I want to upgrade!!

bigtom

Ok. I'm wanting to upgrade to Cubase 7.5, but I'm going to need a new computer to do it. I've been using a PC with Cubase 4 and now I'm thinking of going the Mac route. All I find on there site is the Mini Mac, no towers. Is that all they have now? And to go with 2 hard drives I have to go with the Mini Mac Server (what ever that is). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What are your reasons for switching platforms? Who's site did you find only Mini Mac's? There are a lot of Mac dealers out there.

I have a mack laptop that I use everyday for surfing the web, sending emails, checking out face book and I love it. I can't upgrade to Cubase 7.5 with the PC I have as it doesn't have the pentium processor (I think that's what it's called) mine has the anthiom chip (and that might not be the correct name either). I'm running Windows Office Pro (I think) so I may have to upgrade that as well. All that said my computer runs Cubase 4 with out a single hiccup. I like my MacBook, so I figured I'd like a new Mac for the studio as well.

I looked on Apple's site and that's where I could not find a tower.

I have a mack laptop that I use everyday for surfing the web, sending emails, checking out face book and I love it. I can't upgrade to Cubase 7.5 with the PC I have as it doesn't have the pentium processor (I think that's what it's called) mine has the anthiom chip (and that might not be the correct name either). I'm running Windows Office Pro (I think) so I may have to upgrade that as well. All that said my computer runs Cubase 4 with out a single hiccup. I like my MacBook, so I figured I'd like a new Mac for the studio as well.

I looked on Apple's site and that's where I could not find a tower.

First, if you're serious about recording, your recording computer shouldn't be used for Facebook, surfing crap. That's the fastest way to load your computer with shit that will slow everything down and make it useless for the real time processing you need to produce audio. Just my opinion. Statements such as "may not be the correct name", "I think that's what it's called", "might not be the correct name either" don't help. What do you have? Office Pro is not an OS (operating system such as Windows7, WindowsXP, and whatever Mac uses). Office is a program for business management, not an operating system. Find out what you have. Do some research. Computers don't just do things automatically. You actually have to tell them what to do. BTW, how old are you?

First, if you're serious about recording, your recording computer shouldn't be used for Facebook, surfing crap. That's the fastest way to load your computer with shit that will slow everything down and make it useless for the real time processing you need to produce audio. Just my opinion. Statements such as "may not be the correct name", "I think that's what it's called", "might not be the correct name either" don't help. What do you have? Office Pro is not an OS (operating system such as Windows7, WindowsXP, and whatever Mac uses). Office is a program for business management, not an operating system. Find out what you have. Do some research. Computers don't just do things automatically. You actually have to tell them what to do. BTW, how old are you?

I figured if I came close to the name of the chip you would know what I was talking about. I was wrong. It is Windows XP (I remembered that when I read it in your post). I have no intentions of putting my recording computer on the internet, ever. I have used my current rig since 2008 and it has never been on the internet. I download whatever I need from the net (plugins mostly) to my mac and transfer those via a usb thumbdrive.

I am 52.

...and now I'm thinking of going the Mac route...

Dude, you're in luck. Apple just announced a new Mac Pro today. (LINK) It starts at about $3000usd and goes up to $12k with all the bells and whistles. No seriously, it has bells and whistles and they're pretty gosh-darned expensive.

I am curious here. It seems to me that Cubase is written for Windows for the most part. There are many 'extra' issues with Mac users on the Steinberg site. Not being a Mac user, is that just with older Mac operating systems?

I think a lot of the old headaches have been sorted for the most part.

It seems like things steadied out after version 3 for mac users. The only problem I had going from 3 to 5 (I skipped 4) was having to buy a new intel based mac.

Cubase will still crash every now and again but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be at least for me. I am not on the most recent OS but am running Lion. I didn't see the need to go to mountain lion when cubase forced the upgrade to at least lion.

You can get more bang for you buck sticking with a Windows box. Do you know anyone who would be comfortable helping you build a new system? I built a new DAW for half the price I would pay to buy a similar box retail and probably a third the price for the Apple equivalent. The nice things about Mac's is they generally work well and are very friendly. But you pay a price for that and the ability to upgrade them yourself is greatly diminished.

Before spending any money, you need to do more research (unless you're very rich of course).

I assume your "Anthiom" is a mangled name for an AMD chip...and many of these are as good or better than Pentium and may well run your Cubase upgrade. They have names like "Phenom" or "Opteron" or older ones like "Athlon" (which, when it came out, was faster than that generation of Pentiums).

I'm not saying you don't need a new computer, just that you need a lot more info before you rush out and spend 3 grand on a Mac you may not need.

...and, as others have said, with Windows you'll probably get the same computer power for about half the Apple price. Just about every Windows "problem" people talk about is, in fact, because the load up their machines with tons of downloads and rubbish. If you keep your recording computer as clean as you say, you'll get little or no advantage for the extra spend to get a Mac.

Before spending any money, you need to do more research (unless you're very rich of course).

I assume your "Anthiom" is a mangled name for an AMD chip...and many of these are as good or better than Pentium and may well run your Cubase upgrade. They have names like "Phenom" or "Opteron" or older ones like "Athlon" (which, when it came out, was faster than that generation of Pentiums).

I'm not saying you don't need a new computer, just that you need a lot more info before you rush out and spend 3 grand on a Mac you may not need.

...and, as others have said, with Windows you'll probably get the same computer power for about half the Apple price. Just about every Windows "problem" people talk about is, in fact, because the load up their machines with tons of downloads and rubbish. If you keep your recording computer as clean as you say, you'll get little or no advantage for the extra spend to get a Mac.

How can I find out what's in my computer? Without my having to tear it all apart!

Start>Control Panel>System. This will list your processor.

This is mine. Not the recording PC, the one I use for everything else..

Attachments

• My OS.JPG
    My OS.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 18
With a PC, right click the "Computer" icon on the desk top. Open "properties". With a Mac, unplug the computer, bring it outside, and wave it over your head while clucking like a chicken.

With a PC, right click the "Computer" icon on the desk top. Open "properties". With a Mac, unplug the computer, bring it outside, and wave it over your head while clucking like a chicken.
That's why tree-huggers love Macs.

Congratulations. Now go to the Steinberg website and look for minimum requirements for Cubase7. I'll pass you a roll on your next post.

Mac OS X Version 10.8/10.9* Windows 7/Windows 8.x*
Intel dual core CPU Intel or AMD dual core CPU
CoreAudio compatible audio hardware Windows compatible audio hardware**
2 GB RAM
8 GB of free HD space
Display resolution of 1280 x 800 recommended
DVD-ROM dual-layer drive
USB port for USB-eLicenser (not required for Cubase Elements)
Internet connection required for activation, account setup and personal / product registration. Additional downloads may be required for the installation.

I waiting for my roll......

Back