I really fucking hate this guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, I heard about the lion being shot on Facebook several hours before it turned up on any "conventional media"...and I'm a news junky.
To me, Facebook and twitter are the modern day equivalents to a bunch of old women sitting around in a knitting circle and gossiping about the neighbors. If this is what passes for what sets the agenda in traditional media, I'd rather see us hit by a massive solar flare and pray to god it wipes out the grid in order to quell the noise. :)

Cheers! :)

To me, Facebook and twitter are the modern day equivalents to a bunch of old women sitting around in a knitting circle and gossiping about the neighbors. If this is what passes for what sets the agenda in traditional media, I'd rather see us hit by a massive solar flare and pray to god it wipes out the grid in order to quell the noise. :)

Cheers! :)

Meh. It's just another tool for the media. Your local AM chat station doesn't have reporters in Zimbabwe or Minnesota. In the old day, they'd have depended on one or two news services clattering away on printers in the corner. If they heard about the lion they might have put the story on air and tried to stir up their audience to talk about it. Now it's the reverse they hear what people are chatting about and pander to that.

Neither is a particularly flattering scenario but I slightly prefer the conventional media having to reflect what their audience is talking about...rather than try to control what their listeners know about.

Pass me my crochet hook. We need a new blanket on the back of our couch.

Meh. It's just another tool for the media. Your local AM chat station doesn't have reporters in Zimbabwe or Minnesota. In the old day, they'd have depended on one or two news services clattering away on printers in the corner. If they heard about the lion they might have put the story on air and tried to stir up their audience to talk about it. Now it's the reverse they hear what people are chatting about and pander to that.

Neither is a particularly flattering scenario but I slightly prefer the conventional media having to reflect what their audience is talking about...rather than try to control what their listeners know about.

Pass me my crochet hook. We need a new blanket on the back of our couch.

What are you like with antimacassars?;)

What are you like with antimacassars?;)

I don't hold with antimacassars. What have the Macassars ever done to us that we should be so against them? As far as Facebook and other social media goes, I'm with Bobbsy - I prefer to hear what everybody's talking about rather than the pre-filtered news media. They just want to fill our lives with Kim Kardashian's fat, greasy arse.

A blanket for our three seater couch is just an antimacassar on steroids!

(Seriously, my wife is working on such a thing by making a bunch of squares, some crochet and some knitted, which will be put together into a blanket. I get to do some of the edging under detailed instruction.)

I'm not on facebook. I heard about this through the google. It could have been written by a nazi, a jew, a dyke, a gayboy, a preacher, or a satanist...it does not matter who or what the source is. The fact is this guy flew halfway around the world to kill a lion. I think that's lame as fuck and anyone that supports him, defends him, or speaks for him is lame as fuck. Don't blame the media. That's fucking retarded.

It is interesting that the western world is up in arms about this while, for example, Israel is allowed to reign terror on Gaza with impunity. Israel is supported by the USA and the UK, though, so the real truth of the matter is unlikely to be portrayed on our mainstream media (although I do see lots about it on Facebook, for example, which the mainstream media chooses to ignore), so it's difficult for our societies to get mad about it.

At the same time, however, as Greg says, flying half way round the world to shoot a lion is lame and it isn't unreasonable for people to get pissed off about it. This thread is about the idiot who did that, not about anything else. There are plenty of people who care more about animals than people, perhaps sensibly as humans are shitty and have been shitty to each other for time immemorial, whereas the animals don't operate on the same level of intelligence(!) as we do and don't have much comeback for what we do to them.

Reactions: RFR
Don't assume the USA is the Western world. The terrorist Israeli settlers burning out a Palestinian family and killing an 18 month old was the lead here last night/today.

It's funny how some people can't wrap their heads around the notion that news happens more than one thing at a time, and people can care about more than one thing at a time. I know, crazy!

It is interesting that the western world is up in arms about this while, for example, Israel is allowed to reign terror on Gaza with impunity. Israel is supported by the USA and the UK, though,
no ..... Israel is supported by some in the US ..... others (such as me for instance) think Israel doesn't behave any better than those it condemns and don't want to spend billions supporting them.
As long as they , for example, keep settling in the west bank; they put the lie to their claims of wanting to live in peace.

But, as you said, this thread is NOT about that .... it's about a tiny penis POS dentist and his need to kill.
And it's the same with Cecil the lion ............ there's plenty of Americans that think it's just wonderful that this guy kills animals for fun.

It's just not true that any country is monolithic in what it believes.

Reactions: RFR
no ..... Israel is supported by some in the US ..... others (such as me for instance) think Israel doesn't behave any better than those it condemns and don't want to spend billion supporting them.

Same with Cecil the lion ............ there's plenty of Americans that think it's just wonderful that this guy kills animals for fun.

It's just not true that any country is monolithinc in what it believes.

I get that. I mean their administrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back