I need help converting wav to mp4.

Yep, creative commons allows others to use your work. Shazam work to tag music to people, so if somebody uses your song, Facebook and other platforms know somebody else owns it. It makes mistakes, but when you use distrokid, songtradr and others, they protect your music and keep track of it - for a price, of course. Other companies exist in most countries who register music against people - here in the UK we have PRS, who work for the composers and writers and PPL, who look after recording rights. I make little money from them, but if you enter a song title, it knows who wrote it, who performed it, and broadcasters use them to pay what they owe, same as other big users of music. It also means that if you do arrangements of other people's music, you can get paid for that. I did a slow instrumental of a pice from the 60s/70s, and I got some money because the original artist used my recording as walk on music at the start of his live shows.

Seriously though - the time and effort in manually registering your rights is wasted - It was six years before I got my first PRS payment and it was only a few pounds.
Is Shazam free? Do I sign up and upload my work to be protected?

Do you agree with TAE? If you find out your music was stolen, you could then register your stolen music with copyright.gov, and you could show digital time stamps in court as part of your evidence?
If you register it before they do, sure. If you don't register it and they do, then you're out of luck.

Reactions: TAE
If your intent is being able to sue someone for $$$ if they're making $$$ off of your art in the U.S. you must have a USPTO registered copyright. No registered copyright no legal right to sue...at least here in the U.S. You totally can get that copyright registered after the fact as long as you have proof that you are the original creator...e.g. the CC , the email, the posting of it on Youtube etc. Before the digital world a sealed unopened registered letter would work to get it registered...THEN you could sue...None of the TIMESTAMP evidence of creation does you any good without that USPTO registered copyright.
If you register it before they do, sure. If you don't register it and they do, then you're out of luck.

Unless the law has changed like it has with Patents I would say that is not true... For sure with patents it was recently changed to the tap tap no tag backs way...which I think is BS but is now the way it is. I believe with copyright if you have proof you were the first to create the art you can get their copyright invalidated and get yours validated... I am serving as an expert witness in a design patent case right now that has nothing to with music. I am not a lawyer but I have been tortured by them being prepped and then interrogated in a deposition and it is a nasty money making scam IMO. The reality is this most often...the golden rule... the man with the gold makes the rules. In my case the man with the gold is suing people for infringement that are really not infringing...in a effort to cut out the competition...asshat For sure the company I am testifying for has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars defending themselves over a bullshit lawsuit...

With copyright it can be equally ugly as we have seen many times in the news...sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but it takes $$$ to get a lawyer to fight the infringer...unless you can get a lawyer to take it on a contingency..for that it would have to be a black n white win going in.

1694266439626.png

Who can afford the kind of legal work involved? Only the record comapnies really - who recover it from the artists. Crazy system. Remember when Paul McCartney once had to pay Michael Jackson every time he played Yesterday? That really must have stuck in his throat. An artist from the 70s I still follow as a fan - and she knows pretty well everyone who gos to the live shows, for years couldn't receive anything from her one hit, or worse, even release any of the back cataologue of music the change in record companies had sold to somebody else. It turned out that her label was bought effectively by Elton John, who she bumped into and he knew nothing about the record company sitting on all her work, and he sorted the return of it to her. A crazy situation really.
-

TAE said..."Microsofts new video editor is similar but more cloud based me no likey..." And nor should you friend!
People are not aware that a "cloud" is actually a server farm size of a footy pitch and uses megawatts of electricity and millions of litres of water for cooling. They are a huge problem for the planet. Fun fact: It is estimated that if plans are approved in a few years ONE THIRD of the electrical consumption of Ireland will be by server farms.

Millions of people dump billions of photos every year to a cloud and never look at them again but the data still has to be kept.

Sorry for the OT rant.

Dave.
Thanks. I was not aware of this. I know this is a different subject, but I refuse to sign up for tik tok. Tik Tok is owned by China, where they have forced abortions, concentration camps, as well as many more human rights abuses.

If your intent is being able to sue someone for $$$ if they're making $$$ off of your art in the U.S. you must have a USPTO registered copyright. No registered copyright no legal right to sue...at least here in the U.S. You totally can get that copyright registered after the fact as long as you have proof that you are the original creator...e.g. the CC , the email, the posting of it on Youtube etc. Before the digital world a sealed unopened registered letter would work to get it registered...THEN you could sue...None of the TIMESTAMP evidence of creation does you any good without that USPTO registered copyright.

Unless the law has changed like it has with Patents I would say that is not true... For sure with patents it was recently changed to the tap tap no tag backs way...which I think is BS but is now the way it is. I believe with copyright if you have proof you were the first to create the art you can get their copyright invalidated and get yours validated... I am serving as an expert witness in a design patent case right now that has nothing to with music. I am not a lawyer but I have been tortured by them being prepped and then interrogated in a deposition and it is a nasty money making scam IMO. The reality is this most often...the golden rule... the man with the gold makes the rules. In my case the man with the gold is suing people for infringement that are really not infringing...in a effort to cut out the competition...asshat For sure the company I am testifying for has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars defending themselves over a bullshit lawsuit...

With copyright it can be equally ugly as we have seen many times in the news...sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but it takes $$$ to get a lawyer to fight the infringer...unless you can get a lawyer to take it on a contingency..for that it would have to be a black n white win going in.

View attachment 133130
Would you personally use cc? I know ounce you put a cc license on your music, you can not change it, but I feel I would have more evidence if I have both timestamps and cc. If I found music my music was stolen, I would of course register copyright.

If I time stamp all my music that are wav files would it matter that my music would be converted later into video and other files? Would I be okay with just the original wav file timestamps of my music?

Would you personally use cc? I know ounce you put a cc license on your music, you can not change it, but I feel I would have more evidence if I have both timestamps and cc. If I found music my music was stolen, I would of course register copyright.

If I time stamp all my music that are wav files would it matter that my music would be converted later into video and other files? Would I be okay with just the original wav file timestamps of my music?
I don't CC anything but by putting it out there on Youtube and places like soundcloud, soundclick ...For originals I'll also put it out on Distrokid (now distrovid cause they monitor videos now) ... I pay @ $99 a year) which kind of monitors outside use...( I've made $1.77 in 3 years) it is a write off on your federal taxes BTW if you file long form as I do .....no matter where my work is posted it's as time stamped as it can be. I am totally cool with that for me...If by some weird chance something original I do happens to catch fire...snowball in hell chances...I would start the process of cease and desist and get it registered with the USPTO...Not holding my breath... ;) BTW you can upload covers on distrokid ( I don't) but the extra fees they charge at least for me isn't worth it...yet...

I confused with my Shazam mention. It is nothing to do with copyright, it just listens, compares and tells you what the music is and who stuck it on the net.my most popular piece of music is of all things, an electronic version of a classical bit of music, that has been in the public domain for years. My arrangement is of course what is protected, and what makes me a teeny bit of money. The very strange thing is the places around the world where people are shazaming it? Something is keeping it alive over in the Middle East and Africa. It’s a constant, every month. I think YouTube, Google, Facebook and others use the same database. The other thing is America has different rules on covers. People can stream covers worldwide with no problems, but not in America, where copyright adds more protection. Non US folk get directed to Harry Fox but I’ve tried and as an outsider, trying to register with them is difficult, I gave up, just exclude America from the drop down list and all is well.

I don't CC anything but by putting it out there on Youtube and places like soundcloud, soundclick ...For originals I'll also put it out on Distrokid (now distrovid cause they monitor videos now) ... I pay @ $99 a year) which kind of monitors outside use...( I've made $1.77 in 3 years) it is a write off on your federal taxes BTW if you file long form as I do .....no matter where my work is posted it's as time stamped as it can be. I am totally cool with that for me...If by some weird chance something original I do happens to catch fire...snowball in hell chances...I would start the process of cease and desist and get it registered with the USPTO...Not holding my breath... ;) BTW you can upload covers on distrokid ( I don't) but the extra fees they charge at least for me isn't worth it...yet...
This is a good post, and perhaps you could end up having success with your music? Could you answer my second question, even if you think it is a stupid question? If I time stamp all my original music that are wav files would it matter that my music would be converted later into video and other files? Would I be okay with just the original wav file timestamps of my music as evidence? I was thinking about timestamping my music at digistamp.com and I have copy's of all my music on cd rom's.

I confused with my Shazam mention. It is nothing to do with copyright, it just listens, compares and tells you what the music is and who stuck it on the net.my most popular piece of music is of all things, an electronic version of a classical bit of music, that has been in the public domain for years. My arrangement is of course what is protected, and what makes me a teeny bit of money. The very strange thing is the places around the world where people are shazaming it? Something is keeping it alive over in the Middle East and Africa. It’s a constant, every month. I think YouTube, Google, Facebook and others use the same database. The other thing is America has different rules on covers. People can stream covers worldwide with no problems, but not in America, where copyright adds more protection. Non US folk get directed to Harry Fox but I’ve tried and as an outsider, trying to register with them is difficult, I gave up, just exclude America from the drop down list and all is well.
I am going to research Shazam, and that is strange to find out how your music is being played in certain countries. I live in America and I also do not like our copyright laws.

This is a good post, and perhaps you could end up having success with your music? Could you answer my second question, even if you think it is a stupid question? If I time stamp all my original music that are wav files would it matter that my music would be converted later into video and other files? Would I be okay with just the original wav file timestamps of my music as evidence? I was thinking about timestamping my music at digistamp.com and I have copy's of all my music on cd rom's.
Yes the timestamp ( proof of origin date) is all you will need to justify getting it registered with the USPTO later if you need to...doesn't matter what format it is in as long as the examiner can see the date of origin and listen to the audio. The digistamp probably isn't necessary but adds a layer of protection and proof. Hope that helps

Reactions: grh
The free ones I have tried to use all seem to have limitations and nag ware to get you to "upgrade"..Microsoft movie maker is free and what I have used to make my pretty amatuer videos like the one below. Microsofts new video editor is similar but more cloud based me no likey...

With regard to do you have to you have to use a video editor to create a video for youtube..The answer is within the question..an mp4 is a video so no matter if it is one image that runs the full length of the audio or a bunch of images and transitions as mine below...you need to create a video and thus need a video editor to do so pretty simple stuff now that I'm used to it but as with anything there's a learning curve

https://kannadamasti.cc/best-3-ways-to-convert-wav-to-mp4/

Hi! I was able to successfully rip a track from a cd and shorten and save it as a .wav file for conversion to an mp4 ringtone but when I try to convert it using dBpowerAMP it only gives 3 options on the drop down menu - none of which are the mp4 as it is supposed to. Converting it to an mp3 results in a silent ringtone. The drop down menu options are: mp3(lame), test conversion (no write) and wav. Why doesn't it show mp4??? :(

Hi! I was able to successfully rip a track from a cd and shorten and save it as a .wav file for conversion to an mp4 ringtone but when I try to convert it using dBpowerAMP it only gives 3 options on the drop down menu - none of which are the mp4 as it is supposed to. Converting it to an mp3 results in a silent ringtone. The drop down menu options are: mp3(lame), test conversion (no write) and wav. Why doesn't it show mp4??? :(
Maybe it's because you're using an audio tool when you need a tool meant for a primarily video format.

You still seem mvery confused? We are reading that you want to convert a sound file to a video file? We have got this bit correct, I assume. The snag you have is that to do it, you need to glue a sound file to an image or a video. You've not mentioned what the picture info will be? It's possible you are trying to create a video file, but without the picture. 3 mins of black might be detected as an error by some software, so you need some kind of video content - a still pic converted to video works fine, but whatever you use to create it MUST be able to produce video, then slap your soundtrack on it.

I think there is an MP4 audio format, but it might only be found in video editing software since it's a variation of the video format.

When I create an mp4 I note my software actually creates a video file, and an AAC audio file, then these 'vanish' and get put into the mp4 wrapper?

Slightly OTT but has anyone found an app/progg/process that can rip sound from a dvd? I have Audition 1.5 which SHOULD do it but all I get is white noise at 0dBFS!

I have to do it in real time with Audacity.

Dave.

try copying the video file and renaming it to ABC.mp4 - then you can remove the audio from the video file. Only works for about 90% of the files I used to do it on, but worth a go.

Back