I need help converting wav to mp4.

grh

I am surprisingly having difficulty finding a way to convert wav to mp4. If I use a site like freeconvert.com, is there a chance my personal files could be stolen? What does everyone use to convert wav to mp4?

Why do you need an mp4 audio file? Although it can be used for an audio-only file, it's primarily used for video. I can render an audio mp4 from my audio/video software (Vegas Pro) by deselecting video in the render parameters, but I've never had any need to do such a thing.

I am surprisingly having difficulty finding a way to convert wav to mp4. If I use a site like freeconvert.com, is there a chance my personal files could be stolen? What does everyone use to convert wav to mp4?
I do not convert Wav files to Mp4 files - that said I'm on a Mac and if I had the inkling I would use Compressor.

This is for YouTube. I need to convert from wav to a file YouTube will accept.
YouTube wants a video "container" file for upload, and you're trying to submit just an audio file. You'll need to make a slideshow or something with at least a still image that displays for the length of your audio track. I would use iMovie on an Apple product. I don't know if Windows has an equivalent anymore.

Reactions: TAE
YouTube wants a video "container" file for upload, and you're trying to submit just an audio file. You'll need to make a slideshow or something with at least a still image that displays for the length of your audio track. I would use iMovie on an Apple product. I don't know if Windows has an equivalent anymore.
For Windows download Microsoft windows movie maker..Make sure you're downloading Microsoft's version... several third party that come up when you search...Windows 11 comes with video editor but I like Movie Maker better

For Windows download Microsoft windows movie maker..Make sure you're downloading Microsoft's version... several third party that come up when you search...Windows 11 comes with video editor but I like Movie Maker better
Why do you recommend microsoft movie maker over third party versions?

Any basic video editor should work, but for YouTube there needs to be some visual element, even if it's just a still image.
I just wan't to have one still image combined with my audio. Do I need a video editor for that? Would YouTube have the built in tools?

Why do you recommend microsoft movie maker over third party versions?
The free ones I have tried to use all seem to have limitations and nag ware to get you to "upgrade"..Microsoft movie maker is free and what I have used to make my pretty amatuer videos like the one below. Microsofts new video editor is similar but more cloud based me no likey...

With regard to do you have to you have to use a video editor to create a video for youtube..The answer is within the question..an mp4 is a video so no matter if it is one image that runs the full length of the audio or a bunch of images and transitions as mine below...you need to create a video and thus need a video editor to do so pretty simple stuff now that I'm used to it but as with anything there's a learning curve

Last edited:
The free ones I have tried to use all seem to have limitations and nag are to get you to "upgrade"..Microsoft movie maker is free and what I have used to make my pretty amatuer videos like the one below. Microsofts new video editor is similar but more cloud based me no likey...

With regard to do you have to you have to use a video editor to create a video for youtube..The answer is within the question..an mp4 is a video so no matter if it is one image that runs the full length of the audio or a bunch of images and transitions as mine below...you need to create a video and thus need a video editor to do so pretty simple stuff now that I'm used to it but as with anything there's a learning curve

Thanks. Did you know you posted a link about converting mp3 to mp4 when I asked about wav to mp4 conversion? I assume movie maker allows me to use my wav files to make the video? Are you sure movie maker is still free? No watermarks?

Thanks. Did you know you posted a link about converting mp3 to mp4 when I asked about wav to mp4 conversion? I assume movie maker allows me to use my wav files to make the video? Are you sure movie maker is still free? No watermarks?
A wave file should be just fine ..with regard to Movie Maker I know it's free because I just downloaded on my new computer that came with Microsoft video editor I know it didn't have a watermark before so I see no reason why it would now...Good Luck!

You also asked if it was OK to use software and wondered if your personal files could be stolen? If you stick something on youtube, you'e inviting people to steal your files anyway, so I don't quite get what you mean?

I want to try to protect my files by using a digital time stamp. I assumed I was going to time stamp the video file that would be on youtube that would contain my originial music from the wav files. I would like to timestamp my wav files and be done with it, but I assume I should timestamp the video file?

If you post it on Youtube, it can be captured, and the audio can be extracted with minimal effort. The best you can hope for is if you have the copyright and its registered and Youtube is aware of it, they can flag it for copyright use and you might get any money, or you can have it removed. You better have a major label behind you, like Metallica or The Eagles.

I have one video that was de-monetized because of a minute and a half of Pretty Woman at a jam session, out of a 30 minute video. I hope they put the .000000001 cents to good use from the 48 views!

I want to try to protect my files by using a digital time stamp. I assumed I was going to time stamp the video file that would be on youtube that would contain my originial music from the wav files. I would like to timestamp my wav files and be done with it, but I assume I should timestamp the video file?
Take the file you created and put it on a usb stick and save it in a safe place.....also e-mail it to your self....both are proof of the pudding that you were in possession of said audio file at that time and date you are trying to document... I am assuming you did not formally copyright this. Here's the deal...you may be overthinking all of this. You may love this work but realistically the odds of it ever generating enough money to make you take legal action are worse than winning the lottery. I quit worrying about this kind of stuff years ago I just go for it and put it out there for my own personal pleasure and to share with my friends and loved ones.

You can embed metadata in the audio file, put watermarks on images and people will still steal them and strip out what you put on. The only thing that really matters is who comes up on shazam. I'm up to $8 a month now for audio files. If you want people to hear your music, then I can't think of any way to protect it?

Protect your files or protect your songs?? If you're looking to protect files, maybe just encrypt them.

In the US, the only protection you have for your songs is to register them with the copyright office. Putting some kind of timestamp via youtube does nothing. But as TAE said, unless you're in the big time, ain't no one stealing your songs and you ain't losing any money.

I don't think you can post encrypted files on Youtube. Encrypting WAV or MP3 files is pointless. If nobody can play it, what is the point?

Back