I need help converting wav to mp4.

I use HandBrake to create mp4 versions of songs on concert DVDs, then just drag the MP4 into Audacity and convert it to MP3 or WAV. I will usually use DVD Decrypter to pull the DVD down to my hard drive because Handbrake works faster that way. I've also converted DVD movies to MP4 so I can put them on a hard drive and watch them on my smart TV. Handbrake will let you convert the entire show, or by title. You can adjust the audio output to higher bitrate.

Here's a screenshot from a DVD that I dumped to hard disk using Decrypter then pulled into HandBrake. It shows the audio options. Set it for fast video encoding, but good audio. Then dump the file into Audacity and save it in your format. Works like a charm on about 99% of the DVDs unless they have a special copy protection. I've only had a couple that wouldn't work... DaVinci Code was one.

Handbrake.jpg

Dave, I also found that VLC player will let you export audio from a DVD. It's under Convert, and you just choose the type as Audio-CD. You can even tell it to just convert a time selection, like if a song goes from 22:13 to 27:45, you can specify that under options, and only that section will be converted.

Here are two segments from the same DVD. One was done via VLC as Wav, then converted to MP3 with Audacity, the other was ripped with DVD Decrypter to file, then Handbrake to extract that section of video, the converted from MP4 to MP3 via Audacity. See if you hear much difference

VLC was the faster process, as you could just do a selection from the DVD.

Attachments

• Decrypt - Handbrake - Audacity.mp3
    1,018 KB
  • VLC Convert to CD Wav to MP3.mp3
    1,019.6 KB
Thank you Rich I shall give that a do when I have a moment. Re the copyright issue? I only need to rip sound from DVDs I have burned on Freeview recorders so it may not apply?

I am a bit annoyed with VLC at the moment. I opened the laptop Christmas eve morning to find all my .wav files had turned into traffic cones! WTF do they DO that?

Dave.

Changing the associations of media files often happens during updates if you don't specifically say to update and don't change settings. I've had it happen before. But you can swap them back pretty quickly by right clicking on the media file and change the properties to associate with the program you like. It's like Microsoft always wants to make EDGE my default browser after an update.

Yeah it's a pain but easily fixed if you know what you're doing.

As for the copyright issues, I just do this for my personal use, If CBS Productions wants to sue me for ripping some episodes of NCIS to put on my laptop or phone so I can watch them when I travel, well, bring it on. I have the physical discs, and I think that is all covered under the Fair Use laws in the US. I'm sure UK will be similar.

Now if you're posting them on the 'net for others to download, then you will probably have an issue. That goes back to the old Napster days and we know how that all turned out.

Last edited:
Back