I got a job!

I know this is not necessarily the right place to post this, but I couldn't figure which would be better.

anyhow, I GOT A JOB!!!

A few months ago, I asked a recording engineer in town who I've done projects in town with in the past if I could intern under him, he said yes, but it took until last week that I was actually in the studio.

Half way through the sessions, he told me that, the person in control room B was going on a 5 month tour, and that he was going to rent it out to somebody and couldn't find anybody. Corin, the guy in the room, said he wanted to find someone who would take a sublet, so that he could return in the future after his tour.

I'm basically the perfect candidate for this because I'm planning on moving to a different city in november, so I took up the offer. I'ts $400 a month for the room, and only $50 a week for his gear, which consists of several top of the line mic pres (UA, Vintec, Pendulum Audio, Earthworks) and outboard stuff like a Urei compressor, and the like.

SHWEEET!
Anyway, thought id let you all know of my recent triumph.

I know this is not necessarily the right place to post this, but I couldn't figure which would be better.

anyhow, I GOT A JOB!!!

A few months ago, I asked a recording engineer in town who I've done projects in town with in the past if I could intern under him, he said yes, but it took until last week that I was actually in the studio.

Half way through the sessions, he told me that, the person in control room B was going on a 5 month tour, and that he was going to rent it out to somebody and couldn't find anybody. Corin, the guy in the room, said he wanted to find someone who would take a sublet, so that he could return in the future after his tour.

I'm basically the perfect candidate for this because I'm planning on moving to a different city in november, so I took up the offer. I'ts $400 a month for the room, and only $50 a week for his gear, which consists of several top of the line mic pres (UA, Vintec, Pendulum Audio, Earthworks) and outboard stuff like a Urei compressor, and the like.

SHWEEET!
Anyway, thought id let you all know of my recent triumph.

Congratulations dude!

Congrats, Rene, sounds pretty sweet indeed! I'm very happy for you :).

I don't suppose one or two of those pres would just happen to disappear right about the time you move to the new city and change your name, will they? (hint hint) ;) :D

G.

Ha ha, Glen, you know I'd never!

It'll be my first experiance working with REAL pres though, im pretty excited (and worried that I'll not use them properly)

thought I'd also post THIS

haha

Funny thats it performed by the miracles. For in this economy it is a miracle to get a job especially in a studio.
Great... lets see some good mixes now.

:cool:

Hey that's great! :cool:

So I take it that's $400 +$50 for you to rent the room/gear...but what is the actual job/work...?

Do you have to bring in your own or will they "funnel" it to you from their overflow?

Hey that's great! :cool:

So I take it that's $400 +$50 for you to rent the room/gear...but what is the actual job/work...?

Do you have to bring in your own or will they "funnel" it to you from their overflow?

Actually it's $400 per month for the room (average $92 week).

And $50 week for the gear.

Approx $142 week overhead, even cheaper than my overhead.

What hourly rate can the studio charge? Even at $50 / hr that's 3 hours a week to break even, but you have to bring in the work.

Cheers
Alan.

What happens if you don't do any sessions. Do you owe this guy $450. a month when he gets back?

No because he will be able to add up.

$400 month plus $50 week is approx $616.66 a month, or as I already said above, approx $142 a week.

Cheers

Alan.

Even though the OP has to pay off his overhead, three hours per week is pretty minimal. If he can't cover that, and then some, he's got more basic problems that paying back his overhead.

He should be able to use the 5 months to recruit clients, get some nice education and develop a portfolio. Unless he screws up, he should be sitting pretty for more work beyond that.

I would keep an eye on equipment sneaking out of the rack and going on tour with what's his name.

Even though the OP has to pay off his overhead, three hours per week is pretty minimal. If he can't cover that, and then some, he's got more basic problems that paying back his overhead.
Exactly. I wold hope that Rene is not gambling at all; all it takes is one client with one demo album project and he can have the first month or two paid for. Get three projects like that lined up before you even sign the sublet, and you're guaranteed the five months will cost you nothing but your time. Anything above that is income.

G.

$600/mo is very low for even any kind of plain old office space around here. But the thread title "I got a job!" isn't exactly what this is. The OP's renting a furnished tracking room. Might end up with self employment income too if he's fed a steady stream of clients, or can get up and running attracting his own within the 6 months he's got there. Like Todzilla said though, building a portfolio is valuable too. And get the equipment list in writing before you sign, dude! And who's responsible for maintaining insurance on the room re gear theft, customer injury liability, fire, etc?

But the thread title "I got a job!" isn't exactly what this is.

Yeah...that's what confused me too...which is why I asked what the actual work was and would the engineer that is renting him the space/gear funnel any work his way, or if Rene already had work waiting?

Granted, $450 is not major overheard for a studio if you have a few projects heading your way...
...but then, it's amazing how fast a month can go by these days! :)

Not to mention, Rene may have a tracking room at ones disposal but does one have to wait ones turn to use the live room or any other recording room being that this is only the "B"control room ?
For I'm sure that the "A" control room gets to go first with the best times - etc.

OK OK, sorry to leave you all hanging.

Here's the scoop. I pay 450 a month (400 for the room, and 50 for the gear rental, thats per month, not week)

I can charge any rate I want to charge, for the sake of learning, I think I'm going to be charging pretty low if I can't get a normal rate.

The catch is this, to have priority on the live room, I need to give the head engineer 10 dollars an hour, otherwise, if I don't pay him for it, we've established that he can kick me out of the room in the case that he has a paying customer.

So, I need 113 a week to break even, not baaaaad.

I do not really yet have clients lined up though, I'm trying to get me some before June 1st (that's when I get the studio), I already have a couple that are looking promising enough to break even (which is all I'm interested in doing at this point, though making money would be cool) I'll ask Scott, the head engineer, about picking up overflow.

ALSO, I havn't signed anything yet, but the guys going on tour with an electronic band, not to for sound or recording purposes, i think the gear is safe on the rack. The guy on tour expects 250 when he returns for the gear rental, all the other money is Scotts responsibility.

Hope that answered any questions.

You just have to jockey real good for the live room:(. and maybe with your lower than normal rates you could do weird late night trackings to make sure you can have the room.
Now don't cut yourself short. If you charge a low price who will you get ?
Charge normal fees and all will be good....

Back