HR Members guitar design and build thread

ya' know ...... I will apologize for my role in distracting the thread.
I'm just in a mood about life in general and, in particular, arguing with people about stuff.

What I should have said, instead of being a smartass, was that muttley and I might just be destined to not agree about this.
But even more specifically, I'm not sure there can even be a definitive answer to our disagreement. Vibration and transmission of same is pretty complex and because of woods nature .... it can behave in unpredictable ways.

Ultimately I really respect and like muttley and I regret giving any other impression.
That doesn't mean I'm always gonna agree and it doesn't mean I'll just bend over and accept his word as biblical and inerrant. That's probably hubris on my part but I tend to keep my own opinions of things in a lotta situations.
No one should probably take my opinion over muttleys but sometimes I will and that's just the way it goes.

Now back on track ...... let's get this guitar designed that I'll want and not be able to have.

:)

In my view you were participating in an on topic discussion that was part of what I'd hoped this thread would become.

I've always felt that mahogany necks were too flexible leading to tuning issues.

But I don't actually know ..... I suppose I've attributed tuning problems with 'bendy' mahogany necks but it may actually be as stiff as maple and the tuning issues were from other things.
Muttley?

Mahogany has been and remains the neck wood of choice for most of the acoustic guitars (including 12 strings) that have ever been built. These are typically strung up with higher tension strings than electrics. Most Les Pauls, PRS, SGs, 335s, and many, many others, have mahogany necks. It is one of the most stable woods known. Maple bends more easily.

Edit: I should add that when I refer to mahogany I am speaking of Honduras mahogany, not one of the many similar species that are being called mahogany these days.

Last edited:
Mahogany has been and remains the neck wood of choice for most of the acoustic guitars (including 12 strings) that have ever been built..
but typically they have shorter necks and are joined to the body much sooner than electrics.
It is one of the most stable woods known. Maple bends more easily
really?

I wouldn't have thought that. SGs have mahogany necks and they are absolutely flexible. But maybe it's not honduras mahogany?

Cockmunch you are laughable, just to place this in perspective and throw a few home truths at you.

I started this thread after chatting about it with charter. She renamed it and stickied it.
I started it because I'm on crutches for an extended period and cant get on in the workshop as a result.
I started it because I thought some people here may have found it interesting.

I don't really care what you think the motives were or are. Why should I?

Now on to the home truths about you.

It is you your attitude that is poor. It is you that have contributed nothing to this thread except attempt to derail and mock it. Why?

Because you are typical of a number of members here that post regularly but post nothing of worth. I'm going to guess that you originally signed up here to find the answer to some question or other because you had an idea that you'd quite like to do some recording. Maybe you wanted to check out some opinions on a piece of kit you were thinking of buying. Having got that info you then proceed to do fuck all about it for the next 2 years losing site of the reason you came here in the first place, Instead you spend nearly all your free time posting negative stuff wherever you can. Why is this cockmunch?

Seriously a quick scan of you activity in the OT boards over the last few months shows that the vast majority of your posts have been negative and deliberately antagonistic. Most of them appear in this thread. Prior to that just about every post is a one line off the cuff needless comment of some sort. You need to refocus cockmunch you have completely lost sight of what and why.

Check out your post history..and you think my attitude is poor.

You don't bug me cockmunch you never will because as it stands you don't count. Falling out with Lt. bugs me because he is a decent guy with a proven track record and loads of worth to contribute here. I'm pretty sure me and him will pick it up along the way if we want to. You on the other hand will continue as you are I'm sure. Good luck..

Blah blah, piss and wind old man.

I started off with the same interest in this thread as quite a few others, I see most of them have since lost interest eh?

Interest went after reading too many of your "I'm never wrong" posts and I left you to it.

Take a wee look a while later and your still dishing out the same old crap, to Lt this time, there ya go, end result, you had to type all that rubbish and I still think you should stop throwing the top away everytime you open a bottle.

You take it easy on that knee tho dude. :)

SGs have gone through a wide variety of neck profiles. I agree that the popular wide flat profile is pretty flexible. Some of the others, not so much. Is it your experience that Les Pauls and 335s have this problem?

Blah blah, piss and wind old man.

I started off with the same interest in this thread as quite a few others, I see most of them have since lost interest eh?

Interest went after reading too many of your "I'm never wrong" posts and I left you to it.

Take a wee look a while later and your still dishing out the same old crap, to Lt this time, there ya go, end result, you had to type all that rubbish and I still think you should stop throwing the top away everytime you open a bottle.

You take it easy on that knee tho dude. :)

:rolleyes:

One more useless on topic post cockmunch well done. I say again.. You need to refocus. You achieve nothing.

You on the other hand will continue as you are I'm sure. Good luck..

On a neck thru I would use a lamination of two timbers to kill any possible movement.. Neither mahagany or maple are bad choices. As for one over the other they both have advantages and disadvantages. They both typically have similar movement in service, mahogany to my mind tends to move a little quicker of the two but that is just a general observation and could be what Lt is experiencing with mahogany necks but there are huge differences even among the same species..

I tend to find that mahogany necks can be troublesome when playing out holding tune.. I nearly always gig with a maple neck these days but prefer the feel and tone of mahogany..

Mahogany is more "flexible" generally. That can be dealt with by the right choice of truss rod.

Wow. I came back to this thread to say that it must be me, but these "build a guitar" threads just go so long I lose interest way before they wear themselves out- and I find the usual "I'm smarter than you are" crap, all over again.

(Sigh.)

No shit. Where's this thing at now? Is Milnoque still making ugly drawings? Have yall decided on anything yet? This thing should be finished by now! :D

Whats the matter cockmunch can't post on that group yet...:laughings:

Thats where we are headed once we've had enough of you here. You're a bitter, useless waster cockmunch and you will never be anything else.

Now go ahead and make another of those useful on topic posts of yours..:rolleyes:

Calm down multi, you'll hurt yourself. :)

I almost spilled my mini cheddars laughing at you. :D

Calm down multi, you'll hurt yourself. :)

I almost spilled my mini cheddars laughing at you. :D

Another excellent on topic post. Good one cockmunch.

Cue the next fan boy post. Tell you what, post a bunch of them and try and construct a whole paragraph....

I sincerely hope that this materialises into a decent guitar after all this falling out. :D

However, I feel that someting designed by committee is always going to end up looking like the guitar version of an anteater, or a Platypus. :D

Back