How to get more volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the comments guys i've worked my way out with the mix to something louder and it sounds good now.

I can see that the subject has gone way far from where it started but its entertaining so keep it up hehehe :P
Glad you worked it out. Now, ignore most of what has been said, because most of it is more mis-information than actual good information. I'm getting out of here before I get stupider than I already am. :eek:

Having trouble attaching this but here's another go at it.

image.jpg

Anyway, not really sure what all there is to argue so much about here. Dude asked how to make it louder and I suggested a way to do so, which works (yes there are other ways to achieve the effect). But I mean if you want to argue about it there's really not much else I can say.

Hey RAMI, I reread the thread and I see now where you said "slap a limiter on" it. So being that I'm one to apologize when I'm wrong, I retract where I said the question hasn't been answered as it had.

Hopefully somewhere between "slap a limiter on" and the specific instructions I provided, OP can get sorted out.

Me too! When is the mix complete? When I run out of time to mix it.

yeah, I learned awhile back that I'd never be "done". In fact, I just loaded some tunes I did like 10 years ago and thought, "hmmm, I should retrack that. I should remix that."
And then I smacked myself upside the head and got a beer.
:D

Me too! When is the mix complete? When I run out of time to mix it.

yeah, I learned awhile back that I'd never be "done". In fact, I just loaded some tunes I did like 10 years ago and thought, "hmmm, I should retrack that. I should remix that."
And then I smacked myself upside the head and got a beer.
:D
Yup. I just got a bunch of new gear, including a new interface. I also posted a tune a few days ago in the CLINIC, and the changes I made to it based on the help I got from others made me go listen to a few of my recent tunes. Now, I want to re-mix all of them and re-track the drums on some of them. It never ends unless you just tell yourself you need to move on.

I actually considered contacting one of the studios I recorded an album at like 10 years ago that I've never really been happy with to try and track down the DATs so that I could remix it! Then I too slapped myself.

I learned finally at some point I just gotta click "mixdown" and move on! Knowing full well it will never be "right" - or even if it is, it won't be when I listen back months (years?) later.

Again, THRESHOLD and PEAK/CEILING (same thing) are 2 different things.

Right.

Threashold is where you want the limiter to kick in, as you already said.
Ceiling is sort of like the "safety net" above the signal, saying how far any peak should go.

So...you can have treshold set at -10 dBFS, which will engage the limiter every time a signal is hotter than -10....and then set your highest point that you want any signal peak to go with the ceiling (there are probably other terms for it).

Yup. I just got a bunch of new gear, including a new interface. I also posted a tune a few days ago in the CLINIC, and the changes I made to it based on the help I got from others made me go listen to a few of my recent tunes. Now, I want to re-mix all of them and re-track the drums on some of them. It never ends unless you just tell yourself you need to move on.

Agree! Worst is when an album goes over the course of a year. I'm usually just so out if gas at the end that I won't go back into the first few tunes even if I know I should. I know once I start tinkering the whole can of worms gets opened/ LAW OF DIMINISHING RETURNS!

Right.

Threashold is where you want the limiter to kick in, as you already said.
Ceiling is sort of like the "safety net" above the signal, saying how far any peak should go.

So...you can have treshold set at -10 dBFS, which will engage the limiter every time a signal is hotter than -10....and then set your highest point that you want any signal peak to go with the ceiling (there are probably other terms for it).

Yes. Thank you for clarifying and apologies to OP for the bum dope. Mine says ceiling and when I dial it down the threshold goes down with it simultaneously. Pretty bare bones plug in. There are much more robust limiters out there!

Never said it was. I believe I even said "cheesy" and "faux" to differentiate that what I suggested is anything but "real" mastering, which yes indeed includes elements beyond volume.

I wasn't talking to you. It was just a general comment for the sake of clarification because "mastering" gets thrown around a lot the wrong way. You don't have to defend yourself in every single post.

I wasn't talking to you. It was just a general comment for the sake of clarification because "mastering" gets thrown around a lot the wrong way. You don't have to defend yourself in every single post.

Sounds good. Have a good one!

POIDH....:)

What did you get?
Hehe...I think I've listed my new stuff about 30 times in the last week. It just keeps coming up. I'll probably forget something, but I got the Epi SG that I posted about a few months ago, a Fender Super Champ X2, a TASCAM US-1800 interface, an SE 2200a II C microphone, all new skins on my drums, and.....I'm sure a thing or two that I'm forgetting right now.

Hehe...I think I've listed my new stuff about 30 times in the last week. It just keeps coming up. I'll probably forget something, but I got the Epi SG that I posted about a few months ago, a Fender Super Champ X2, a TASCAM US-1800 interface, an SE 2200a II C microphone, all new skins on my drums, and.....I'm sure a thing or two that I'm forgetting right now.

Monitors.

Hehe...I think I've listed my new stuff about 30 times in the last week..

Sorry. :D

You how it is with audio gear acquisition....it's almost like "we just had a baby" , and everyone wants to check it out.
Actually....I'm more interested in new audio gear! :p

I got these JBL's: JBL S-38 CH STUDIO MONITORS

Those are literally the ones I have in my house. I can't believe that Craiglist ad is still up. :eek:

Nice looking....how do they sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back