How to devide 11m x 5.7m space

Squiksilvery

Hello everyone,

I have a detached single garage next to my house (In the UK), and some land next to it where I could extend the garage to make a 11 metre by 5.7 metre building (externally).

I record all sorts of genres but generally rock bands so would like:

1) A Control room
2) A Live room
3) An amp room
4) A vocal booth (double as additional amp room)

How would you guys divide the space?

I want to draw up a plan and get some building quotes, and start my studio business.

Cheers

Ed

Hello everyone,

I have a detached single garage next to my house (In the UK), and some land next to it where I could extend the garage to make a 11 metre by 5.7 metre building (externally).

I record all sorts of genres but generally rock bands so would like:

1) A Control room
2) A Live room
3) An amp room
4) A vocal booth (double as additional amp room)

How would you guys divide the space?

I want to draw up a plan and get some building quotes, and start my studio business.

Cheers

Ed
Studio business? Hmm, not a great idea. I have my studio as part of my business, but my music company branches out in a few directions. I wouldn't suggest having the studio as the only part of your business. There's not much money in it.

I'm not sure you'd need to split to 4 rooms. I have 4 rooms, but only because that's the way it worked out. Couldn't do it any other way.

There's loads of options open to you though. I'd just work with two rooms, control and live. But if you want booths, then that's certainly possible.

Here's a couple of really quick suggestions. Choose which one you like, or suggest another, and I'll draw it up in detail. Square rooms are bad. Rectangular rooms are better, but still not great. If you want rectangular rooms, then you can sort some the problems with absorption/diffusion. I'd suggest splayed walls though.

Attachments

• squiksilvery1.GIF
    squiksilvery1.GIF
    4.9 KB · Views: 68
  • squiksilvery2.GIF
    squiksilvery2.GIF
    4.2 KB · Views: 68
cheers guys,

many thanks,

Not much money in it? depends how much is expected from it I suppose.

Theres a local studio near me, its tiny, and sounds terrible - they run a G4 with Logic, 2 firepods and a vintage old desk as preamps, and thats it. They charge £100 per day, and with little advertising they seem to be doing some business... and the records are very poor quality, so there seems to be a market here.

I have all the gear I need, so outlay would be just the build, with no future rent, just utility costs.

I like the angled design, that would be great if you could put a drawing together, thanks

many thanks,

Not much money in it? depends how much is expected from it I suppose.

Theres a local studio near me, its tiny, and sounds terrible - they run a G4 with Logic, 2 firepods and a vintage old desk as preamps, and thats it. They charge £100 per day, and with little advertising they seem to be doing some business... and the records are very poor quality, so there seems to be a market here.

I have all the gear I need, so outlay would be just the build, with no future rent, just utility costs.

I like the angled design, that would be great if you could put a drawing together, thanks
I've got a shit studio like that near me too. :P

Ok I'll get a drawing together. Could you tell me where the main door will be?

You will definitely get business, but i would still suggest branching to other things too. Not too much, like me(i've got too many parts to my business), but maybe even just along with recording and mixing, offer a mastering service.

sorry to ask a question but

whats the reason for the triangle shapes arround the exteria of the room in each of the rooms ?

I guess:

in a square or rectangle, sound waves can bounce back and forth, standing waves can occur, the room will respond particularly to certain frequencies dependant on its length and width. But with irregular angled walls, reflections can dissipate. Like the stealth fighter plane is funny angles to reflect radar differently......

I guess!

I've got a shit studio like that near me too. :P

Ok I'll get a drawing together. Could you tell me where the main door will be?

You will definitely get business, but i would still suggest branching to other things too. Not too much, like me(i've got too many parts to my business), but maybe even just along with recording and mixing, offer a mastering service.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing CD duplication too. I thought I could get a discaounted rate at a local firm if I could send business their way, and take a cut myself. Also outsource album art, as I have graphic designer contacts. Also, a mate is a film producer and has done a couple of music vids, see: www.freshfish.co.uk

Really not interested in band management, mainly because i'd have to pimp out crap bands! and I'd hate doing that!

oh the door in would be approx 4m from the bottom left, on the bottom of your horizontal rectangle - windows can be on the same wall but to the right of that door, and on the right side wall... if that makes sense!

cheers again!

I guess:

in a square or rectangle, sound waves can bounce back and forth, standing waves can occur, the room will respond particularly to certain frequencies dependant on its length and width. But with irregular angled walls, reflections can dissipate. Like the stealth fighter plane is funny angles to reflect radar differently......

I guess!
Excactly right :D

Yeah, I was thinking of doing CD duplication too. I thought I could get a discaounted rate at a local firm if I could send business their way, and take a cut myself. Also outsource album art, as I have graphic designer contacts. Also, a mate is a film producer and has done a couple of music vids, see: www.freshfish.co.uk

Really not interested in band management, mainly because i'd have to pimp out crap bands! and I'd hate doing that!

oh the door in would be approx 4m from the bottom left, on the bottom of your horizontal rectangle - windows can be on the same wall but to the right of that door, and on the right side wall... if that makes sense!

cheers again!
Shit, i didn't expect that door to be there. Doesn't matter.

I wouldn't suggest having windows. It makes isolation more difficult. If you're going to have any windows, have them on the doors between rooms, so you can see each other, and maybe even the doors to the outside for a little natural light, although then thieves can see in...

Anyway, here is my suggestion.

Attachments

• squiksilvery.GIF
    squiksilvery.GIF
    13.4 KB · Views: 54

cheers again!
You don't have to pimp out crap bands. You can choose who you manage. Anyway, I think your idea is quite a good idea. That along with mixing and mastering(especially stuff recorded elsewhere) would be a good business.

I think that's to break up the straight walls.

you need space for trapping. and broadband needs variations. by building rectangular walls, you can easily calculate the expected modes and MSM characteristics, and then build out treatments on angles to break up the space and get that 1-2.5' (0.3m-0.75m) deep traps and slats, diffusors, etc that you might normally penetrate isolation walls with...

also, don't use the same room for mix and mastering. they're two different functions of the process and whatever defects exist in one or the other are masked by using a single room and same equipment...

Last edited:
Back