How the Tables Have Turned, Mr. tapeandtape!

What would you do?

• Sell it to the bastard.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Hold on to the tape, and maybe even sell it to someone else for the same price.

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
The more I read this the more angry I become! :mad:
Al tho I think his claim might be hard to prove, it seems to me that your claim might be just as hard to prove. For instance, If he had a box like the one you sent he could pull the tape off and claim this was the way it arrived. I don't remember if you sent it with insurance or not. Did you? I hope so. :mad::mad::mad::confused::mad::confused::mad:

If it was me, i never would have started a thread on a public forum asking people to vote whether or not i should 'sell it to the bastard'... didn't you think he could come across this thread? When i google 'tapeandtape' first two results are both from this forum. I'm not saying that this situation occurred because he saw this thread and decided to get back at you.... but you did underestimate your enemies.

I would concentrate on dealing with eBay and PayPal rather than a full blown police report. You should get your post office to find a record of the weight of your shipment when you gave it to them.

If it was me, i never would have started a thread on a public forum asking people to vote whether or not i should 'sell it to the bastard'... didn't you think he could come across this thread? When i google 'tapeandtape' first two results are both from this forum. I'm not saying that this situation occurred because he saw this thread and decided to get back at you.... but you did underestimate your enemies.

I would concentrate on dealing with eBay and PayPal rather than a full blown police report. You should get your post office to find a record of the weight of your shipment when you gave it to them.

You're absolutely right, but maybe it's a good thing this forum on him is so public. Maybe it will prevent others from having the same difficulty I've experienced.

I didn't know he was my enemy, or that I had any enemies! I don't know, having an enemy is just so.... Richard Nixon.

By the way, Pay Pal has ruled in favor of his claim, but is requiring him to return the reels in order to get a refund. If I get the tapes back I'd be happy. If I get an empty box, then obviously this isn't over.

-MD

You're absolutely right, but maybe it's a good thing this forum on him is so public. Maybe it will prevent others from having the same difficulty I've experienced.

I didn't know he was my enemy, or that I had any enemies! I don't know, having an enemy is just so.... Richard Nixon.

By the way, Pay Pal has ruled in favor of his claim, but is requiring him to return the reels in order to get a refund. If I get the tapes back I'd be happy. If I get an empty box, then obviously this isn't over.

-MD

Maybe I need to reread back a few posts, but isn't his claim that the box was empty, or just opened? If it was opened and he has the reels what is he complaining about (other then poor packing) (I know you did tape the box properly) But if the reels are missing, how can he return what he doesn't have? (I'm sure he is trying to get a freebie)

I don't really understand what his claim is either. The box was open? There was no tape on the box? He got reels with no tape on them? :confused::confused::confused:

Tapeandtape said the box was empty, that it appeared it had opened (or been opened) during shipment. He claimed that it was stamped by the Postal Service "Received Unsealed." He claimed that he received an unsealed box with no tape inside.

He filed a claim with Pay Pal saying that what he received in the mail was "significantly not as described" by the seller. I told him to make a claim with the Post Office, but as far as I know he never did.

Pay Pal sided with his claim, which is definitely an oversight on their part. The claim was completed in fewer than 48 hours. In general terms, Pay Pal said they will refund him the money, provided he ships the item back. He has to send tracking information to Pay Pal by Mar. 6. This leaves the obvious question:

"What happens if he sends me an empty box?"

Obviously this would not be returning my tape - will I be able to make some sort of counter-claim? Is this some sort of giant loop-hole in the eBay/Pay Pal world? Should we all start claiming that we receive empty packages through eBay and cash in? What the hell is "seller protection?"

I'm prepared for the worst, but I have bigger fish to fry in my life, so I'm already over it.

-MD

Last edited:
Did you send this USPS Media Mail?

The only problem I've had with that is sometimes they do open and see if the contents actually qualify for Media Mail because some people abuse it and ship other things. At any rate there should be a record in the tracking info of an "Exception" if the box was found to be open and empty at some point.

I would complain to eBay/paypal that he could have just as well ripped you off, and he has shown no proof of an empty box stamped by USPS.

In the long term I think it's time we all get together and complain in large number to eBay about tapeandtape. Look over his listings and complain about every technicality. For example he often avoids eBay fees by listing a single item and in the description he says you can buy as many as you need up to what he has on hand. This is a violation of eBay rules and they will pull the listing if you notify them. If enough of us do it maybe he'll be suspended. So far I feel it's only me complaining and that's not so effective if it's just one person.

I've also thought maybe those concerned members among us should write a letter explaining some of the things he's been doing for years now and how he's hurting the analog community.

Any other ideas? At this point I think he needs to be taken down... legally of course. Now in my 20's I would have made the drive and kicked the shit out of him by now. That's not an option though.

Letters to his county state’s attorney, sheriff department, chamber of commerce, ebay and paypal can be effective if in great enough number. Last but not least threaten eBay with legal action because they are profiting from his fraud and doing nothing about it.

Tim

Last edited:
Received unsealed is good. Then you know that the post office would have sealed it.

If you shipped an empty box (or if the box lost its contents) then the box most likely would have been crushed much more than normal.

If the post office inspected it they would have sealed it quite well and stamped the box.

In all cases of post office intervention there would be a strong indication of the validity of your shipment.

Right now it sounds like paypal is on your side.... Do not give up. Keep after paypal letting them know that you are being ripped off and that you have not received your original contents back.

It may be that your efforts will be the nail in his coffin. There are many more complaints to ebay/paypal than we know about. A little wisp of smoke coming out of a house window should be all you need to see to know what it is like inside. And at some point the house will be engulfed.

I like the idea of individuals (without any coordination) bird-dogging his adds and reporting violations. You might look at this a petty or as a service to the unsuspecting tape buying public.

In any case I feel for you. The loss of money (which I hope does not happen) is nothing to the loss of energy and faith in our fellow mankind.

Regards, Ethan
Tapeandtape said the box was empty, that it appeared it had opened (or been opened) during shipment. He claimed that it was stamped by the Postal Service "Received Unsealed." He claimed that he received an unsealed box with no tape inside.

He filed a claim with Pay Pal saying that what he received in the mail was "significantly not as described" by the seller. I told him to make a claim with the Post Office, but as far as I know he never did.

Pay Pal sided with his claim, which is definitely an oversight on their part. The claim was completed in fewer than 48 hours. In general terms, Pay Pal said they will refund him the money, provided he ships the item back. He has to send tracking information to Pay Pal by Mar. 6. This leaves the obvious question:

"What happens if he sends me an empty box?"

Obviously this would not be returning my tape - will I be able to make some sort of counter-claim? Is this some sort of giant loop-hole in the eBay/Pay Pal world? Should we all start claiming that we receive empty packages through eBay and cash in? What the hell is "seller protection?"

I'm prepared for the worst, but I have bigger fish to fry in my life, so I'm already over it.

-MD

And to think I almost bought from this clown a while back. I'm happy Beck and the gang set me back on the right path. Good luck with this nightmare.

Same exact thing happened. I can to the formus "TAPEANDTAPE IS SELLIN TAPE AT A GOOD PRICE!"

The Forums: "Don't buy from tapeandtape you fool!"

We owe these guys here!

Thanks to all my analog brothers (and sisters?)!
-Barrett

I've also thought maybe those concerned members among us should write a letter explaining some of the things he's been doing for years now and how he's hurting the analog community.

Any other ideas? At this point I think he needs to be taken down... legally of course. Now in my 20's I would have made the drive and kicked the shit out of him by now. That's not an option though.

Two things,

I think at the least we should get a Sticky goin on in the analog forums about Mr. Tapeandtape. Maybe this thread, maybe another being more clear on his fraud

Secondly, I'm 19 and fully capable of making the drive out there to push his shit in. (I'll have to bring friends...) If anyone lives between chicago and LA I'll pick you up. :cool:

-Barrett

Two things,

I think at the least we should get a Sticky goin on in the analog forums about Mr. Tapeandtape. Maybe this thread, maybe another being more clear on his fraud

Secondly, I'm 19 and fully capable of making the drive out there to push his shit in. (I'll have to bring friends...) If anyone lives between chicago and LA I'll pick you up. :cool:

-Barrett

Be careful of what you say on the internet.

-MD

Any update on this mess?

Pay Pal ruled against me.

I'm allowed to appeal. I've gotten pretty friendly with the Post Master in my town and I'm going to ask her if she's OK with me providing her number, that way on appeal Pay Pal can contact her and confirm that the package was... packed well.

At the same time I'm going to write Pay Pal a letter of demand to their registered agent in Massachusetts. I'm more upset at Pay Pal for advertising that they have "seller protection." Apparently, according to Pay Pal, buyers can make claims about receiving empty boxes and they'll take their word on blind faith - the first couple of times.

-MD

Back