How the Tables Have Turned, Mr. tapeandtape!

What would you do?

• Sell it to the bastard.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Hold on to the tape, and maybe even sell it to someone else for the same price.

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

themaddog

Rockin' & Rollin'
I've got an auction on eBay right now (not going to plug it with a link, but for those interested it's for a bunch of extra 1/2" tape that I love but no longer need such a large quantity of).

Anyways, tapeandtape made an offer. I have to be honest - I would have probably accepted the offer from anyone else. But, it's tapeandtape... Is he going to store it in his tape van, drive it down to Florida to a Wal-Mart parking lot, leave it there for the summer, bake some in his kitchen, and then sell it on eBay for twice as much?

Knowing what tapeandtape does - what would you do?

I also was selling some tape and received an offer from TT. I declined. 2 reasons. The first is that this is TT and the second is the offer was too low knowing that he wold have doubled it.

--Ethan

Why not sell it when the price is right for you? unless you can make some other ppl on this board happy. Why not post the link? too bad I live too far away to make shipping affordable.

post direct link to your item, so someone here who may be interested could simply buy a reel or two...
give some more time before the offer from t@t expires. If you don't get better offers, then sell it to t@t. No big deal. Life is short :D

btw, you never know who you selling to anyway (well, unless you sell to someone you know...dohhhh :) ), so, you don't really know what your tapes will be used for. A buyer can be the Devil himself :mad: ....so

btw #2: you are selling too cheap ;) I would start with $39.99 each , list them in pairs and make it an auction style (no offers crap) :cool: And I'd provide 1 day return period offer, just for a buyer to be able to get the tape and take a look at them to be sure that it's just as advertised. Also I'd provide couple of photos of the reel and tape , and not just the box. People like to see things, you know :) And NO NO NO FREE shipping BS... there's no such thing as "free continental breakfast".

what ever you do, take it easy... , it's no big deal, or did I say it already?

Attachments

• free continental.jpg
    free continental.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 230
For anyone who is interested, I bought the tape in question from Tape Works Texas starting about 5 years ago for about $21 per reel, 6 reel minimum purchases, plus an additional $25 for the shipping.

The same company is now selling it for $51.35 per reel for 6 reel purchases.

I'll sell it, to anyone interested, for $30 per reel including domestic, media mail shipping until I don't feel like selling it anymore.

-MD

post direct link to your item, so someone here who may be interested could simply buy a reel or two...
give some more time before the offer from t@t expires. If you don't get better offers, then sell it to t@t. No big deal. Life is short :D

btw, you never know who you selling to anyway (well, unless you sell to someone you know...dohhhh :) ), so, you don't really know what your tapes will be used for. A buyer can be the Devil himself :mad: ....so

btw #2: you are selling too cheap ;) I would start with $39.99 each , list them in pairs and make it an auction style (no offers crap) :cool: And I'd provide 1 day return period offer, just for a buyer to be able to get the tape and take a look at them to be sure that it's just as advertised. Also I'd provide couple of photos of the reel and tape , and not just the box. People like to see things, you know :) And NO NO NO FREE shipping BS... there's no such thing as "free continental breakfast".

what ever you do, take it easy... , it's no big deal, or did I say it already?

The direct link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180466662766&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I paid $21 - I just have issues trying to rip off other analog people. I wouldn't have started selling it, but now Texas Tape Works is selling it for a lot more money, and I have more than I need.

-MD

...rip off other analog people...
selling those NOS reels for 40-50 bucks as starting price is about half-price of a new reels. Also today's new reels/tapes are not the same as "those old ones" and some "other analog people" may prefer those old ones (for what ever reason that may be).
Start at "half price" and let those "other analog people" decide what rip off is or isn't for themselves :D
imo, it does not matter for how much you've got those tapes, even if you've got them free off the curb ;)

btw:
AC20EMTSUBStandard Retail Price: $35.00Special USR Price: $29.97 - LINK: http://usrecordingmedia-store.stores.yahoo.net/rm1promenabt.html ...that is THIRTY bucks for a three screw reel with no damn tape on it.... heh heh :D

take it easy :)

Thanks Zee,
I'm only letting a few of them go anyways. Maybe later, if I feel like parting with more, I'll sell them for more.

-MD

I know what that everyone is quivering in anticipation, wondering how I handled tapeandtape's offer.

I decided to forgive his past deception, even of those members of this website, and cut him a break: I knocked a buck off the listed total of 6 reels plus shipping.

For everyone else, my offer still stands for the time being.

-MD

To my surprise, the SOB went for it.

I'll be damned if I'm adding to his positive feedback though.

For the record, apparently he lives on the Sunset Strip in LA. I've always wanted to live in LA since I was maybe 16, and specifically there if I could figure out a way to do it. Maybe that's the key to my dreams, jacking up the prices on tape.

-MD

I read the review posted above. Was your MSR-16 factory cal'd for +3? How hot did you record? Isn't 900 a +9 tape?

I'm intrigued by this.

Last edited:
Personally I would steer clear of tapeandtape. Last time I talked with someone from Tape Works Texas they told me Bill from tapeandtape was buying up their 1-mil SM900, which they called, “A special run of LPR35.” They sold me a reel anyway for $21.00 for me to test because I’d been a customer for so long.

The trouble with Bill is I noticed he was selling the stuff as LPR-35 without mentioning it was really SM900 on 1-mil film. Normally we don’t know much about our buyers on eBay, but when we do IMO we should not help someone that’s done so much damage to the analog world. Bill is like a one-man wrecking crew.

By the way, I think the 1-mil SM900 like you have is good stuff providing a machine can bias up to it and you keep flux levels down to +6 range like SM911. 1-mil tape is simply too thin for +9/+10 formulations. If you push it the print through will be horrendous.

Considering tapeandtape has a reputation for consistently misrepresenting the tape they (he) has, I wouldn’t help him. Well, if he had car trouble on the side of the road, then yes I would help him, ‘cause that’s the way I was raised, but that’s it. ;)

Anyway, I can vouch for the "special run" of SM900 being good stuff if one knows what they have and how to use it, but can't vouch or deal with tapeandtape ever again in any way, buying or selling... no freakin' way! :)

I read the review posted above. Was your MSR-16 factory cal'd for +3? How hot did you record? Isn't 900 a +9 tape?

I'm intrigued by this.

I have never calibrated the machine, so I assume it's still factory set at +3.

SM 900 is +9 tape, but Texas Tape Works estimated this particular tape to be around +7 or +8 - higher output than LP 35, but still not as high output at SM 900.

Technically, the machine was underbiased for the tape, which gave more high-end. My band at the time preferred the sound of this special run LP 35 over a new reel of Quantegy 456. I didn't reveal the price difference or the fact that the LP 35 is a longer reel of tape until afterward.

-MD

Personally I would steer clear of tapeandtape. Last time I talked with someone from Tape Works Texas they told me Bill from tapeandtape was buying up their 1-mil SM900, which they called, “A special run of LPR35.” They sold me a reel anyway for $21.00 for me to test because I’d been a customer for so long.

The trouble with Bill is I noticed he was selling the stuff as LPR-35 without mentioning it was really SM900 on 1-mil film. Normally we don’t know much about our buyers on eBay, but when we do IMO we should not help someone that’s done so much damage to the analog world. Bill is like a one-man wrecking crew.

By the way, I think the 1-mil SM900 like you have is good stuff providing a machine can bias up to it and you keep flux levels down to +6 range like SM911. 1-mil tape is simply too thin for +9/+10 formulations. If you push it the print through will be horrendous.

Considering tapeandtape has a reputation for consistently misrepresenting the tape they (he) has, I wouldn’t help him. Well, if he had car trouble on the side of the road, then yes I would help him, ‘cause that’s the way I was raised, but that’s it. ;)

Anyway, I can vouch for the "special run" of SM900 being good stuff if one knows what they have and how to use it, but can't vouch or deal with tapeandtape ever again in any way, buying or selling... no freakin' way! :)

If he had bought all 6 reels straight out (which I'd have no way of banning him from doing, to my knowledge), he'd have gotten them all for $240. When he made me an offer, I countered with a total cost of $239 - kind of as a "Screw you, but nice try!"

I never expected him to take it.

Now I know.

-MD

I should have listened to you guys!

This is what I get: Mr. tapeandtape claims the box arrived empty.

What an end to a helluva day! Goodnight everyone!
MD

Back