How often do youchange strings?

Atwork

How often do you change strings?

How often do you change strings when recording? I read in a book about a professional bass player who changes strings every three hours when recording as he reckons they're dead after that. I doubt many Homereccers can afford to change strings that often. So what do other people do? Guitar or bass.

Last edited:
On my electric guitars, every two weeks. On bass, about every two months (I only play my basses when recording it so they last long enough for me. GHS Contact Cores, thank you very much). Acoustic guitar, everytime I record it. YMMV.

I prefer to boil bass-strings. I don't like the sound of brand new strings. A set of new boiled strings sounds wonderful.

Guitar-strings I change waaaay to seldom..

I play very heavy strings and have never had one break...

I change them once every year or two, whether they need it or not...

When the guitar won't tune worth a shit, thats usually my cue....
:)

When the rare time arrises that I need to use MY guitars to record, I do change the strings for that....

Bass about every 3 months (only use bass when recording).

Guitar; I have many and change strings when needed (many variables in there; how often I play them/I have different guage strings on them etc)-any sign of fatigue or when they strart to sound dull. When recording I like to have had my strings on for a day or two (I don't like the sound of new strings straight on the guitar).

Oh; I forgot to say; I buy strings in bulk so always have several sets per guitar on hand. It works out cheaper but you tend to change strings more often as they are there.

Don't Try this at Home.....Recording.com

Only once or twice a year, unless I break one on a rare occasion. I don't like new strings on a electric unless Im going to do some DI clean work. I like the sound of pretty wron strings, I need at least 20 hours of wear before I record distorted Rhythm guitars, When I went into big studios I always had extra set of worn strings, I have 6 guitars though, there is a new set on at least one of them.

Peace,
Dennis

Dennis... I prefer more worn strings for distorted sounds too...

In general, I need to work the strings in for a good 5-10 hours before they even start sounding good to me... I really HATE that bright "zingy" sound of fresh strings.

I'll change 'em every 4-5 weeks depending on usage.

Bruce

when they break.. once every week or two or before recording

Ican tell when one is about to break though because it sounds different.

It depends on how much I play....
The flat-top seems to need strings less often than the Alvarez and it is funny because I play the Martin more often....

I have an Epi-12 string as well and I dread changing the strings so, it is usually twice a year.

I agree that it takes a few hours of playing before the strings
"settle" in...........

I guess it also depends on the strings as well.....
Elixer's are supposed to last 3 times as long as normal strings....
Martin Marquis are my usual string of choice though.
Joe

Usually the night before a session for serious stuff. I was using the Martin Marquis. I will never use another acoustic guitar string besides the Elixers. It was phenomenal the amount of improvement in the sustain, and they are holding strong at about 2 months so far. Usually I change strings about every month.

Pete

Change strings a day or two before your session and play for a few hours on them.

Strings strech for a little while in the beginning and one of the most annoying things is to lose what would've been a perfectly good take because your "D" string has suddenly become a "C#" at the 1:28 mark.

If you whale the shit out of your axe, you'll be retuning the entire session if you change strings right before you're about to begin.

IMO go with 2 days before.

Jah. Sometimes I wait too long and think I need a new guitar or a new amp because my current ones sound so bad. Sometimes I actually get a new guitar/amp. Sometimes I change the strings and save myself a bunch-o-cash. :)

You use a pan that holds water, put water in the pan, then you turn up the heat until it boils. Once the water boils you put the strings in. Your done.

Peace,
Dennis

I tried everything under the sun. Additives, oils, silicones, boiling, you name it. Once I figured my time at minimum wage in to the concept of pulling strings and fondling them before they went back on in a pagan ritual, I discovered that it's cheaper and easier to change 'em. Don't like expensive strings? By 'em in bulk for a quarter apiece.

Changing strings before a gig is like throwing up before a trial. Nearly every trial lawyer does it, but once you do step into that courtroom, you are ALIVE...

Back