How much money do you have invested in your studio?

How much have you spent on your studio??

• $0-$500

Votes: 74 6.9%
  • $501-$1000

Votes: 115 10.7%
  • $1001-$3000

Votes: 235 21.8%
  • $3001-$5000

Votes: 176 16.4%
  • $5001-$10,000

Votes: 180 16.7%
  • $10,001-$20,000

Votes: 116 10.8%
  • $20,001-$50,000

Votes: 95 8.8%
  • $50,000-$100,000

Votes: 29 2.7%
  • $100,001+

Votes: 23 2.1%
  • Can't say.... my wife might see this....

Votes: 33 3.1%

• Total voters
wow..the cost differential amongst is is incredible, considering we all strive for and (hopefully) wind up with the same thing; a decent recording!

since ive been at it a while, i am in the upper tier of what we've spent, even with the purging of so much equipment the last few years on ebay and craiglist and such. guitars are like girlfriends, some you keep longer than others, rack gear and pedals come and go, the latest greatest gadgets are bought tried kept or resold, and it goes on and on. so all our lists and totals are probably off a little bit!

cables and all the shit is what really adds to the costs...the big stuff you expect to pay and dont mind actually when youre getting good stuff, its all that stuff you cant see when its ON that kills you! my recording studio (mic locker, large case full of stands, a wall of cables, Ghost mixer, real rack stuff for outboard (pre's comps, FX), a Mackie MDR HD 24 track, CD burner, DAT, and a pile of Strats and Les Pauls (not included in $ total) is stuff thats always in my studio. Street value (what i think i could expect if sold today) is around $65K, but like i said, ive been doing this for a long time.

now if the next thread is "Where is your studio, and what type of alarm is installed?" ill be concerned!!

I haven't kept track of how much I've spent on gear. I suspect I'd be shocked and alarmed if I knew. It's best that I don't. :laughings:

Are we supposed to count guitars and amps, ekits, PA systems, and so forth? I mean, one of my many guitar amps retails new for $7000, and I have soooooooooooooooooo many guitars.

It's kind of weird that I'm willing to spend so much on instruments, and so little on DAW. I guess it's becasue the DAW stuff is purposefully obsoleted, and I can't help myself but fight the power.

Just under 1000 for the recorder, mons, cans, mics, cables, stands, mixer. This is a very sparse setup as far as I could tell, all used or value package combos, no computer stuff. I guess that's my 'studio' unless you include blankets, laundry, and a desk made out of milk crates.

add another 1000 for used guitar, bass, amps, drum set, PA. I can't believe there's actually people in the poll with less spent because my setup is ghetto sparsetastic.

Newbie here,
I haven't even spent money for my home studio yet (only spending $600) and you guys invested in so much... :-0 LMAO

One and a half years ago I got started, just to have a little fun with a new hobby. I recently did an inventory for insurance purposes and replacement cost at the moment is over $13000, not counting the fact that I enrolled in a Music Technology degree course at university. I've completed my first year, of a three year course. I'm having a ball. In the near future, I plan to purchase a Novation SL MkII controller and some better mics. Since I started on this journey, I hardly have any time to play music. Me and a buddy are making an album with no intention to market it, just to see if we can. For me, It's not the destination, only the trip that matters.

c7sus LMAO

Update: I only invested almost $800, but happy with it. I am planning to spend more cash for homemade acoustic panels, stand, (for lyrics on paper) and spider shockmount for mic .

Last edited:
It's kind of weird that I'm willing to spend so much on instruments, and so little on DAW.

It's not that weird. Instruments have intrinsic value. Software and peripherals are disposable crap. You're correctly valuating these things and putting your money into things that will endure rather than those that won't. ;)

As of today, I spent over one thousand, two hundred and some...since joining; I wish that I had the time to hook up the equipment, arrange the acoustic panels, etc. so I can finally start making music (college takes most of my time). :-( Anyway, I bought a couple of books about home studio recording to add in with my readings (until I have the time to put things together).

Since my last post, I've moved my room, changed recording formats, added a bunch of things to the rack, added some mics, bought a couple more guitars, and have topped out at around 65,000. I really cant put much more into this space so the next move will be a facility purpose built. But the records sound better than ever. Nominated for a couple of awards last year etc etc...

Easily $10000. My PC and interface ran me $3000. alone. Before the year is out I'm getting an Axiom 61 Pro (again) $400 an MPC 4000 I'm hoping to get for no more than $1000 and an Allen and Heath ZED r16 for hopefully $1500. So that's almost another $3000. and I've been building this studio for 10 years! Funny how studios are like cars, you can sit back and say what it's worth retail but in reality it's closer to half of that. So I apply that to buying used gear, you drove it off the lot so you need to knock off like 30-40% LOL! and it works!

I've just totted it up and discovered iv spent $1600. I thought it was about 800 until i actually thought about it. I was hoping to stop and hide my wallet after buying my new monitors yesterday , but discovered i need a new audio card/interface to stop the KRKs humming to themselves :(

more than I would like to share lol. my biggest problem is that I always bought cheap stuff until recently. Now I am buying the right stuff.

Start adding stuff that most people ignore and you will guickly end up with more money that you thought at first. Consider cables, mic stands, guitar stands, effects, etc. If you're like me you have guitar cabs, bass cabs, heads, amps, mics, pop filters, gobos, and who knows what else that can be considered an accessory. Then look at DAWs, multitrack units, computers, control boards / mixers, monitors, room treatment, etc. The money most of us have spent could easily purchase a decent car.

Back