How much money do you have invested in your studio?

How much have you spent on your studio??

• $0-$500

Votes: 74 6.9%
  • $501-$1000

Votes: 115 10.7%
  • $1001-$3000

Votes: 235 21.8%
  • $3001-$5000

Votes: 176 16.4%
  • $5001-$10,000

Votes: 180 16.7%
  • $10,001-$20,000

Votes: 116 10.8%
  • $20,001-$50,000

Votes: 95 8.8%
  • $50,000-$100,000

Votes: 29 2.7%
  • $100,001+

Votes: 23 2.1%
  • Can't say.... my wife might see this....

Votes: 33 3.1%

• Total voters

turnitdown

$10 PayPal=Your Ad Here!!
I'm curious to see how much the "average" HR'er has invested in their studio.
I guess we'll use "Price Paid" for the poll, but feel free to go into more detail in your post....

Shit... and I tried so hard to avoid that!!!!! (Damn Tequila...) :D
FYI.... I don't think you can edit polls either... at least I didn't see how....

gear list at $5k ish...

this isn't retail, just a mix of what i paid.
ex: the Control 5's retail at $500, paid 125-150 or some sht.
Including instruments too.

ok, $5100ish. retail whooa... i saved so much, i can afford some Dyn15's!!

its a great setup for songwriting, which is my bags end.

I've put a good $4500 into my studio. In a couple of weeks it will probably be boosted up to about $5200 though. :D

hehe.. i'm sitting right at 1k now (thanks to my wharfedales and delta 1010).. soon it'll be $30k when my non-at-home studio gets built :mad:

but i didn't count my keyboard/electric guitars/acoustic guitars/mandolin/violin/bass/PA system/Live mixing board/SM58s/computer/cables & connectors/beer

as dirt poor as i am how did i ever get roped into this business :confused:
i hope i'm not the only person that lives in a shack, drives an 80s automobile, and has thousands of dollars of crap i don't need but can't live without.

I'm around 3000$ on home studio equipment, mic's, software etc..

If I bring in all of my guitars, bass, amps, effect pedals/racks it's probably around 7000$..

And i'm currently a student, when I finish my education a couple months from now, I hope I can get a job, THEN I'm gonna buy in some equipment..

Honestly, I've not totalled it up,...

but if I were to guess, I'd say about $20k. Probably more if you consider my music and gear rooms are two rooms I added onto the house. Then, it might be approximated at $40k or above. :eek:

In gear alone, I might be looking at $10k-$20k, but that's an off the cuff estimate, only. E'thing I have is of reasonable cost, but it adds up fast: piano, drums, 20 guitars, many reel decks, mixers and Portastudios. I collect gear as well as the strategic gear purchased out of basic need, and I have way more gear than would be needed for an actual single or dual basic functional setup. :eek: I'm not the average case.

I have e'thing from the Tascam MSR-24/M-520 to the MF-P01. If I really like a piece of gear, I usually buy two or more. I have half a dozen 244's, 3- 246's, half a dozen MX-80 mic pre's and PE-40 parametric EQ's. I have about 5- 234's. I have 2- 38's & 4- M30 mixers, as well as an M-312 & M-35. That's only scratching the surface, but I don't have time for a full gear list.

Okay, I'll admit I'm a total gearslut. :eek:

If you include all the equipment I went through while I was learning to do what I do, (not to mention the PC and the laptop that I use for the studio) you could easily say I went over $5000, throughout the years. Not to mention the software and the future add-ons to my setup. The triton and fantom xr racks are gonna set me back probably $2500 - $3k easily, and the MPC will set me back another grand. Thank god I don't plan to buy it all at once though.

Don't you guys keep an inventory?

I built a spreadsheet that has the name of the gear, the date purchased, purchase price, and serial number. It also totals the purchase price so I keep a running tab on how much I've got in my current setup. Whenever I buy or sell gear I update the spreadsheet. Very handy thing to have.

I keep an inventory in Excel for insurance and personal curiousity!!
I track "Retail" and "Price Paid" (w/ subtotals).... that makes me feel better about how much I spend... (Special thanks to eBay!!! :D )

Let's see..monitors £500, mics £700, guitars £2,000, pre amps £500, DI and modelling boxes £700, software £800, other shit say £500, so about £5.5k or US$10k. Another £1k on the live setup.

That's less than I used to spend on flying in a single year (although I earned some of that back from shows, which is unlikely to happen with music!)

I'd have to say over $50,000 - but that includes the building of rooms, not just gear. I guess (like others here) I've gone beyond "home recording", but then again, I have space in an old factory, so it's a commercial studio now. It WAS a home studio when I started though. Does that count? :rolleyes:

Back