How many of you use pitch correction for your own vocals?

Do you use pitch correction on your own vocals?

• I wouldn't touch that shit with a 10-foot pole.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I only use it when absolutely necessary (time constraints, etc.).

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I use it when needed. It's just a tool like EQ, compression, etc.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Yes Please! I'll take all I can!

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
I think these responses show it depends on the goal. If your a songwriter intent on showcasing the "song" then I can see using it. If you fancy yourself more on the performer side then it's cheating.

I think these responses show it depends on the goal. If your a songwriter intent on showcasing the "song" then I can see using it. If you fancy yourself more on the performer side then it's cheating.

I think that's a good way of putting it.

Yeah, I agree with that.
I use pitch correctly sparingly when I do main vocal and quite liberally when I layer harmonies, depending on the musical genre.
The comments about cheating and not learning anything don't really apply because I know I can hear when I'm wrong just as well as any plugin can,
and I'm not a regular singer. I don't perform live and I don't record vocals regularly, so it's never a instrument that I aim to take care of and religiously practice.

I have a singer who comes in sometimes and he takes a lot of pride in his instrument and performances.
Generally he'll sing the song three times then turn and say "second one...." and that's that. Fair play to him.

I suppose, for me, it's no different to copying/pasting the odd flubb on a bass part. I'm not a bassist and have no desire to be very good, so if I make a small mistake it just seems sensible and time saving to edit a fix.
Some well rehearsed essential member of a band may feel like that breaks his groove or whatever. That's cool. Makes perfect sense to me.

Now, don't get me wrong. The ratio of time spent is still heavily in favour of recording. I wouldn't bother tweaking something to death.

It's never really mentioned but I think editing speed and proficiency comes into it too. I've heard people slamming it talking about spending hours tweaking this that and the other and losing touch with reality.
Pretty much any edit I do is because it's going to take me seconds, the alternative would take me minutes, and the outcome, for all intents, is going to be the same.

The subject matter dictates it for me too. There are some recordings where I'd really want to aim to be flawless and give the best, most natural performances.
There are others where I want to get the job done and get paid.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with that.
I use pitch correctly sparingly when I do main vocal and quite liberally when I layer harmonies, depending on the musical genre.
The comments about cheating and not learning anything don't really apply because I know I can hear when I'm wrong just as well as any plugin can,
and I'm not a regular singer. I don't perform live and I don't record vocals regularly, so it's never a instrument that I aim to take care of and religiously practice.

I have a singer who comes in sometimes and he takes a lot of pride in his instrument and performances.
Generally he'll sing the song three times then turn and say "second one...." and that's that. Fair play to him.

I suppose, for me, it's no different to copying/pasting the odd flubb on a bass part. I'm not a bassist and have no desire to be very good, so if I make a small mistake it just seems sensible and time saving to edit a fix.
Some well rehearsed essential member of a band may feel like that breaks his groove or whatever. That's cool. Makes perfect sense to me.

Now, don't get me wrong. The ratio of time spent is still heavily in favour of recording. I wouldn't bother tweaking something to death.

It's never really mentioned but I think editing speed and proficiency comes into it too. I've heard people slamming it talking about spending hours tweaking this that and the other and losing touch with reality.
Pretty much any edit I do is because it's going to take me seconds, the alternative would take me minutes, and the outcome, for all intents, is going to be the same.

The subject matter dictates it for me too. There are some recordings where I'd really want to aim to be flawless and give the best, most natural performances.
There are others where I want to get the job done and get paid.

All this is very well put. Thanks for the eloquence. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I mean....I get your argument but I only really type when I need to and it's not a skill set I'm aiming to improve or keep on top of.

Don't get me wrong, though, If I'm writing a job application or something, I'll do a few takes to get it right. ;)

In fact, most people will just read it on their ipad or kindle. It's not like they reading a real book with high fidelity print.
:laughings:

Computers, dictation, white-out......I don't see the point.

If you're going to type, type. Get a typewriter, learn your craft, and stop leaning on crutches!
And none of this electrically assisted shit.....Mechanical or nothing!

Computers, dictation, white-out......I don't see the point.

If you're going to type, type. Get a typewriter, learn your craft, and stop leaning on crutches!
And none of this electrically assisted shit.....Mechanical or nothing!

That's right!! Real writers writing with real pens on real paper.
:D

Oh, we could keep going. :laughings:

I do believe I've derailed another thread...:spank:

Yes, well...pitch correction. That means italic vs regular? Yes?

Back