How many of you use pitch correction for your own vocals?

Do you use pitch correction on your own vocals?

• I wouldn't touch that shit with a 10-foot pole.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I only use it when absolutely necessary (time constraints, etc.).

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I use it when needed. It's just a tool like EQ, compression, etc.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Yes Please! I'll take all I can!

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
I use it happily, I'm often surprised by how much more pleasant things sound with just 10-20 cents correction. It's subtle enough to not be noticeable in a bad way. I could do (dozens?) more takes to get it right naturally but I'm not in this to be Freddie Mercury.

I use it on almost every track I sing. In Cubase for lead vocals, sometimes I use the vari-audio and adjust each segment so it's in tune on average. Sometimes, I just use the pitch shift to do the same thing. Rarely I might use the pitch correct, then I'll set it at 50 50 or less. On bg's I often use pitch correct and sometimes clamp down pretty heavy.

One trick I like to use is when I have a track that's pretty good to begin with, I'll make a copy track and tweak it with vari-audio so the segments are averaged in tune, then I'll mix it with the un-corrected track to get a sound like I sang a mult that was almost dead on. On my webpage there's a song called "Juliet" where that was done.

yea, no one wants to see or hear fake things. That is why Playboy went out of business. To much airbrush and fake boobs. Fake just doesn't sell.

Wait ... this thread is about pitch correction; no one said anything about fake boobs. We're keeping the fake boobs, right?

Wait ... this thread is about pitch correction; no one said anything about fake boobs. We're keeping the fake boobs, right?

I would have to say, fake or not, most people like fake boobs. Pretty sure they are not going anywhere anytime soon. I don't think Autotune is either.

I would have to say, fake or not, most people like fake boobs. Pretty sure they are not going anywhere anytime soon. I don't think Autotune is either.

While the first part of that makes me happy, the second part makes me very sad. :(

yea, looking at fake titties is still pretty fun.....
grabbing, even better...

but listening to someone caterwaul that can't really sing,
ugh
that's the worse

by all means, carry on with the fake singing

Pitch correction is like frets for the voice. I don't really have a point. But maybe there will come a time when it's not even weird anymore.

Pitch correction is like frets for the voice. I don't really have a point. But maybe there will come a time when it's not even weird anymore.

Oh I think that time is already here for the younger generation. I have a shitload of nieces (only two nephews); most of them are in high school now. And they've grown up on auto-tuned pop. To them, that's the normal way a voice sounds. It's really disheartening. But, what can you do? I don't use it, I always advise against it if someone asks my opinion. But people are going to do what they're going to do. It's just one of those lines in the sand that's been crossed, kind of like the whole mp3 phenomenon. All we (or at least people like me) can do is hope that the pendulum swings back the other way during our lifetime and it suddenly becomes unfashionable to use autotune --- kind of like the way the chorus effect became unfashionable after the 80s.

Now here's something odd and....a girl who sings naturally, but as though her voice is being auto-tuned. :wtf:

Makes you wonder if it's the direct result of listening to too many auto-tuned vocals, and simply learning to imitate them until it became a natural way of singing...?
It's somewhat interesting...but I couldn't listen to her sing every song like that. :facepalm:

You know...I bet if you applied auto-tune to her voice, reversed the polarity...it might come out sounding normal. :p

I wonder if she is even able to sing normally any more...?

Now here's something odd and....a girl who sings naturally, but as though her voice is being auto-tuned. :wtf:

Makes you wonder if it's the direct result of listening to too many auto-tuned vocals, and simply learning to imitate them until it became a natural way of singing...?
It's somewhat interesting...but I couldn't listen to her sing every song like that. :facepalm:

You know...I bet if you applied auto-tune to her voice, reversed the polarity...it might come out sounding normal. :p

I wonder if she is even able to sing normally any more...?

No way .... that's got to be auto-tuned! You think that's unaffected? No way!

Edit: Well, I read up a bit more and I see that you're right. That's crazy. It's hard to see why someone would want to do that, but ... <sigh> ... there it is.

She even pronounced all the words stupid as well.
She's going to be a star...or a staoire or whatever the kids are saying these days.

As a fan of classic rock (60s-70s), surely I never use pitch-correction on anything. Usually even hearing of someone using it makes me a bit angry, I have to admit.

Last edited:
I use melodyne on the projects I am mixing, and the question I have is WHY NOT?? My goal and my job is to make a mix sound as good and professional as possible. If the artist has some deficiencies that can be easily corrected, I will do it, and it sounds dang good actually (melodyne is impressive!).

I used to use V-Vocal, and it actually would have a real impact on the tone of the vocal, even for minor corrections, but I am able to get Melodyne to sound excellent when I have a good singer. I use it to fix pitch, vibrato, and amplitude. I even use it to do some subtle doubling in key parts.

Now my singers are good, so these are minor corrections, but it takes a "good" vocal, and makes it great.

so why not?

Melodyne is best for this, but I use Izotope Nectar for quick edits. There are many degrees of correction that can be applied and manual editing can fine tune a performance. It's a tool like any other tool. Those purists who say they never use it or that they can always hear it are limiting their toolbox.
For those of you who consider pitch correction cheating instead of just another tool for enhancement. ..... quit cheating with EQ, Compression, Reverb & Delay.

Back