Votes: 707 40.2%
  • 5-8 Variety is the spice of life.

Votes: 628 35.7%
  • 9-12 I'm a serious collector.

Votes: 160 9.1%
  • Over 13 Maybe I should open a store.

Votes: 180 10.2%

• Total voters
At the moment I don't have enough so if you'd like to make donations i'd be happy to pay the s/h. My favorite that I have now is a squire thin line telecaster with duncan pickups and a semi hollow body. It has a great sound for being a squire.

ok, so I was surprised to find that I own 8 right now, if you include basses. I'm not including my non-guitar/bass instruments or it would be well into the 9-12 or higher category.

electric guitars:

Northern Les Paul (vintage, mid 70s, made in japan, history tells me it was made by same folks making many of the Agile japanese guitars of the day.... INCREDIBLE guitar, easily the best LP I've ever played, and it's beautiful too)

Line 6 variax 300 with sperzel locking tuners, graphite nut. cool, fun, dozens of very believable guitars in one, and a nice feeling guitar to boot with great natural tone of it's own... modded with a custom made single coil pickup in the middle position as well for that LP junior sort of thing. edit: I should add that what I mean is I added a switch and a pickup, these have none stock, I wanted to use it as a regular guitar also though so did this mod for reliability among other things.

Ibanez RG-370dx with the wacky multicolored finish - completely trashed when it fell off the back of a moving truck at high speed and it's hardshell case blew up leaving the guitar sliding down the highway FACE DOWN... hence I bought it from the previous owner for a few bucks in functional but very damaged condition. I'm still working on the cosmetics of this thing cuz it's just nasty looking, but it plays amazingly and I've done the following to it: Evo I in bridge, fernandes sustainor in neck, ibanez in middle (quite a decent pickup actually), modded tone control and capacitor switcher for two different resonance points (only affects the bridge and middle pups, the neck is a buffered pup). really incredible guitar - my low budget DIY flo :-)

I'm certain I have another electric but can't think of it now, maybe I don't? hmmmm

EDIT: just remembered, so it's actually 9:
my lap steel electric. dumb me, forgot I have it at all. forget the brand, chinese, but fantastic sounding single coil 6 string lap. like it better than a vintage fender I played recently that lacked any life to it's tone.

acoustic guitars:

applause ovation shallow body - damn if I don't just love this guitar to bits. sounds/plays like a much more expensive shallow body american ovation I played, just incredible, and easy to play for me since I can't handle high action thick strings on acoustic

cheapo nylon string acoustic I picked up used as trade for a $30 dano distortion pedal. guitar's nicer than the pedal LoL... I wanted nylon for the occasional recording session and it sounds just fine, plays alright too actually for such a cheapo guitar.

BASSES:

Sunny 8 string (non-octave) fretted with custom made single coil pickups with wood covers, custom active electronics. nice bass - like galviston (which are cheap 8 strings) but with the custom pups and electronics sounds absolutely amazing. got it for $200 cuz it had literally useless pups and was unplayable (several notes actually misfretted to the wrong notes and buzzing and high action all at once LoL). with extensive setup and fretwork and DIY new pups an electronics it's become a semi-pro level instrument, and it's as pretty to look at as to play and listen to.

Cort 4 string fretted - gb-54 - a really nice bass with zero resale value cuz it's made in indonesia, great built in preamp, great pups that just needed a subtle change in resonant frequency (lowered a bit) to give it more bite and presence, all done with $3 of parts and some know how. my main recording bass now. incredible low action, really a player's bass. got it for $100. yea, you get the idea, I'm cheap, especially for a pro.

chinese bass, rebranded as MRW, that I defretted myself - got it used for $60 with an amp LoL, in mint condition, needed huge setup work before fretless conversion so imagine how much work it needed after LoL. needed a shim in neck after. but wow, great sounding fretless, nice dual humbuckers with all passive electronics, also did some resonance frequency tweaking in electronics (I don't know why this isn't done more often... it's the easiest way to alter the tone of your pickups).

So that's 8. yea, not all collector's items (only one is actually and even then not an "obvious" one), but all are great player's instruments and I use them for paid session gigs all the time.

other instruments are:

5 string banjo of decent prosumer quality (kind of old too)

small vintage german mandolin

acoustic violin (which is a priceless Amati from more than 300 years ago)

acoustic viola (belongs to my buddy but have had it for 15 years now)

electric violin (chinese, sexy looking, tweaked like crazy, modded electronics and setup, autographed by my favorite current musician Devin Townsend)

roland drum kit (I don't actually own an acoustic kit right now but use an amazing milestone kit for tracking at my regular studio - roland is basically triggers that I swap for better samples at mix time, great for producing my own drum parts, nothing like really playing for inspiration and feel....)

yamaha sy-22 synth

korg digital piano (weighted, 88 key, used as midi controller mostly and for rehearsing with stock sounds)

roland mc-505 groovebox/synth/drum machine/sequencer

then it's the estoeric and world stuff.... pan pipes, chinese uhrtu (sorry dunno how to spell these things), lap kalimba from africa, some hand drums and percussion instruments (I have been a percussionist and drummer on albums even though I try to focus on other instruments), and then it just gets into the weird stuff that I won't bother mentioning.

so... guitars (including basses)? 9
if you include banjos and mandolins, 11.

if you included other string instruments (violins/violas, uhrhu), 14.

12. If I get more than that I tend to sell one.

When you start adding up all the possible options it's not many though. Basses, 12 strings, classical, nylon and steel strings, acoustics and acoustic/electrics, hollow, semi-hollow, solid, etc. Then you have various body styles and weights such as SG, Les Paul, Strat, etc and the pickups, which alone have a huge range of possibilities.... and I haven't even got a resonator yet.... Twelve seems like just a start when you look at it that way..

Two:

Harley Benton HBD120BK
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Not exactly the greatest selection, but guitar is just a second instrument for me. The acoustic isn't all that bad, plenty of guitarists have had a go on it and said it's fine.

currently 15 counting my bass but the true answer is:

Not enough!

Exactly. :) It has been proved scientifically by one of the best in the business too.

Perhaps he ran a guitar shop on the side?...

einstein-1.jpg

I've got 6, but only three get playing time.

Taylor 110e- My go to acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1- Main electric
1960's Japanese Mustang copy- Its sounds and plays sweet! I picked it up for $100. I use it when I want a little different sound.

SG les Paul custom '74
Strat hardtail MIA 2003
PRS CE22 2004
Ibanez RG3EX1 2006

P-bass MIA (hot rod) 2003

Yamaha FG340 1980
Taylor 410CE 2006
Taylor 422 1995

Gibson GA5
Mesa Boogie DC3
GK Backline 110

Beaters: first Act; Rogue; Crate; Pignose

/mcmd

Updated list:

Gibson Les Paul Std Custom Historic G0/R0 '08
Epi Elite Les Paul '02?
Epi Les paul '00? with burstbuckers...nice!
Fender Tele MIA '08
G&L Asat classic MIA '11
Gibson SG les Paul custom '74
Fender Strat hardtail MIA 2003

Fender P-bass MIA (hot rod) 2003

Yamaha FG340 1980
Taylor 410CE 2006
Taylor 422 1995

....some others have come and gone...fender, PRS, washburn...

/mcmd

Always wished I'd bought a Strat way back 'when'. In the 70s, my money went towards college, girls, alcohol and drugs (not necessarily in that order). In the 80s, it was food, a roof over my head, girls, alcohol and drugs.
Now, my wife keeps saying 'no more guitars!' Specially if they cost more than our monthly mortgage payment.

So I couldn't resist Strat clone when I saw it so cheap.
Check out this video and guess the make and cost.

Always wished I'd bought a Strat way back 'when'. In the 70s, my money went towards college, girls, alcohol and drugs (not necessarily in that order). In the 80s, it was food, a roof over my head, girls, alcohol and drugs.
Now, my wife keeps saying 'no more guitars!' Specially if they cost more than our monthly mortgage payment.

So I couldn't resist Strat clone when I saw it so cheap.
Check out this video and guess the make and cost.

C'mon, no guesses? I won't be insulted!

OK, the answer is 'Gitano' (I know, you never heard of it .... Evidently some importers buy hundreds of guitars from various Chinese factories and slap names on them. I threw a low bid onto this one on Ebay before bed time as the auction was ending in the middle of the night. Won it for $24.50! New and actually set up well, although the strings are cheap ones!)

Last edited:
Parker P-44
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican version - midnight wine)
Ibanez SA120
Ovation Applause
Squier Stratocaster (my first electric, from a starter kit)
A $30 acoustic from an Argos catalogue I got when I was 14...I don't even know the make!

Also:
Ibanez SR500 Bass

Just doing my inventory before the move, and here they are:
Qty: 6
'71 Martin D35
'97 Godin LGX-SA
'65 Framus Student Guitar w/ pickup
'95 Martin Backpacker
'76 Fender Telecaster
'70's Hagstrom H-33 12 String

(They go in this order left to right in the attached pic - Amps are '71 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb, Fender Sidekick Reverb 35, and the ubiquitous Pignose)

mike

Update - gone from 6 to 12 in almost 10 years and 3 countries since the last count. Starting to do inventory again before the move this summer (and was adding water to my humidifiers ...).
Additions:
Ibanex EDA-900 bass
Hand built flamenco - Salvador Castillo
Ovation Celebrity shallow bowl - CS257
Hondo Lazer
German built classical - Carl Hellweg CS38
Savannah Resonator
(oh, and there's a Mexican Trichordia in the pic too)
Also bought lots of new gear since 2002, VG-88, VGA-7 amp, RC-50 looper, Novation Xio Synth 25, a full PA, Yamaha DTXpress drum kit, and a whack of mics and other fun stuff.
IMG_6413 (Large).jpg

Main GTR Epi Les Paul Custom, Tone Pro Bridge, Dirty Finger PUPS.
Breed Love 6 string acoustic C25/CHR
Seagull 12 String
Electra MPC Explorer
Electra MPC Les Paul
Washburn Travel Guitar
BC Ritch Kerry King Warlock
a Shark Guitar I got out of a JC Penny Catalog for 150.00
a Maher Flying V my son gave me for Christmas a couple years ago.
Epi Thunder Bird Bass
an old mandolin with no name, hand made.
a mountain dulcimer.

Next GTR I want, hollow bodied electric, maybe an Epi Sheriton 2.

My wife has two closets of clothes, 35 pairs of shoes and 7 purses. I have 2 electrics, a 12 string acoustic and a 50$ bass. What's up with that?

Reactions: JCH
Back