how do you write a bridge? Song structure in general?

What don't you know

If I'm talking about the same thing you were then i totally disagree. I love unresolved tension, a song I would throw onto that pile would be "air on a g string" by bach. It's unresolved tension energises me & fills me full of unresolved feelings - so much so I feel like I'm going to burst with happyness, sadness everything all at the same time.

Theorists limit theirselves by what they don't know, natural writers are only limited by their own imagination and ability to produce that in what ever form they want to use to communicate their ideas. IMHO ;)

Natural writers are limited by their lack of study and rely on cliches that are easily within their grasp. Artists are looking to the limits of their physical ability and mental comprehension to find original ideas.

Artists are looking to the limits of their physical ability and mental comprehension to find original ideas.

Talented artists who compose songs at the limits of their own ability and comprehension are able to write songs that greatly impress other artists, but not necessarily listening public.

This is actually only true if you're replacing the root of a dominant 7 chord with the b9 --- not adding to it.

thnx for the editing beagle..... i shoulda previewed it... i didn't specify at that point that i was talking about just the dim portion of that b9... was suggesting he play with the b9 chord and then explore the upper four tone as themselves...

also i said that there were four of the diminished... brain fart... there are only three...

I know nothing of musical theory - well not now, what I hear in my head I try and play. It's simple & I think it's the only true way of writing music. The stuff I write is me. Theory is like a middle man, it can (if in the wrong hands) destroy the most innovitive work. Go straight from your head to your instruments, not from your head to your theory to your instruments or straight from theory to your instruments. And certainly dont go from other people's heads to theory to your instrument - that's just nuts :D

might as well say i love being ignorant... i'm afraid you miss the whole point of theory... theory does Not tell you what to play next usurping your decision from you... it is the vocabulary of music... nothing more... so knowing theory is the difference between say speaking french or merely sounding french... in the end result all it really does is gives us a basis for communication... dave brubeck once said that "style is determined by what you cant play... not what you can..." in other words you limit yourself by what you dont know... so either study some theory or consign yourself to your ignorance...:cool:

might as well say i love being ignorant... i'm afraid you miss the whole point of theory... theory does Not tell you what to play next usurping your decision from you... it is the vocabulary of music... nothing more... so knowing theory is the difference between say speaking french or merely sounding french... in the end result all it really does is gives us a basis for communication... dave brubeck once said that "style is determined by what you cant play... not what you can..." in other words you limit yourself by what you dont know... so either study some theory or consign yourself to your ignorance...:cool:

I find it unerving that you'd call me ignorant when you do not know my musical background or anything about me. I studied music long ago, I forget most of it now because I do not seem to have retension for what I don't use. I don't use theory to write any longer, I feel (and I'm going to have to write <IMHO> as you seem to have missed that part in my previous posts) that theory seemed to overcomplicate a process that should in essance be a very simple conversion [brain to instrument]. And to go by your logic due to cross association if you use a vocabulary, that very process will in fact point you toward the notes you play, be it indirectly. You would have to practice and listen to every scale or mode or whatever that exists to the exact same level for this involantary note association to be broken, I doubt you can do that. For example if you have to stick to the scales you know or the vocabulary you know that means you are limiting yourself, it's difficult to explain and I'm on mobile internet, i'll try and word things a little better later.

Natural writers are limited by their lack of study and rely on cliches that are easily within their grasp. Artists are looking to the limits of their physical ability and mental comprehension to find original ideas.

You obviousley are way off here, my study is of listening to other peoples music and the sounds that go on round about me in everyday life. That's my study. You can study the theory all you want I'll study sound it's self. My brain warps all of those sounds out of proportion and creates an original composition. My music is far from cliché. :D

Don't be so bad mannered "what don't you know" it's my opinion - it's not the same as yours - deal with it, a good discussion is turning personal yet again.:rolleyes:

I find it unerving that you'd call me ignorant when you do not know my musical background or anything about me.

I don't use theory to write any longer, I feel that theory seemed to overcomplicate a process that should in essance be a very simple conversion [brain to instrument].

And to go by your logic due to cross association if you use a vocabulary, that very process will in fact point you toward the notes you play, be it indirectly.

For example if you have to stick to the scales you know or the vocabulary you know that means you are limiting yourself,

QUOTE]

i dont need to know your background for this... the comments alone suffice...

apples and oranges... knowing theory does not preclude you from playing from an instictuall perspective... if these aren't two different issues for you then IMO (humble or otherwise) then you have issues with your instrument as well...

you again missed my point... ask yourself... would haveing access to half of your current vocab impede you more than knowing none??? consider that quote from brubeck... in essence it tell us that what we can say is limited not by what you know... but what you dont know.... in other words you'ld play differently knowing more and what you're capable of would be expanded...

simply ask yourself do i want to speak french or merely sound french.... to those who understand it less than you... you'ld be fine... to those that are french??? a pathetic bastard... it's your choice...

Actually I think you've just stated the main reason why there is so much crap music about. Musical cliches exist due to the fact of a methodology being in place, things become contrived, the problem i see is that theorist end up relying too much on theory eg "how do I write a bridge" surely musical theory is there to develop an idea that already exists in the head? If not then we'd be as well just telling artists to piss off and allow computers to write all our music? Sure as hell be cheaper and they'd be able to surpass the physical and mental reaches of human beings no problem.

Artists are looking to the limits of their physical ability and mental comprehension to find original ideas.

This sounds like a musical version of sticking a peice of bluetac to a wall and calling it art. My stuff might be a little mad, but at least as far as i see it's original and more importantly musical.

In fact i think it's sour grapes <- that is a cliche, :p, I think *some* musical theorists have a complete lack of musical imagination and have to use lego to create music, that's what annoys them. They don't like to think that someone can come up with something good without having to put all of that theoretical work in. Again I said some;)

I think musical theory has a definate part in musical writing, i just don't use it atall because i wouldn't enjoy writing with it, although am poking a little fun, i do respect people that have a great technical understanding but certainly don't think writing should start from there. I just don't like to think the human element may be lost.

simply ask yourself do i want to speak french or merely sound french.... to those who understand it less than you... you'ld be fine... to those that are french??? a pathetic bastard... it's your choice...

so i guess you are calling me a pathetic bastard?

I think i don't have to listen to the opinion of someone like you anymore.

fact is i don't use theory, i see music as texture and colour, i try and copy that onto my instrument, i used to never be able to get things down as i wanted them, years of practice has proved of great worth.

music is not french :D:D:D

music is a language with it's own vocabulary, what you're doing is converting music into another language. the note of c is only called c because we've given it that name. Just because you cannot understand music in it's natural form and have to bastardize it into something you do understand doesn't mean that that is the only method that works well.

You're not listening to me, i hear a note in my head - i play it, only someone with no imagination - or a pathetic imagination could not understand that, that is my musical language.

the problem i see is that theorist end up relying too much on theory

Well, yes. There is that. Some theorists do depend too much on theory.

But not all.

The big knot in this debate is that there seems to be an assumption that music theory and creativity are mutually exclusive and that both are necessarily limiting.

I don't believe either assumption. I think there are as many great writers emerging from music theory circles as there are who compose intuitively and untutored. I also think there are many writers who are limited by their theory, and end up recreating formulas, just as I think there are many intuitive composers who do the same, where their limitation springs from an insufficient grasp of the 'language' of their trade.

Consider lyric writing for a minute. If I have a large vocabulary, I have a greater range of rhyming words to call upon. But a large vocabulary is no guarantee of lyric eloquence; I still need that creative spark to know how to use it innovatively. On the other hand, if I don't have that large vocabulary, listening to others won't necessarily help me: I may not find the words I want from them, and I may end up using the same old stuff they have been using. However, if I have that creative spark, I can turn it to advantage by deriving something different from what would otherwise be unoriginal and pedestrian.

The big knot in this debate is that there seems to be an assumption that music theory and creativity are mutually exclusive and that both are necessarily limiting.

I said plenty times that they are not exculsive. And totally agree as that is what i've been trying to say (but you've summed up things a lot better :D). I I'm replying to the thread starter though, he's asking how to write a bridge. Surely if he wasn't relying on a formula he'd have asked how to better translate his ideas, but as far as i see - no usable information was given at the start of this debate to see things from anything other than an exclusively theory based perspective. That's why I'm showing my side of things which is pretty much exclusively naturalistic, i would love to be able to open a thread on a new composition and explain it theoretically and debate with people if I had taken the correct path and how i could make things better. I have a way of doing things that works really well though. That's all I'm trying to say, people took things a little too much to heart though, which would point to them having another agenda other than the continuation of a very interesting debate.

I'd point out again that music already is a language, we translate that language into letters and derive theory from that. So theory is derived from a translation of a language. I can understand what you're saying about some intuative writers not having a grasp of the translation and that perhaps stunts their abilities. But I disagree that natural writers may have a limited vocabulary as that naturalistic vocabulary reaches beyond the steps that we create. So, I'd say that natural writers actually have infinite vocabulary. I would say that natural writers may have a limited understanding of that vocabulary and that may impact on their writing. But it's dead simple the way I write, I write it in my head - I play it. Perhaps if I had a better understaning of theory it would take less time for me to get things down on a instrument, but I'm fast enough for what I need.

Last edited:
I said plenty times that they are not exculsive. And totally agree as that is what i've been trying to say (but you've summed up things a lot better :D). I I'm replying to the thread starter though, he's asking how to write a bridge. Surely if he wasn't relying on a formula he'd have asked how to better translate his ideas, but as far as i see - no usable information was given at the start of this debate to see things from anything other than an exclusively theory based perspective. That's why I'm showing my side of things which is pretty much exclusively naturalistic, i would love to be able to open a thread on a new composition and explain it theoretically and debate with people if I had taken the correct path and how i could make things better. I have a way of doing things that works really well though. That's all I'm trying to say, people took things a little too much to heart though, which would point to them having another agenda other than the continuation of a very interesting debate.

I'd point out again that music already is a language, we translate that language into letters and derive theory from that. So theory is derived from a translation of a language. I can understand what you're saying about some intuative writers not having a grasp of the translation and that perhaps stunts their abilities. But I disagree that natural writers may have a limited vocabulary as that naturalistic vocabulary reaches beyond the steps that we create. So, I'd say that natural writers actually have infinite vocabulary. I would say that natural writers may have a limited understanding of that vocabulary and that may impact on their writing. But it's dead simple the way I write, I write it in my head - I play it. Perhaps if I had a better understaning of theory it would take less time for me to get things down on a instrument, but I'm fast enough for what I need.

Brian, you say you write from an exclusively "naturalistic" method, but honestly I find this hard to believe.

Theory isn't really knowing the "rules" of music; it's really just knowing the names of those "rules" (or better yet, "conventions") --- or, at least, the names that have been agreed upon by the musical community.

Whether you think so or not, you're aware of certain relationships between chords and notes, and you know how some things are going to sound before you play them. I'm sure you're aware how a G - C chord progression will sound. Just because you can't say, theoretically, what's going on there, it doesn't mean you don't have it internalized and don't understand it in your own way.

Or even if you don't know that you're playing a G or a C chord, you are aware that when you put your fingers on this fret (or key if you're a pianist or whatever), it's going to make a certain sound.

Studying the "works of the masters" is just another form of theory. You're going to learn how they did things and why, what you like and what you don't, etc.

I certainly don't agree that, if you don't know theory (in the proper sense), you're limited in your writings. Lots of great writers didn't "know" theory, such as the Beatles and Nirvana. But they obviously knew how music worked, and much of what they wrote falls perfectly within those "conventions" that music theory "teaches." If you know theory, it's a simple matter of seeing what they did in their songs and why, but that's not gonna allow you create your own masterpieces.

There are two ways to look at theory, IMO. One is a snobbish, "If you don't know theory, you're not a real musician and/or you're limiting yourself." That's not the view I take. I think of it as just a way of applying names and labels to things that we're going to learn regardless with enough exposure and practice. Really, knowing the names and labels isn't the important part. The understanding and internalizing the sounds is the more important part.

It's the being able to hear it in your head and reproduce it that's the more important part.

Imagine that you're jamming along with someone else. You're playing their song, and you don't know it. Their back is to you, so you can't see what they're doing. Can you follow along with what they're playing? That's the important thing. That's knowing music. Just knowing theory terms like "dominant," "parallel minor," "leading tone," etc. isn't gonna allow you to do that. You have to have a developed ear to do that. And whether or not you can dictate the chord progression in your head as it's being played doesn't change your ability to be able to recognize it with your ear and recreate it.

I knew a lot of people at college that knew plenty of theory, but they hadn't developed their ear at all. So, knowing theory allowed them to make "passable" music by themselves, because they're basically "painting by numbers"---i.e., the "rules" tell them where it's ok to put their fingers. But in the above scenario (jamming with someone else and having to rely on their ear), they'd be hunting and pecking because they didn't know what these "rules" sounded like.

By the same token, I also certainly don't agree that "knowing" theory impedes the creative process at all. Really, that's just rubbish. I mean, seriously ... by saying that, you're ignoring many, many acknowledged masters of the past. And that's not just including many recent pop music writers like Sting, Billy Joel, Paul Simon, and many others, but also classical masters like Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, etc., etc.

"Knowing" theory may not work for you, and that's fine. But, like I said, you actually do know some theory; you're just not using the same terms as the collective music communtiy does.

Nobody, and I do mean nobody, composes purely "from instinct and inspiration" every time. You're aware of how music works, even if you can't put it into words. You can't help it. If you play something, and you don't like it, your brain is going to tell you "don't play that; it doesn't sound good." Just with that, you're learning "music theory," even if you don't know the "proper" term for it.

And it's not a bad thing. It makes sense that the more you do something, the more you'll learn about it and the more fluent you'll be.

I never said that i don't use musical convention in any way, that has been drummed into me by listening to other people's music. I've already stated that I did have a theoretical background but chose not to continue with it as I didn't enjoy it & with regard to writing it doesn't work for me. I do know chords but I just know the sound of chords, I don't know which notes make up those chords and that to me is musical theory, understanding the structure of chords.

Just because I copied chordal shapes from a chord book or listen to other people's music doesn't mean I use theory. If I understand things in my own way then I'm not understanding things in the more conventional way of standard musical theory.

I really don't understand the problem here, if I hear it in my head I play it - I don't have perfect pitch so I have to calibrate the instrument to my head if you like before I start in earnest. Then I use relative perfect pitch to continue. This is a basic outline of things;

Note in head, find that note on instrument play it, next note in head, (with the relative pitch found) play second note.

I don't say, note in head, find that note on instrument it's C, play it, next note in head (tone higher) play D.

I remember having a full blown argument with a celloist online who said that it was impossible to write music if you cannot read it. She told me I was completely wrong (even though I was just by with ripping new material from my little portastudio onto my pc) Some people can do maths without a problem, others struggle it's the same for everything. I explained abc's of my writing method and still wouldn't believe me, 20 odd years and probably a really good player, but really thick as sh*t when the conformity that she lay in was taken away. She basically called me a liar because I could do something she couldn't understand, which was a bit sad.

"By the same token, I also certainly don't agree that "knowing" theory impedes the creative process at all. Really, that's just rubbish."

I believe if theory is used in place of imagination it will impede the creative process, I've already stated that if I had a greater understanding of theory I'd be more creative as things would move a lost faster!! If theory is used as it should be then it will not impede creativity it will up productivity probably. Sad thing is though you get questions like "how do you write a bridge" and I think if instead the thread starter put the time in to sit and listen to what his imagination was telling him with regards to writing a bridge instead of asking other people how a bridge should be written, then if talented (which is the real nitty gritty of this debate) the thread starter would have more of a chance of writing something more interesting and original. Fact is I would say f*ck the bridge, why do you need it? Great songs have been written without bridges. If your brain takes you to what is termed a bridge then fine, if it doesn't and you feel you have to put one in then, I think that is a great pity.

Last edited:
I never said that i don't use musical convention in any way, that has been drummed into me by listening to other people's music. I've already stated that I did have a theoretical background but chose not to continue with it as I didn't enjoy it & with regard to writing it doesn't work for me. I do know chords but I just know the sound of chords, I don't know which notes make up those chords and that to me is musical theory, understanding the structure of chords.

Just because I copied chordal shapes from a chord book or listen to other people's music doesn't mean I use theory. If I understand things in my own way then I'm not understanding things in the more conventional way of standard musical theory.

I really don't understand the problem here, if I hear it in my head I play it - I don't have perfect pitch so I have to calibrate the instrument to my head if you like before I start in earnest. Then I use relative perfect pitch to continue. This is a basic outline of things;

Note in head, find that note on instrument play it, next note in head, (with the relative pitch found) play second note.

I don't say, note in head, find that note on instrument it's C, play it, next note in head (tone higher) play D.

I remember having a full blown argument with a celloist online who said that it was impossible to write music if you cannot read it. She told me I was completely wrong (even though I was just by with ripping new material from my little portastudio onto my pc) Some people can do maths without a problem, others struggle it's the same for everything. I explained abc's of my writing method and still wouldn't believe me, 20 odd years and probably a really good player, but really thick as sh*t when the conformity that she lay in was taken away. She basically called me a liar because I could do something she couldn't understand, which was a bit sad.

Ok, but I'm just telling you that music theory really is just applying names and labels to those conventions that you're using when writing.

It's really just kind of like diagraming a sentence. Sure, a sentence is supposed to have a subject and a verb for it not be a fragment. But in actual literature, anything goes. You see fragments all the time.

"Just because I copied chordal shapes from a chord book or listen to other people's music doesn't mean I use theory. If I understand things in my own way then I'm not understanding things in the more conventional way of standard musical theory."

Yes it does. You're using theory. You have to understand that theory didn't exist first. It came after people started composing music. Someone sat down and started analyzing what composers had done, and that's where the conventions and "rules" that theory teach came from. Of course I'm simplifying a little bit, but basically that's what happened.

People didn't compose music to match theory. They extracted the theory from the music that was written.

Of course, now that it's well established, sure, some people are a slave to those conventions and don't let their imagine run free. But many others aren't that way.

It seems to me that you think you're in a more "enlightened" state or somethinig because you eschew theory and write "straight from the heart" or some crap like that. That's just foolish. Even people who can't write or read a note of music, like Kurt Cobain or John Lennon, still applied things that they learned in their writing.

They learned by listening to music and deciding what they liked and what they didn't, just the way the original drafters of "music theory" did. You're just kind of building your own "music theory" system, if you will. And it just so happens that most of it, I'd be willing to bet, coincides with what's taught all around the world with names and labels. You may think of it with different names. You may not even have names; you may just recognize sounds. But it's still a music theory system.

I don't want to get overly semantic here. I'm well aware that the term "music theory" is applied to the formal study of how music works. And I'm aware that you've "rejected" that form of study. All I'm saying is please don't get on your high horse and talk about how you have an "infinite vocabulary" and people who know theory don't. That's absolutely ridiculous.

We all have 12 tones to work with (in Western music, at least), and that's ultimately our vocabulary. I can gaurantee you that I've thought of things that you'd never think of, and you've thought of things that I'll never think of. But that doesn't have to do with the fact that I know theory and you don't. It's because we're different people, and we're going to think about things in a different way.

I still write by listening in my head to see what I think should come next, just the way you do (and I would imagine most songwriters). By knowing my instrument and knowing theory, if I hear something in my head, it just means I won't have to hunt and peck to find it. That's what it means.

In this regard, I can compose away from the instrument too, which I'll do quite a bit --- when I'm lying in bed waiting to go to sleep or driving in the car or something.

I'm not at all saying that people who know theory are better at all. As I've said, many great songwriters didn't know "theory" (although, as I've also said, they are aware of musical conventions and therefore know a good deal about how music works). I'm just saying that what you're saying --- i.e., you're "less limited" or have an "infinite vocabulary" as opposed to the finite vocabulary of "theorists" --- is silly and egotistical.

Once you've invented your own instruments that use an entirely new set of pitches and tonal system, then you can talk about how limitless your vocabulary is.

I believe if theory is used in place of imagination it will impede the creative process, I've already stated that if I had a greater understanding of theory I'd be more creative as things would move a lost faster!! If theory is used as it should be then it will not impede creativity it will up productivity probably. Sad thing is though you get questions like "how do you write a bridge" and I think if instead the thread starter put the time in to sit and listen to what his imagination was telling him with regards to writing a bridge instead of asking other people how a bridge should be written, then if talented (which is the real nitty gritty of this debate) the thread starter would have more of a chance of writing something more interesting and original. Fact is I would say f*ck the bridge, why do you need it? Great songs have been written without bridges. If your brain takes you to what is termed a bridge then fine, if it doesn't and you feel you have to put one in then, I think that is a great pity.

I just saw that you added this bit.

That's fine and all. I mean ... whatever. the OP just wanted some suggestions on what other people do for a bridge. He did say that not all songs need bridges.

And this isn't even a question of music theory really. It's more of a pop-songwriting question. Sure, he used Roman numerals in his post, but the traditional study of music theory isn't going to teach you what's acceptable or unacceptable for a bridge in a pop song.

He's just looking for people to say something like, "I like to start mine on the IV chord" or "Have you ever tried going to the parallel minor mode? Like, if the song's in C major, go to the key of C minor for the bridge." Things like that. He wasn't trying to say that there has to be a formula for a bridge.

I don't really think it's possible to use theory in place of imagination. It's only possible to use it in conjuction with imagination. A statement like that suggests to me that you really don't understand the nature of it. It seems as though you see it as strict rules, and it's not that.

I never said i was more enlightened, how can i be more enlightened when i've constantly stated that i don't know what i'm writing, i'm just writing :confused:

I'm sick of people picking through everything i've said, do what you want when writing, guess what - i'm going to do what i want, whether that means i'm "ignorant", a "pathetic bastard" or "think i'm more enlightened". I think i've suffered enough bullshit in this thread, noone seems to have picked up on those things i've been called.

Perhaps you should actually read my posts without drawing conclusions, for example, don't say that i think i have "infinate vocabulary" you're misrepresenting what i've said. I said natural writers have infinite vocabulary but because they have a limited understanding of that vocabulary that may impact on how they use that. So in actuality a natural writer who has an infinite vocabulary but no way of understanding it would in the end have no vocabulary.

I don't really think it's possible to use theory in place of imagination. It's only possible to use it in conjuction with imagination. A statement like that suggests to me that you really don't understand the nature of it. It seems as though you see it as strict rules, and it's not that.

Some people do, i've come up against it quite a few times, that is why i say if music theory is used correctly so much!! some people do actually use it as a formula for writing, i have relatives that do.

anyway, do or think what you want

I'm sick of people picking through everything i've said, do what you want when writing, guess what - i'm going to do what i want, whether that means i'm "ignorant", a "pathetic bastard" or "think i'm more enlightened". I think i've suffered enough bullshit in this thread, noone seems to have picked up on those things i've been called.

i hadn't commented further as beagle was doing fine covering the points i was trying to make... but i'm glad you brought this up... if you go back and reread my posts i never actually called you anything at all... i suggested that you had to make a decision whether you wanted to be or perhaps include yourself with that group...

ie: the pathetic bastard line... i suggested that if you were content to merely sound french... then you might seem authentic to someone who also does not speak it... but to a frenchman you'ld seem pathetic...

and while were at it... the reason i chose to use the language arguement was to try to keep the thread theoretical ...lol ... rather than getting lost in specifics of music theory...

"Stradivarius" made the best violins...

"Stravinsky" was a famous composer. It is ironic, in this context though, that he is well known for a lot of his violin work, tho...

well... let's hear something written, all original, in this new "infinite vocabulary" style, eh? I know I'd like to hear it. Perhaps it will have a nice bridge, I myself havent exactly mastered the bridge yet, I could use the lesson.

fire away

show me the better mousetrap.

You know, I think a LOT of people fall for that "PR stuff" that artists put out there. After White Stripes got popular? Everybody is running around thinking they can cut a ready-to-press CD in their basement on a 4 track cassetterecorder. "Hey.. thats all THEY used, man..."

"poppycock" that one got busted in print. Someone asked what the half million in "post production" work was FOR then.

A lot of musicians, good ones, too... famous or undiscovered... have this "thing" where they insist they play all by ear, by feel, whatever... thats not a crime, the crime is that so many people BELIEVE them. I guess it doesnt sound "cool" to admit to reading 800 page texts or whatever. *shrugs*

my guitarist buddy fed me that line for over 15 years. I couldn't get started with writing original pitched music (I was a drummer...) and thought there was somethign wrong with me. I one fine day, sat at my computer for 2 days straight, with no sleep, I would not LEAVE my computer till I had "adjusted and tweaked" every single note in my little ditty, such that each and every note "really rang out..." to my ears.

in the end? I recreated the pentatonic minor scale, LMAO. I found out that HALF or more of the "sound" I liked in stuff from classical to progressive metal was the "sound" of Pentatonic Minor...

THEN I visited my cool guitar friend, and I heard him sounding like a calculus major discussing stuff with his band at the time's singer... apparently, him and her were the only two people "writing" and "composing", everybody else was "jamming along" until everyone liked it...

"Dude! WHy did you feed me that crap about "you play with sounds, dude, unmtil it sounds good" when you were studying all this stuff all along?"

his answer?

"I didnt want you to think I was a geek."

Jesus H Christ.... do it by ear, do it by music theory, or channel spirits of dead composers for all I care. Great music is great music when its done, right?

I just know everytime I learn another "thing" my little ditty's go up another "notch". Its slow work. People dont make "the face" anymore when they hear my stuff, but... they arent telling me to quit my day job either... so, I have more work to do. half studying and the other half composing exercises so I can get better.

Back