how do you write a bridge? Song structure in general?

Let's riot!

couldn't agree with you more... incedently that's also the way stravinski saw composition... so we're in good company...

Thanks for the comparison. Any piece of music that can start a riot and stir controversy like "Rite of Spring" is the kind of art I wish I could create. I fear I am much more mundane.

Hey all,

I've been playing guitar and making up stuff on it for a while, but I've only recently gotten serious about writing complete songs. So far, the hardest part for me has been the bridge. Now, I know you don't need one in every song, but it really makes a song sound more dynamic and musically interesting. So...
I'm not looking for a formula, however I've noticed that in many songs, the bridge starts with the V or VII chord, almost like a key change. Or if the song is in a major key, the bridge will start with a minor chord. Do you guys have any other ideas?
Also, my songs all tend to have the following format: v1, pre-chorus, chorus, v2, pre-c, chorus, bridge, outro. Are there any other formats that you've found also work? Ie., starting a song out with the chorus, or going back to the verse after the first "pre-chorus." Thanks!

Brad

Your over complicating it.

I would like to know what music you are listening to and this is why.

The V chord has so much tension that a bridge usually woulld not start on this chord, definately not in rock music.

A bridge would not start on VII - its so unstable that It would sound like shit.

The only except to the above statements would be if the entire songs tonal center were based on that chord.

A song based on the V mod, or mixolydian is gonna sound either blues or old school rock n roll I BELIVE (as long as my memory is serving me right)

A song based on the VII should sound cool as HELL if you do it right.

You wont be changing keys in your popular rock songs - a key change makes people think, and that not somthing that they like to do when they are getting fucked up and listening to rock music.

If the song is in a major it is also in a minor key - to put it more correctly a diatonic scale contains 3 major scales and 4 minor scales. A key contains billions of scales, variating between major and minor.

Most rock songs would be in a "Minor" key. This is because they are using either the III mode (a lot of metal or spanish sounding stuff,) or more commonly the VI mode (a rock sound,) You can get it darker by using VII (Gothic sounding) as the tonal center.

Now, all this blah blah blah about tonal center and I and IV and blah...

Basically you can hear the tonal center, also the mode, in the bass. A good example of it is the CHuG CHUG CHUG sound in metal. Those chugs are the mode.

And all this harmonic theory will do beyond this is expand your playing skills

As far as getting the bridge good...

It anit a matter of harmonic manipulation. You can play the same 7 notes on the bridge as the verse and get it to sound completely different

The writing is in the timing. Theres 12 notes. You can only arrange that so many times. Time is infinate and has an infinate amounr of arrangements

Try manipulating the placement of the bridge, over lap it with the other parts, change up rhythms. You just got to get creative with where it goes how it goes where the beginning goes and where the notes go after that.

Dude you shouldn't worry so much about different sections of the songs and what they are called.

John Lennon wrote his early songs by taking the blues and turning it into 16-bar sections. Most blues songs do not have a verse and chorus. some do not even have a harmonic structure, but just sit on one chord. Try writing a song with one chord!!!!!

None of my songs have a "chorus". Just really catchy verses!

Anywayz...

The trick to writing a good bridge, or any contrasting section be it a chorus or whatever, is phrasing. the phrase being the melodic line, whether it is sung or instrumental. Most phrases begin on either the first offbeat, or as a pickup going into the first beat. When you change to a different section, your melodic line must start (and end) on a different beat. That is the trick.

To get more variation, you can also vary the number of beats you play each chord - double or half them or whatever. The idea is to change up the rhythm!

The way the lennon reference is pitch sounds misleading. While I'm sure what your saying is true...

,,, for the record lennon play a style called something like "skettle" before rock n roll (I cant remeber exactly what the style was called but it was popular in liver pool and they used a box board bass, but it wasn't the blues.)

Writing a bridge to a song is pretty hard. Well, its hard if you want it to be a true bridge rather than just some novelty change up. Simply changing rhythm or moving to some "minor chord" is not enough and its a stab in the dark at making a bridge what it could really truly be if you knew more about what you were doing.

It seems like you are wanting your bridge to break the monotony and take the song to a new height before returning back. If that is the case you are talking about "modulation". Modulation occurs when the song changes to a new key. NOT JUST GRABBING SOME NEW CHORDS. First you must establish tonality in the original key. Make sure the listener knows what key you are starting in. Then you can modulate correctly (powerfully, smoothly). Then for the modulation to sound true and strong you must establish tonality in the new key. Establish tonality by using alot of the I, V, III, and IV chords, or if using odd chords use alot of I, V, III, and IV notes in the melody. There are only a few kinds of modulation:

SHIFT MODULATION: This is the sleaziest and easiest. This is what most amateur songs have. Basically you just choose a new chord and go for it. It takes no skill and it shows. The only way a shift modulation can sound good is if the new key repeats the same chords like a sequential modulation. Alot of 60s music uses that kind of shift. Like when the whole verse and chorus moves up one fret for the end of the song.

SEQUENTIAL MODULATION: This is when a short melody repeats then repeats at a different pitch, carrying the song into the new key. Like in the song "When Love Comes Knocking at Your Door".

RELATIVE KEY MODULATION: This is when a song starts in a key, then changes to its relative major or minor. Like if you started in A, you would change the key to F#m, or from C to Am. Now be careful when doing it this way because relative chords are closely related anyways, so using secondary dominants will help make it obvious that the key is truly changing and not just using its relative casually like most songs do anyways. Remember, tonality must be established for the new key to be apparent to the listener.

PARALLEL KEY MODULATION: The song starts in a major or minor, then modulates to the major or minor of the same chord. For example, you start in A and end up in Am, or start in E and end up in Em. Alot of old Kinks tunes do this.

PIVOT CHORD MODULATION: The song changes to a new key using a chord common to both keys. This is another tricky one because tonality can be blurry if you dont watch out.

Modulation in chords has nothing to do with the beat or the rhythm. Unless you are changing the underlying meter of the song, the beats mean practically nothing. Simply adding more snare hits or something is not going to do anything UNLESS the modulation is solid from a harmonic perspective.

If you want to add a changing feeling try this (which you should be doing already if you are a skilled songwriter). You can make a song feel like its speeding up or slowing down by using augmentation or diminution of the melody rhythm. Meaning you just increase or decrease the number of notes you are singing from part to part. "Across the Universe" has a perfect example of how melodic augmentation and diminution work. You will also find it in a ton of other beatles tunes and practically every other great song as well.

Question:

1)Shift modulation = How do you choose a different chord but use the same chords - cuase you say its defined by playing a different chord, but it only works by using the same chords

2)sequential modulation= UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh......

Meldoic theory doesn;t use the harmonic circle of fifths modular theory when side steping the meloding or playing a third up diatonically or chromotically.

what ever your talking about, its called something else

3) what is the secondary dominant? is this like using the E7 chord 2x instead of one? Is this another name for sub dominant of the key? Is this a specific interval, or a somehow harmonically related chord? Are you talking about jazz theory and the turn around like a 5 2?

4) ok I hear that

5) I dont think the pivot chord works in rock - I tried it (but I didnt know what I was doin at the time) it sounded messed up when I went back into the normal parts and the arrangement beconed for the change to be played there.

Aside from that:

A bridge can not be defined in the terms in which you've defined it.

You can establishe tonality with any chord from another key. The melody will establish the tonality. The intervals of the meldoy will define it, not the chord structure, unless you are talking about jaz.

Using Iv in the scale will not define the mode or key. The most defining notes are 1 3 5 7. And calling it simply IV will confuse people, watch: am I modualting to the key of G? Then is IV related to G?? I dont know because Im playing an Em and 4 related to G is C but 4 related to Em is Am and the Minor only apllies if im playing the full traid - shit im lost!

Modualtion sounds gay in rock music

Augmentation and Diminuation could mean that since the english language allows it. However, in reference to thery that termonlogy is incorrect. Saying An augmented melody would lead the listener to belive that you meant a melody which occurs at a perfect interval such as the dominant or sub dominant where the root of that mode has been augmented or like wise diminished. The terms are a trunicated melody and....

...I forgot

Last edited:
The harmonic scale goes as follows:

I - IV - VIIdim - III7 - VIm - IIm - V7 and then circles back to I

The diatonic scale is a melodic term. The harmonic scale refers to harmony (chords)

How is diatonic a melodic term? Dia tonic menaing two tonics refers to 1 the tonic and 2 the dominant < sounds pretty damn harmonic to me, since a dominant chord is defined as the the only 7th chord type that has a major third and minor 7th.

Not quite sure why you rearranged the Harmonic Minor Scale that way to define it, but what ever...

If your song is in Am then Am would be the tonic.

Also, you will probably not find all the "terms" i use to describe things to be perfect with what is in musical textbooks (for the most part). I am learning things in a practical way, not a dictionary way.

But for how i use music technique the "harmonic" scale has two possible tonic chords. If the song is in a major key than I is the tonic (C for example), and if it is in its relative mnor key than VI is the tonic (Am in C).

Its really not hard to understand, and it works brilliantly. I dont know what the confusion is.

Ok, but how can you clarify this when by these terms and expansion of modal theory, you will come to find that a diatonic scale has 7 pairs of relative scales

Fuck it, all I got from this postings was skip that bridge - its not worth it, apparently its to damn much tension to deal with...

Fuck it,

Mr The Black Circl,
Who are you really? Some trojan or similar? Reading the plethora of posts you've made in a tiny temporal space suggests you need to rein yourself in a little. Is it possible for you to read and relax? Your stance is too combative - win friends and influence people by chilling a little, reading a lot and replying/posting from a suggestion, commentary or collegial perspective.
You seem to have a lot to offer but are doing so in a ruddy blush & with a minimum of tact.
I look forward to reading more from you without feeling tension or the need for a tonic.

FYI Black Circl, you were asking what a secondary dominant is.

It's when you make a chord major that's normally minor in the key. For example, in the key of G, the diatonic chords are:

G Am Bm C D Em F#º

If you're in the key of G, and you see an A major chord or an A7, then that chord is functioning as a secondary dominant. At that point, you'd expect it to be followed with a D chord, which is movement up a 4th (or down a 5th, same thing).

A7 is the dominant of D. But since we're in the key of G here, this is called a secondary dominant --- kind of like a dominant relationship on a temporary micro level as opposed to the overall key.

Here's an example of a progression in G that uses this device:

| G | Em | A7 | D |
I vi II (V of V) V

It's common to refer to secondary dominants as "V of xxx", where xxx is the chord resolved to.

Here's another example, this time using a different secondary dominant:

| G | B7 | Em | C |
I III (V of vi) vi IV

These are all examples of secondary dominants that act as they should (resolve up a 4th or down a 5th). But, especially in rock music, it's almost just as common to see non-resolving secondary dominants. This just means that they don't resolve down a 4th.

One of the most common in rock music from the mid-60s or so and on is the major II chord, which was the first example above. But instead of resolving down a 4th, it will move to the IV chord, like this:

| Em | A7 | C | G |
vi II (V of V) IV I

This progression is basically like the one in the Beatles' "Yesterday" and demonstrates the very common II to IV move.

Note: All of this is in accordance with the music world's universally accepted term of "secondary dominant." Good Friend uses his own terminology, so he may or may not mean this when he says that.

The devil

Tension and release follows the tritone. A V chord may allude to the tension by default but it's the dominant 7 that creates the tension. The V7- I creates the Ta-da and the feeling of resolution that makes a passage sound completed. Play around blues with I7, IV7, V7 and trace the motion of the tritones and you will see the common thread. Invert them and you will find that's all there is. I love Fripp, he's a scamp.

Tension and release follows the tritone. A V chord may allude to the tension by default but it's the dominant 7 that creates the tension. The V7- I creates the Ta-da and the feeling of resolution that makes a passage sound completed. Play around blues with I7, IV7, V7 and trace the motion of the tritones and you will see the common thread. Invert them and you will find that's all there is. I love Fripp, he's a scamp.

I'm not quite sure what your talking about specifically - while your right that the V and V7 are the most tension filled chords there are other methods to introduce tension.

I would like to note that V is equivalant to V7 diatonically speaking - even it the 7th is not played.

I don't think the dominant seventh rules apply entirely to the blues progession where they are all dominant sevenths

I haven't had time to study it for this particular style but please allow me to explain why I am thinking that the rules may be slightly different:

Diatonically speaking:

1) in a V7 chord the 3rd of V is also the 7th of the scale - so when a V7 to I change occurs the 7th of the scale is resolved.

2) in a V7 chord the 7th of V is also the 4th of the scale - so when a V7 to I change occurs a sus4 is resolved

3) and of course the 5th of the V7 is the 2nd of the scale resolving down to the tonic on a V7 to I Change

Alot of resolution going on right?

So anyway, the IV7 in a 12 bar doesn't got the same harmonic resolution taking place (i think, this is the part I would need to study)

Its got the dominant seven sound with out the sus4, major 2nd to 1st, and the 7th to 1st resolutions taking place.

I would like to know if you could explain the tritone and tension relationship - other methods of introducing tension include speed, pitch, and volume

I'm not quite sure what your talking about specifically - while your right that the V and V7 are the most tension filled chords there are other methods to introduce tension.

I would like to note that V is equivalant to V7 diatonically speaking - even it the 7th is not played.

I don't think the dominant seventh rules apply entirely to the blues progession where they are all dominant sevenths

I haven't had time to study it for this particular style but please allow me to explain why I am thinking that the rules may be slightly different:

Diatonically speaking:

1) in a V7 chord the 3rd of V is also the 7th of the scale - so when a V7 to I change occurs the 7th of the scale is resolved.

2) in a V7 chord the 7th of V is also the 4th of the scale - so when a V7 to I change occurs a sus4 is resolved

3) and of course the 5th of the V7 is the 2nd of the scale resolving down to the tonic on a V7 to I Change

Alot of resolution going on right?

So anyway, the IV7 in a 12 bar doesn't got the same harmonic resolution taking place (i think, this is the part I would need to study)

Its got the dominant seven sound with out the sus4, major 2nd to 1st, and the 7th to 1st resolutions taking place.

I would like to know if you could explain the tritone and tension relationship - other methods of introducing tension include speed, pitch, and volume

You're right that the IV7 chord in a blues doesn't resolve in its "proper" way. In a blues, it moves back to the I chord, so the b7th of the IV chord is not resolved down a step the way the b7th in the V chord is.

So the blues "breaks the rules" in this sense, but it's become so common that it doesn't sound wrong to our ears.

Noodeling

It took a lot of screwing around and jamming for me to realize the connection between tritones, dominant7 chords and blues progressions. There's a limit to inversions that limits the number of tritone variations. Once this epiphany came to me the complexity of the fundamentals of music became simplicity and my perception of atonal music became tonal. It's an experiment. The tritone is symmetrical and a perfect vibration, contrary to the perfect intervals IV,V+VIII.

It's an experiment. .

well i've got another for you to play with... consider for a moment the b9 added to a dom7... it only happens (semi) naturaly in the harmonic min scale ... the upper 4 pitches are a dim7 chord... and there are only 4 of them... it's comprised of 2 different tri tones... so the pitch 1/2 step down from any of the chord tone can be the root... the implications for modulation and substitution are staggering... make sense???

well i've got another for you to play with... consider for a moment the b9 added to a dom7... it only happens (semi) naturaly in the harmonic min scale ... the upper 4 pitches are a dim7 chord... and there are only 4 of them... it's comprised of 2 different tri tones... so the pitch 1/2 step down from any of the chord tone can be the root... the implications for modulation and substitution are staggering... make sense???

This is actually only true if you're replacing the root of a dominant 7 chord with the b9 --- not adding to it.

In other words, if you have a G7 chord: G B D F, and you voice it as a rootless 7b9 chord, with the notes F B D Ab, then what you said is true. Any four of those notes could be lowered by half step to form a normal 7th chord.

But if you had a full G7b9 chord, with G B D F Ab, the G note wouldn't fit the "lower by half-step to form another dominant 7th chord" rule.

Otherwise, like you said, it's a great vehicle for modulations.

just mho

how do i do this, how do you do that? ... hmm

It sounds a bit like, how can i reduce all of these wonderful infinite colours into formulae that makes songwriting easier to understand and do. Convert everything into primary colours for me please!!

I know nothing of musical theory - well not now, what I hear in my head I try and play. It's simple & I think it's the only true way of writing music. The stuff I write is me. Theory is like a middle man, it can (if in the wrong hands) destroy the most innovitive work. Go straight from your head to your instruments, not from your head to your theory to your instruments or straight from theory to your instruments. And certainly dont go from other people's heads to theory to your instrument - that's just nuts :D

If you're asking how to write a bridge then perhaps you shouldn't be writing seriousley. It may be more productive writing just for a laugh or hobbie and learn that way until you understand what I'm getting at. You wont get anywhere interesting by asking how to do this and that using a tired methodology. ;)

with regards to tension

If I'm talking about the same thing you were then i totally disagree. I love unresolved tension, a song I would throw onto that pile would be "air on a g string" by bach. It's unresolved tension energises me & fills me full of unresolved feelings - so much so I feel like I'm going to burst with happyness, sadness everything all at the same time.

Theorists limit theirselves by what they don't know, natural writers are only limited by their own imagination and ability to produce that in what ever form they want to use to communicate their ideas. IMHO ;)

Back