how do you record with precise timing

My problem is that people are not willing to take the extra time to get something right. Clients are content with 2 or 3 takes of guitar parts, and tell me that I should just edit it, instead of them playing it right.

hi bball,

there are a few things you can try, depending on what is causing the problem.

One of the things that can happen is that if you are double-tracking, you can be tricked into following the first track, i.e. your brain is listening to this, and your fingers follow a bit later. If you know the part well enough, you could try turning it off, and just play along to the backing. That way you are not 'following', but replicating the first track process.

The other thing you can try is to chunk it down into small sections. Record just a few bars at a time, rather than a big slice. Put the bars into a loop, set it on repeat and play along over and over until its right. Then record.

go back to the roots

Disclamer- Don't read this unless you really want to know how to lock it down.

One of the key problems that affect your timing is your foundation.

Many of us want to run before we know how to crawl. Many of us spend very little time on what we consider the "easy" stuff. "It's boring". "I can do that in my sleep", "I'd rather play video games..." etc.

Let's take a look at the first page of a beginner's guitar book- play four quarter notes on the open "e" string. Bing!

"That was easy...", we tell ourselves, and we move on. No metronome in sight. No attention to the "repeat" bars at the end of the measure. Did we just slam out four notes or did we really make each note 'sing'?

The secrets lie in the details.

In order to play accurately at faster tempos, start by playing the same thing half as fast! That's right, I said half as fast!!! In your case- bpm=60! Not so easy now, is it? :eek: Now make each note count! :eek:

When you can play accurately at least TWENTY TIMES w/o error, then start slowly increasing the tempo until you're back to the original tempo of your song.

I guarantee your timing will be dead on. You asked for the truth. There it is. Cheers, Rez

Well, I gotta disagree with the sentiment that there are no modern bands that can duplicate their recorded sound and precision live. Fear Factory does it, Strapping Young Lad does it, Death did before Chuck died, Soildwork does it, Type O Negative does it, Mesuggah does it, there are MANY who do it. But I admit, radio rock bands are not capable of a good sound live or of tight precise playing. If you don't look beyond radio, you wouldn't see any bands that are capable of sounding good and playing well, live.

The secret is not being lazy. You MUST practice for hours on end untill you get it. I'll spend DAYS on ONE SINGLE guitar rythm untill I am satisfied that I have done it right. Too many people are satisfied with "close enough" and rely on studio magic to clean it up. That sucks ass and I have zero respect for those people.

There is no easy answer or quick fix. You either do it right or you don't. You either practice or you don't. In the end, your choices will be evident.

Zed10R said:
Well, I gotta disagree with the sentiment that there are no modern bands that can duplicate their recorded sound and precision live. Fear Factory does it, Strapping Young Lad does it, Death did before Chuck died, Soildwork does it, Type O Negative does it, Mesuggah does it, there are MANY who do it. But I admit, radio rock bands are not capable of a good sound live or of tight precise playing. If you don't look beyond radio, you wouldn't see any bands that are capable of sounding good and playing well, live.

The secret is not being lazy. You MUST practice for hours on end untill you get it. I'll spend DAYS on ONE SINGLE guitar rythm untill I am satisfied that I have done it right. Too many people are satisfied with "close enough" and rely on studio magic to clean it up. That sucks ass and I have zero respect for those people.

There is no easy answer or quick fix. You either do it right or you don't. You either practice or you don't. In the end, your choices will be evident.

I agree about the live bands of this age, you have to look beyond the radio, there are plenty that play extremely well live.

I'll have to stick to practicing I guess, I just get really unmotivated playing the same thing over and over for days until I get it right, what makes you guys keep going until you nail it?

yep, the radio is for sheep...........

i think that some people are internally wired with the ability for repetitive practicing and some are'nt. i don't really think it has anything to do with laziness. i've learned more by actually playing then i ever did with practicing. i don't think that you should ever dread picking up a guitar. that does'nt mean that you should'nt occasionally play to a metronome though.

Back