How do you record to a VCR

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was actually fairly common among the basement recording set. In theory it seemed like a good idea, because they had a super high tracking speed, possibly in the hundreds of inches per second, but the results were never very good IMHO. Any advantage that the high tracking speed may have allowed was offset by things like switching error as each head moved on and off the tape in it's helical scan path, and something called time base error caused by inaccuracies of transport speed. The consumer grade VCRs, like all video recorders used moving heads to record and play pix and sound. The problem with consumer models was that these inaccuracies were far greater than in professional recorders, and the audio electronics in consumer models were a design afterthought.
olduncledinogiammattei

Gotta DVD/VCR player here that gets used all of the time. Most of my out of print classic movies are on VHS.

This thred is 14 frickin' years old!!!!!!
lol - Digging up the dead!

Gosh, here we go... :rolleyes: New inmate breaks tha code...?

Abandoning computer recording is one thing. But this is getting ridiculous. :eek:

Pointing out the obvious is one thing. Jumping to conclusions would be something else...

Who's abandoning the computer? Adding a digital contingency to computer recording is not the same as reverting to VHS.

I just happened to find it interesting... so shoot me for making a casual remark.

Last edited:
Gosh, here we go... :rolleyes: New inmate breaks tha code...?

Pointing out the obvious is one thing. Jumping to conclusions would be something else...

Who's abandoning the computer? Adding a digital contingency to computer recording is not the same as reverting to VHS.

I just happened to find it interesting... so shoot me for making a casual remark.

Lol! :D

You might want to try de-caf.

Last edited:
I still have the Sony Super beta Hi-Fi I bought new that I used late 80's to early 90's, and it still sounds great! I also have a stack of brand new sealed Sony Pro-X tapes and some other brands still sealed. It's still a good option for archiving high quality audio. I've never had problem with it, but I bought it specifically for audio and never watched a movie on it.

Old threads never die, they just bring people up to speed who weren't born yet when they were started. ;)

P.S. The better-equipped full service mastering houses still accept beta hi-fi along with half-track analog reel-to-reel tapes of course. I’m sure a lot of people would be surprised to learn how much stuff is still out there mixed to beta hi-hi and Super VHS hi-fi.

Yeah, well... I was born about 14 years before the first home VCR. Which explains why I got so worked about wanting one. Dad said "No, you're not having one. You only want it for Video Nasties." Yeah. That - and p0rn.

I still use a Sony Hi-Fi VCR as a bridge between Teevo and the amp. That's because there are no audio outs on the TV box. Only SCART. Which is a shame.

It might have a valid use (misuse?) in an attempt at building an analogue set up on virtually no budget. To combine it with the digital, one would still need a sound card capable of recording from the VCR. In which case, one might as well record direct to the computer. I might be pointing out the obvious here but, just saying, that's just how it hits me.

I've never stopped using the video {I just never called it a 'VCR'}. I actually have 2 and 2 DVDs. My genius system took a temporary knock last year when the government switched off the analogue transmitters and went digital, but with Sky, the freeview box and the 6 way switcher, I'm back in the saddle.
I have to agree with Doc Varney here, sometimes, when people answer questions in threads written last century it's plain daft. But every so often an interesting update comes through on an old thread. And there'll be someone in Balrrkushtaan that will benefit from the info here. :D

But every so often an interesting update comes through on an old thread.
I agree, But bumping a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD THREAD just to type "Interesting" does not come anywhere near qualifying as an "interesting update". But hey, that's just me. :)

I agree, But bumping a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD THREAD just to type "Interesting" does not come anywhere near qualifying as an "interesting update". But hey, that's just me. :)

:laughings: Oh, you guys...

You know what, RAMI? When you get this feeling, it might be an idea to go away and blow your trumpet (or whatever it is). You never know, you might actually end up doing something creative... or interesting - with all that pent up energy. ;)

For the record, I honestly had no idea how old the thread was - and I certainly didn't equate posting in it with 'bumping' anything.

Kind regards

Dr. V

you might actually end up doing something creative... or interesting - with all that pent up energy. ;
You're also too late. Your "pent up energy" remark is just a slight variation of me telling you you need to look into de-caf because you're way too uptight. So, at least try coming up with your own comments. I'm flattered that you feel the need to copy me though. :)

Get some talent(like maybe 1/10 of the talent I have) and then maybe you can mouth off. At this this point, your not creative, interesting, or original. :D

Why do internet arguments and hurt feelings in here always devolve into "your music sucks"?
I know, it's hilarious. As if I'm surprised. Anyway, who cares? This guy is alledgedly a "voice over actor" trying to record himself into a dictaphone. What the hell does he know about music. :laughings:

You're also too late. Your "pent up energy" remark is just a slight variation of me telling you you need to look into de-caf because you're way too uptight. So, at least try coming up with your own comments. I'm flattered that you feel the need to copy me though. :)

Get some talent(like maybe 1/10 of the talent I have) and then maybe you can mouth off. At this this point, your not creative, interesting, or original. :D

Ooo... scratchy scratchy... :laughings:

Perhaps this reveals just how uptight you were in the first place? But we're... still... having... a little harmless... fun... right...? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back