How do you record to a VCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

fendermustang

Was reading a reply to Blewzman in the Tascam forum when the topic of recording to VCR versus cassette tape to archive material.
How can I make a mix on my 424MKII and then save a copy to VCR??

Just run the line outs from your Tascam to the audio line ins on your VCR. Then hit record on the VCR as if you were time shifting some boob tube material. The lack of video content shouldn't upset the VCR.

When you save to a VCR, the better the VCR, the better will be what you save. I've read some stuff by others on the net and they say with the right VCR you have good stuff, as good as an ADAT, depending on your mix quality. I haven't used a VCR to do this yet. If I do, I'd probably buy a HIFI VCR or rent one to try it first.

Keep recording and mixing.
The Green Hornet

Look at the link on this sites homepage:

* A reader tests VHS to see just how good it really is.

Much is explained there.
Be relaxed about those tipa, once you get the hang of how your HiFi VCR works, you can be more relaxed about the whole thing.

The quality of the VHS tape is important too.

Bahaha! I just laughed so damn hard. I'm not sure what was so funny, but I needed that tonight.
As a side not, I can't remember the last time I even thought about a VCR

Bahaha! I just laughed so damn hard. I'm not sure what was so funny, but I needed that tonight.
As a side not, I can't remember the last time I even thought about a VCR

Same. I've not owned one in over 10 years. Still got a load of Video's in the loft though. Never to see the light of day again.

Same here. Once in a while buying a VCR crosses my mind because of all the pron I have on VHS. :(

Last edited:
I bought a VCR for $5 last year simply because we only had regular cable --- no Direct TV, Tivo, or whatever. So I had no way to record something and watch it later. It still works! :) Haven't tried mixing down to it though.

This thred is 14 frickin' years old!!!!!!
Thanks to 'Dr V' for dredging it from the grave!
I still use my VCR - rarely - it's a VHS-DVD machine, good for copying VHS to DVD, and the quality might be better if I recorded onto a DVD-R rather than an old used VHS tape, but I only use for the rare time I want to record a TV broadcast when I am out. The only thing worth watching on TV these days is Walking Dead, anyway! :)

:laughings:

Ya know tho, I read a couple years back that the VCR makes a pretty damned good medium for recording audio. In part due to the width of the tape. Almost like a 2" reel to reel.

True???

Back in the early 90's, I always mastered to S-VHS tapes. I had a top of line Mitsubishi VCR that had digital audio record heads and everything went on those tapes. In fact, we used to record all our jams on VHS tapes also because you could record for 2 hours before you had to "flip" the tape. Then around 94 I got a DAT and some 3 hour tapes and never used the VCR again.

Bill L

:laughings:

Ya know tho, I read a couple years back that the VCR makes a pretty damned good medium for recording audio. In part due to the width of the tape. Almost like a 2" reel to reel.

True???
I think I remember someone more knowledgable than me here saying that was hogwash. The tapes were thick, but most of that was used for video, not audio....or something like that.

I think I remember someone more knowledgable than me here saying that was hogwash. The tapes were thick, but most of that was used for video, not audio....or something like that.

In the context of the tape being better because it's thicker, you are correct; most of the tape was used for video information therefore that had no effect. The reason some (including myself) used to use it, though, is because it was recording a digital signal onto analog tape. Similar to DAT or later Digital Compact Cassette except that they were already in the market place and it didn't require any new equipment purchases. At least that's how i remember it. I was got loaded a lot back then ;)

Bill L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back