how do you clean pots

big country

just bought a cry baby for 20 bucks and im pretty sure the pot is dirty
was wondering if some one knows how to clean them

Those are sealed, and I've never found a way to clean them. :( Get a new one. Dunlop recommends a rectangular one, I forget the part number. It's on jimdunlop.com/support somewhere. :)

If the pot is really dirty try some SOS, gets that backed in sauce off the pots and pans at home. (this was a joke)

But I may be barking up a different tree...

Did you try turning full on full off then on/off/on/off etc for a little bit? Does that improve it?

Last edited:
SRR said:
If the pot is really dirty try some SOS, gets that backed in sauce off the pot.

But I may be barking up a different tree...

Did you try turning full on full off then on/off/on/off etc for a little bit? Does that improve it?
Yup, over and over and over ad nauseum

SOS as in the kitchen or bathroom cleaner? If so, that will also strip all the lube out of it as well and you will end up with a bigger problem.

Get some contact cleaner at Radio Shack. Potentiometers have a slot behind the soldering tabs where you can spray the wiper area. If that doesn't work, you can buy replacements.

lpdeluxe said:
Get some contact cleaner at Radio Shack. Potentiometers have a slot behind the soldering tabs where you can spray the wiper area. If that doesn't work, you can buy replacements.

But try something that's really made for this specific task...

DeOxIt

or...

RidOx

The generic contact cleaner wont get it. That stuff was originally made for open face tv tuners, where you change the channel by turning the clicky knob. It was originally called "tuner cleaner".

spray it in that little hole that lpdeluxe mentioned, then crank it back and forth until you pass out, if that doesn't do it then you have to replace it.

similiar question, i have a cry baby (nice odler one with the gain boost) but the gizmo that actually transfers the pedal movement to the board is loud and crackly whenever it moves. (this is a pot that moves back and forth via teeth on its "pole" that rotates against a "rod" with corresponding teeth that goes up and down as you "work" the pedal). Anyone every have a similiar problem? Easier to fix or buy a new pedal?

Dave

just bought a cry baby for 20 bucks and im pretty sure the pot is dirty

you can get those pots or locate an equivilant. you may have to cut the shaft if it's not the original sort and drill a little hole.
you can open them up and clean them but they get crudy soon after again.
i've tried everything but some new pot is the best. always.

Cardioidpotent said:
you spread it all out on an album cover, then you kind of tilt it while gently tapping... :rolleyes:
Is this like the song-no stems no seeds that you dont need, Acapulco Gold is bad ass weed?
BG/HSG

lpdeluxe said:
you should be able to buy some stuff that is a contactcleaner/lubricant just flood it with that stuff and that may work

Big Kenny said:
They are closed pots, just keep crankin' them, they'll clear up.

Exersize the pedal...all the way up...all the way down...over and over again. No need to get virorous with it.

Back