how come home recording morons

Do people get pissed when they hear there are better sounding mics than a vintage U-67?

I think there are.

Exactly.

219 or 319 with the PE (Premium Electronics) mods. I've got an old 219 that I've got to send in!

Exactly

On the right source, am SM57 sounds better than a vintage U-67.

Exactly
When's the last time you used a U67?? or a U47 or anything else in that league?

Right here:
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=248908&highlight=u47+vs+oktava+319

Many agree that a $100.00 ACM-6802 sounds better than a $4000.00 AKG C-12 (VR)

I recorded a singer with a Takamine nylon yesterday using 4 mics:

Vox: Neumann TLM49 > Pacifica
Guitar neck: C414 ULS (fig 8) > Avalon M5
Guitar bridge: ACM3 > UA M160
Room: ACM-6802T (omni) > Pacifica

The ACM-6802T & ACM3 were suprisingly good; each sounded excellent on their own and with the other mics. I put the ACM3 on the bridge as a fluke - we were suprised at how well it suited the guitar in that position.

However, in the middle of recording one song the ACM-6802T created random high pitch distortion sounds for about 30 seconds. We stopped, narrowed the problem to that mic alone and whatever it was, it stopped all by itself - we didn't even touch the mic. We used it for the rest of the session without further problem. It's the first time the mic had done that. In fact, it could have been the Pacifica, but I've used the Pacifica much more and never had that happen so I assume it's the ACM-6802T. I love this mic - I am praying it was a one time thing(!)

It is a great room mic for vocals/nylon guitar. Going to try it as a room mic for drums next weekend.

Oktavamod 319

I can highly recommend the oktavamod 319 PE floating dome.
Used it exclusively on a horn section the other day, and it rocks on all instruments. I don't usually like LDCs on my trombone but this one really worked. We set up a standard 319 next to it, and the difference was very noticeable. The mic belongs to a colleague so I haven't been able to test it further, but he loves it on almost everything.
long

Back