Home studio building

pandamonk said:
...if you can't hear what's coming in, due to the fact that your in the same room as it, then your gonna have to rescue it with EQ etc.

I'm not following this line of thought.

apl said:
I'm not following this line of thought.

Me too. I´ve been working in one room without other problems than space (4-5 piece bands + friends or girlfriends). I´d hear what is coming in.

I mean, one reason to have a separate room is so that the sound is isolated so that you can hear the results of mic placement etc. If your in the same room as the instrument then all you're gonna hear is the instrument, and not what is coming through the monitors. So it may sound great to you, but your mic placement is letting it down.

But the room is going to be so bassy you're not going to get a clean mix anyway is what we're trying to tell you. A room that small is really hard to treat effectively. The whole room would basically have to be a big bass trap. Not to mention what feeling cramped is going to do to stifle the creative process.

But it's up to you.

pandamonk said:
I mean, one reason to have a separate room is so that the sound is isolated so that you can hear the results of mic placement etc. If your in the same room as the instrument then all you're gonna hear is the instrument, and not what is coming through the monitors. So it may sound great to you, but your mic placement is letting it down.

OK, I understand. I've found it difficult to have my hands in the tracking room manipulating the mic while my ears were in the control room. But if you can pull it off, more power to ya! :D

Lol stop taking the piss, lol. Look at cincys studio, it's even smaller than my control room is gonna be. But i think it looks great, it will be bassy and cramped though. If you have slot resonator walls and ceiling angled 35 degrees towards the back of the room with the whole back of the room one big bass trap/broadband absorber(like my suggestions), wouldn't that help quite a bit?

pandamonk said:
Lol stop taking the piss, lol. Look at cincys studio, it's even smaller than my control room is gonna be. But i think it looks great, it will be bassy and cramped though. If you have slot resonator walls and ceiling angled 35 degrees towards the back of the room with the whole back of the room one big bass trap/broadband absorber(like my suggestions), wouldn't that help quite a bit?

Only some. Not saying it won't help, but it is nearly impossible to have a correct live and dead sound in a control room that size. You would basically have to absorb all sound in it, and make it completely dead to my understanding. This will cause you to add to much reverb or effects to your mix and your mixes will be muddy and distant. Also I don't think its understood that the rooms will need to be PROPERLY isolated for your argument to apply. If these rooms are just a single room separated by a wall which is what an architect not told to isolate them with consulting acoustics engineer will do, then the rooms will not be isolated and therefor the wall will be pointless. I do argue that separation is great if not needed, but it must be done right.

Ben

Back