Home studio building

So the control room is the same size as the double bed...

I think we need to look at correct scale here. Also the room is smaller than my studio and i only just manage to record bands in my studio. Wouldn't it be better to just use the whole room as live and control room.

That control room would be so small you could barely fit one guy in there. Many people i know have split up their small rooms hoping for better sound and more professional enviroment and they're all knocking down they walls they built.

The studios just become to cramped to work in. I'd really re-consider WHY you need to have seperate rooms.

drummerdude666 said:

I think we need to look at correct scale here. Also the room is smaller than my studio and i only just manage to record bands in my studio. Wouldn't it be better to just use the whole room as live and control room.

That control room would be so small you could barely fit one guy in there. Many people i know have split up their small rooms hoping for better sound and more professional enviroment and they're all knocking down they walls they built.

The studios just become to cramped to work in. I'd really re-consider WHY you need to have seperate rooms.

Well, I though a CR could help me, I really don´t know what to do. As I mentioned, right now I record local bands in just one room, no isolation, no acoustic treatment, just blankets, carpets, curtains and the stuff this room have. Now I have to divide it to be my homestudio and bedroom.

Thanks ddude
TS

Well you mentioned that you could wait and do it on the 4th floor. What is your option there? Also, you said that you thought it would cost more, but to do it right you would have to spend a lot in the other room too. Its best to do this right. What are your options.

Ben

emergencyexit said:
Well you mentioned that you could wait and do it on the 4th floor. What is your option there? Also, you said that you thought it would cost more, but to do it right you would have to spend a lot in the other room too. Its best to do this right. What are your options.

Ben

That´s right Ben, I have the chance to build up something on the 4th floor, I think it will cost more and take it longer because the third floor must be finished to start building something above it. If I divide the room I only have to spend money on acoustic treatment and isolation. If I choose the 4th floor I have to pay for everything.
I´ll wait until the architect tell me how much it will cost.

Thanks
TS

I would seriously consider when you're recording drums and other live instruments that you really need to monitor the sound for, move the computer upstairs and run a snake. I really think trying to fit a control room into a space that small is just going to be such a mess it won't be worth it. Plus the fact that the room will be so boomy you won't get true mixes anyway.

TamaSabian said:
Well, I though a CR could help me, I really don´t know what to do. As I mentioned, right now I record local bands in just one room, no isolation, no acoustic treatment, just blankets, carpets, curtains and the stuff this room have. Now I have to divide it to be my homestudio and bedroom.

Thanks ddude
TS

The room I'm working in is 13'x15'x8'. How on Earth are you planning to work in a room smaller than this? I do an all-in-one kinda deal. It gets tight in here with just 4 members from the band and me in here. Especially when the drums are in here. You're expecting to shrink it down more?

Good luck, man. I wouldn't be able to do it.

I have to say that recording is just a hobbie that give me extra cash and I really enjoy doing it. I´m a marketing chief of a consulting company, so I don´t do this for a living.
Here in my country is hard to live doing music, bands don´t have enough money to pay a decent studio. So they look for cheaper options that could give them a good cost/benefit relation. That´s where I show up. Bands that recorded at my place are really satisfied, the final product exceeds their expectations. If I invest too much in the room then I have to raise the rates and I´m no so sure if local bands could afford it.

If you wanna listen to what I´ve done go to:
www.freewebs.com/cobiestudios/audio.htm

Thanks
TS

drummerdude666 said:

Not the size of the double bed, the size of the room the double beds in. I know it's small but if theres only gonna be one, or a few people in it then it'l be fine, as long as there is enough absorbsion. If you think that's small you should see the room I'm gona be working in. 7'6 x 6'6 x 5'6-6'6

Well if you are doing building two rooms inside one it will still cost you. If you literally JUST build a wall to separate the room into two all you will have done is lost the ability to see your clients, this will not properly isolate the rooms and is will just waste money, space, and jeopardize workflow. So it will cost you money either way.

I'm a bit confused here, does your house not have a 4th floor, and you would have to build one for the studio? Or is there a floor already there. Either way I'd suggest moving it up there if it would have more space, your current room is just not big enough to properly record a band, Its a spacial issue even if you don't worry about acoustics. People just wont fit.

Ben

pandamonk said:
Not the size of the double bed, the size of the room the double beds in. I know it's small but if theres only gonna be one, or a few people in it then it'l be fine, as long as there is enough absorbsion. If you think that's small you should see the room I'm gona be working in. 7'6 x 6'6 x 5'6-6'6

You are going to have quite the time trying to properly mix in there, no matter how much absorption you try to cram in. Good luck!

Ben

I made it that small because if i didn't there would be no room for either the bedroom or tracking room. In the first suggestion i joined bed and tracking rooms, with just a small vocal booth to fill the space left. Tamasabian said he wanted them separate, i think, so i made the control room smaller to fit them both in. It will be just big enough to work in, but may not sound all that great, but surely if he installs enough absorbsion it'll be better than tracking in the same room.

Yeh i know it'll be difficult, but i really don't have any more space to work with. I'm 18 and living with my parents. I have a large shed, and anderson bomb shelter and the bottom of the garden to work with. The bomb shelter has a small room and tiny "room", and will contain the drum and vocal booths. And the shed is being split into 2 rooms. 1 tracking room and 1 control room.

emergencyexit said:
Well if you are doing building two rooms inside one it will still cost you. If you literally JUST build a wall to separate the room into two all you will have done is lost the ability to see your clients, this will not properly isolate the rooms and is will just waste money, space, and jeopardize workflow. So it will cost you money either way.

I'm a bit confused here, does your house not have a 4th floor, and you would have to build one for the studio? Or is there a floor already there. Either way I'd suggest moving it up there if it would have more space, your current room is just not big enough to properly record a band, Its a spacial issue even if you don't worry about acoustics. People just wont fit.

Ben

There´s no 4th floor actually. You´re right about space, I have to deal with 4-5 piece bands now and the space isn´t enough, that´s why I ask the to come alone, just bandmembers.
Hope I can solve this issue soon.

Thanks
TS

I disagree. Because "shit in shit out", so if you can't hear what's coming in, due to the fact that your in the same room as it, then your gonna have to rescue it with EQ etc. It is better to have a good sound straight in than use EQ. Just in my opinion. I think with enough bass absorbsion and only two rooms and a tiny vocal booth, like my first suggestion, it should be ok. I'm just thinking from my room size at the moment(14'x8'), and if yours is 10'x8' then(in my mind)it should be ok.

Back