history

Got it. Thanks.

Tjarko's listened to it and wants to redo the outro guitar. The thing's gonna change a bit, I think.

Just listening to this now, assume the original link is now the most-recent mix.

Background vocals are too loud, not hearing much verb on the lead vocal, did yu ad maybe just a touch of delay instead? one or the other needs to come up a bit, I think to make it sit better.
I'd prefer the drums up in volume, too, and sounds like the overheads were brought down too far.
The low end is all clear, but I don't feel much bottom in it either - maybe if the kick volume comes up with the rest of the drums it would help.

Yeah, thanks for listening so closely. I've done pretty much everything you highlighted, and more. I'm not going to repost yet, though. I'm waiting for a track to arrive. I appreciate the comments. The comments in this thread have been really useful. There are two kinds. The first is the one where as soon as I read I go 'Yeah, that was at the back of my mind but I ignored it,' and the other one is where I read it and go 'Really? Hm. Yeah.'

You've obvioulsy made some changes as I read through the posts - it's hard to follow the thread through AND listen as the Scloud link is on P1, though there's a copy on P2. Now on P3 to finish reading & the song disappeared with the page change.
I'm not a fan of the solo guitar's tone.
The rest of the track sounds, as is usual for you, quite organic but the guitar sounds treated & harsh.
Any chnace Pual Kossoff could be ressurrected to rip an LP through a Superlead soslo for you? that'd sound organic and grand.
I had trouble mixing Greg's drums too - to my ears what he delivered was SUPERB and I felt I couldn't improve them with tweaks so didn't. I did get tweaking reccos like the snare suggestion from him and followed those and was amazed how much better superb can be with a little help to sit within a specific mix.
Interesting song - quite a change as has been mentioned - very enjoyable.

Hi rayc - actually there's only been one mp3 that everybody in this thread has heard - I changed out the mix in the first five minutes I had it up and nobody commented in that time. I'll put V.2 up as soon as Tjarko sends me a new outro. The guitar tone - yeah, it's Guitar Rig. People talk about the difference between analog and digital recording, and I don't get it, don't hear it. But when people use amp sims of stuff like Pod to generate their guitar tone, you can hear it. Same with drums. I can hear it. I think you get the best results with guitar and drums by miking them. However, Tjarko's solo is better than I can do. When he heard the mp3, he told me to put more delay on the part, so maybe that will bring it into the mix a bit better.

Greg's drums: really interesting. They sound great right out of the can, but they also respond very well to EQ and effect - I put some pretty radical EQ and effect on the snare even before he told about the low mids for body. His drum tracks sound good on their own, and they sound good as you shape them. It's what I'll be looking for in every drum track I ever work with from here on in. I've been spoiled now.

Thanks for listening, but when I put the next mp3 up, please listen and compare and tell me what you think. I think the difference will be instructive.

Okay, new mix up top. I made a lot of changes, so many that it sounds pretty different in some ways. Tjarko even did a new outro part for the guitar. I think I need to duck it under the vocal. I don't know how to do that though.

This is a great sounding mix and everybody else has covered just about everything I would have said. There is one thing though - I'm listening on headphones and there seems to be a low end grumble carrying on through the quiet spots between the riffs. Can you hear it? It's almost like a floor tom resonating sympathetically with the bass guitar, but I know it can't be that. What can it be?

Okay, new mix up top. I made a lot of changes, so many that it sounds pretty different in some ways. Tjarko even did a new outro part for the guitar. I think I need to duck it under the vocal. I don't know how to do that though.

Easiest way: split the track into two tracks and mix the second one softer.

Oh, hi everybody! :) I've never done a solo like this...ever. Most of my guitars don't even háve a tremelo. I had so much fun though. At one spot in the song I felt like doing tapped arpeggio's, but I realized I needed to practice that first. Anyway, I'm happy I was able to add some fancy tremelo moves. Btw, I never expected Paul to actually use it. It was just me goofing off with a preset called '90's stadium metal'

Thanks for listening, and if it made you smile, it's even better.

Last edited:
Ok, so what did you tweak dobro? I think I'm hearing a little more fullness in the snare, a new guitar part at the end and possibly slightly lower backing vocals? Other than that, v2 and v4 sound pretty similar to me.

Mix #4 - Did you put more delay on the vocals? It is sounding more cohesive overall, but I think you could go even further in whatever direction you've gone so far when compared with the first mix I heard.

I've been out of the clinic loop for a while, glad to have caught this one. Listening to mix #2 on some Sennheiser cans. First impressions are that the vocal could stand out more, the actual lyrics get lost in the mix, especially in the first verse. Less so later in the song. Love the delivery though, and the groove overall. I skimmed the comments thus far, and I agree that the snare could use a little more meat. I don't say this often (because I love kick and snare driving a song) but the snare could come down a bit in the mix. I don't mind the hair metal solo, but I could definitely see something with less gain and less whammy bar :) But that's just preference. I was a CC Deville disciple back in the day.

I clicked over to page 2 of the comments and the song stopped playing. Jeez I do that too often...

Love the drum tone overall. Those toms just kick ass. Glad I checked this one out. You really remind me of Ray Davies singing, although I think that I say that every time I click on one of your songs.

Ok, so what did you tweak dobro? I think I'm hearing a little more fullness in the snare, a new guitar part at the end and possibly slightly lower backing vocals? Other than that, v2 and v4 sound pretty similar to me.

Tons of stuff. Way more delay on the vocal, turned down the bvs, new guitar outro and a bunch of details suggested during the thread. But stay tuned...

---------- Update ----------

Btw, that's you on bass Paul. :-)

Which is fine by me. I think it's great.

I know, but we're going with yours. Yours works better.

---------- Update ----------

Mix #4 - Did you put more delay on the vocals? It is sounding more cohesive overall, but I think you could go even further in whatever direction you've gone so far when compared with the first mix I heard.

I put so much delay on the vocal that you can hear it. If I put more on, it'll be slapback. You think slapback?

Love the drum tone overall. Those toms just kick ass. Glad I checked this one out. You really remind me of Ray Davies singing, although I think that I say that every time I click on one of your songs.

Good. You pass.

Listened to #4 above in the first post.
Just a bit too much reverb or delay on the lead guitar - most apparent on the tails. Great playing though. Just doesn't match the ambience of the rest.
The bass is a little hard to get the detail - a bit cloudy - same with the vocals - I'd love to hear a bit more detail.
The overall pattern is cool - definitely a rocker arrangement. I like the way it pauses in between phrases to give it dynamics.

Listened to #4 above in the first post.
Just a bit too much reverb or delay on the lead guitar - most apparent on the tails. Great playing though. Just doesn't match the ambience of the rest.

Yeah. That's how much delay there was on the track Tjarko sent. That's how he heard the track, so that's how much delay he put on the track. So now a decision's required. Do I ask him to send a dry version of the track so I can put less delay on it, or do I try to ramp up the rest of the mix space-wise in order to try to match the guitar? Do I want a stadium rock version, or something smaller? And why am I asking you? :)

The bass is a little hard to get the detail - a bit cloudy - same with the vocals - I'd love to hear a bit more detail.

Yeah, I'm swapping that bass out for a part that Tjarko did. It's tighter and the sound is better and he does some tasty runs and fills. The vocals lost detail when I put bags of delay on them to try to match the guitar solo. Like I said, decision time.

The overall pattern is cool - definitely a rocker arrangement. I like the way it pauses in between phrases to give it dynamics.

Yeah, and the new bass part will emphasize that. It's really funny. I don't do rock - I'm way gentler than that usually. But I really enjoyed writing this one and playing it and mixing was actually exciting. I'm starting to get rock.

Thanks very much for listening and noticing. You spotted the main issues.

I've listened to both v2 and v4 a few times each over the last few days, both on headphones and speakers. Suppose you're well into your next mix but i'll pitch in a couple more observations.

I thought v4 was an improvement.
Snare sounded fuller, vocals seemed to sit better and backing vocal didn't jump out so much with the shock value thing. Bass had more impact in the very bottom end.

No issue with the guitar tone or playing, but i thought it did still have too much delay/verb. Too much for it to sound good as an intentional effect anyway.

I still think the whole track was a bit lacking in low end ( c. 100hz and below). Kick was pretty light on, if you wanted the bass dominant in the bottom end i'd probably just overcommit and give it almost the lot (leave the kick alone and bring the bass up, as long as it didn't totally mask the kick). It's a bit of a catch 22 though, last mix i posted here i wanted the kick to really hit hardest in the sub 100hz region, and have the bass round out the low end ambience and 'fill the gaps', so to speak. People said it sounded undefined, and the kick had too much. Guess the opposite is the case with this track. Regardless i would still want to hear a touch more of the bass guitar in this.

As a general comment i thought the song was a good listen, didn't remind me of any other particular artist or style, i guess all songs are unique, so it would be pointless to say it sounded unique, but it certainly didn't sound derivative to me.

Back