history

dobro

Okay, here's the real rock, y'all. Closest I've been, anyway. Greg L on drums and Tjarko B on bass and solo guitar. I've never mixed anything like this before, but people sent me great files so it made it easier. Let me know what you hear. That's what I want to hear.

Last edited:
In general it sounds really good. I like the bass sound a lot.

Vocals are real clear. You always do vocals well. But they're much dryer than the other tracks. They kind of sit on top of everything. There is also a word or two that really jump out. You might want to check that and do a volume envelope.

Drums in general sound excellent. I'd back off the overheads just a bit. The cymbal crashes are a bit loud to me. The bass is is louder than the kick. To me there isn't an equal sharing of the low end - the bass is getting a bit too much. (this is a really nitpicky complaint - others might disagree with that).

That little thing with the lead guitar at about 2:08 was really cool. Sounds like you might have boosted the volume for a second. Anyway, it was cool.

Hey, MMM - thanks for that. Stuff to think about is what you're talking about and stuff to think about is what I want. Yeah, I don't have much experience of mixing drums (I forgot to pan the overheads until about 30 minutes ago, for instance :facepalm:) so I'm really curious about that. I agree with you about the dryness of the vocal, I think. The volume bump on the solo guitar was how he played, and I loved it and kept it. He's interesting that way.

I second TripleM about the vocals. They are crystal clear, but need sit in the mix a little better. Try some extra verb, or backing it off 1db.

The overheads don't sound too loud to me. I actually like when I cymbals are a bit more pronounced than standard mixes. In real life, cymbals hit you in the face.

I don't think the bass is too loud either, and it has a great tone. BUT the bottom end of the song isn't very full. Sounds like the bass and kick have both been HPF too much, or the bass wasn't recorded with enough energy in the 60-120hz range. I would try a 1-2db shelf over the entire mix from 120hz and below before messing with the individual tracks, only because the kick and bass both sound great on their own.

You could also try bussing the kick and bass together with some parallel compression to lock them in.

Great mix overall though man, thanks for sharing!

That's interesting about the low end. There's nothing on the bass part at all - it sounded okay, so I didn't touch the low end. I put a 30 Hz highpass on the kick. I'll drop it a bit and see. Good idea. Damn, what to do if the frequencies just aren't there? Time to reach for some synth augmentation, I guess. I've never done that. But Greg recorded the drum part and he knows what he's doing so it's probably just my lack of mixing chops that's the culprit. That's what this forum's good for.

Thanks for the impression about the vocal. A pattern's emerging, I guess. That's what it is - they don't sit in the mix well enough.

I think if you just dropped the bass level by .5 db and raised the kick by about .5 db I'd be happy.

:laughings:

Just before I posted it, I'd raised the bass by .5 and dropped the whole drumkit .5.

Hey dobro, did you update the mix? i can see a post edit and the vocal level/mixing sounds in a good place, so I'm guessing so. Separation and stereo spread throughout is great and gives all the parts plenty of space to clatter about very nicely.

Bass sound is really good, solo is cool, vocal arrangement is great. Really enjoyable, I don't think I've got any nits :)

That main riff/sound is reminiscent of old Pink Floyd..love it. Overall sounds great...I think that the vox may be a little to out front, but just my opinion and by no means should be taken as fact lol

The guitar (?) on the right was a bit strange. It didn't have any counterbalance in the left ear.

I think it's realy cool that some of you guys got together and did a thing online.

I second Bruthish, very Pink Floydish 70's, but some of the backing vocals sounds like something out of Prince latest. I think it's terrific!, really good stuff this.

I think the mix is fine, and I'd say it's down to your gut feeling now, how you want it :) artistic expression! Stand by your balls! ;) If you leave it like this, it's great.

Lol. It's about time. That solo is ghastly. I didn't know you had CC Deville doing your solos. Lol.

I think the vocals, particularly the backing vocals, are too out front. They jump in and out and seem like it's just vocals over a backing track. The snare could use a little more meat.

Yeah, this is a little more rock than I remember from you before. The guitar parts reminded me of a little feat or something along those lines. Drums and rhythm guitar sound awesome.

I didn't think the lead vocal was too loud, but it did stand out from the rest of the mix in terms of clarity and dryness I think? I thought the tone and style of the guitar solo was kind of surprising given the rest of the song. It just seemed a bit extreme, but it was well executed to be sure. I liked the background vocals you have in there too, but maybe they could come down just a bit?

It's a fun song and I enjoyed listening to it several times the last couple of days.

Just listening to this now, assume the original link is now the most-recent mix.

Background vocals are too loud, not hearing much verb on the lead vocal, did yu ad maybe just a touch of delay instead? one or the other needs to come up a bit, I think to make it sit better.
I'd prefer the drums up in volume, too, and sounds like the overheads were brought down too far.
The low end is all clear, but I don't feel much bottom in it either - maybe if the kick volume comes up with the rest of the drums it would help.

Drums and rhythm guitar sound awesome.

I think so too. The guitars swirl and there's an echoplex effect on the snare that absolutely drives what's already there.

I didn't think the lead vocal was too loud, but it did stand out from the rest of the mix in terms of clarity and dryness I think?

Yup. I'll see to it.

I thought the tone and style of the guitar solo was kind of surprising given the rest of the song. It just seemed a bit extreme, but it was well executed to be sure.

The tone is all Guitar Rig. As for the part, it really works for me. Tjarko always spins off whatever feeling he picks up in my stuff. On this one, he picked up on the bitterness of 'am I good enough to deserve your love' and went all intense and incandescent with it. He picked up on Greg's drum part as well. I trust his stuff completely. It's always genuine, inventive and it mirrors what he perceives in the tune in a way that lets me know what's there.

I liked the background vocals you have in there too, but maybe they could come down just a bit?

Yeah, you're hearing that too, I get that. Maybe a bit down, but they provide shock value, so it'll be a compromise setting in the end.

It's a fun song and I enjoyed listening to it several times the last couple of days.

Welcome to the club. That's the best thing you could have said. Not just cuz it's pleasant to make music that people listen to, but also because your mix comments are based on more than one listening. :thumbs up:

The guitar (?) on the right was a bit strange. It didn't have any counterbalance in the left ear.

I disagree. It's anchored in the left side, and the right side fills it out. The left side is actually 3 dB louder than the right, but the effect I've got on it messes with the perception of it.

I think it's realy cool that some of you guys got together and did a thing online.

I agree completely. I've retreated almost completely into doing everything in a tune myself, but occasionally I still try to persuade talented people to join in. Getting Greg and Tjarko on this one is pretty much as good as it gets.

Okay, here's the real rock, y'all. Closest I've been, anyway. Greg L on drums and Tjarko B on bass and solo guitar. I've never mixed anything like this before, but people sent me great files so it made it easier. Let me know what you hear. That's what I want to hear.

Great playing, great singing, great bass tone, pretty cool song, pretty cool vocal effects, especially that last one at 2:30 or so. Scared me a little, in fact. As a general personal preference I tend to like vocals to be back in the mix a little more, but the vocal in this song is tricky enough that it almost sounds like another instrument, so I think the current level works here.

I didn't listen through monitors, so this might be nothing, but I had a little trouble hearing the kick.

Lol. It's about time. That solo is ghastly. I didn't know you had CC Deville doing your solos. Lol.

I'm unfamiliar with Mr Deville's work, but I'm sure Tjarko will be entertained by the comparison.

cc deville.jpg

I think the vocals, particularly the backing vocals, are too out front. They jump in and out and seem like it's just vocals over a backing track.

Got it.

The snare could use a little more meat.

Yeah, I get that, but how? I'm pretty new to this.

Yeah, I get that, but how? I'm pretty new to this.

Do an EQ sweep in the 150-400 area. There's usually some snare girth in there somewhere. Find it, give it a little focused boost, and gently scoop out a little of the incidental muck you bring up with it.

Back