Hip Hop Microphone Advice

What did you use to record that? I think the tone is fine, but the processing seems kind of "veiled". It just lacks presence.

Do you remember what mic you used?

it was a zoom H4 handy recorder, yeah i think it sounds ok it just lacks presence like you said, and your saying i should just use software compression instead of hardware, I have Izotope Ozone 4 and its pretty decent. any other software compressors you would recommend? and why do you think a ksm32 would be better? and any other things that i need to buy?

Last edited:
I don't think a KSM32 would be better, just more neutral sounding. It really depends on how fat you want the vocals to sound. You're voice to me works well as-is, but that's just my opinion. Seek out as many as you think you need.

There's a lot of good VST compressors. I have a couple I like, but I'm sure there are better. Compression is best if you add it after the vocal is recorded. Like any other effect, that way you're not stuck with what you laid down.

alright, i know this is a freakin retarded question but how would i connect it into my computer like if i run my mic into the preamp how would i hook the output of the preamp into my computer, do i need like a different sound card or???

alright, i know this is a freakin retarded question but how would i connect it into my computer like if i run my mic into the preamp how would i hook the output of the preamp into my computer, do i need like a different sound card or???
What sound card do you currently have?

Well, there's another area that's important to the improvement in sound. Built in sound cards have terrible (well, at least not very good) A/D converters.

Is this a laptop or desktop?

Ive only dealt with usb interfaces but Ive wondered...if I ever decided to get a preamp how would I connect the preamp:confused::confused::confused:

I guess we both got questions that are related...sorry to invade your thread man:)

Prosumer and pro level sound cards come with inputs on them to connect the output of a preamp to. The driver for the sound card tells the computer how to deal with those inputs. But you don't need to worry about that part.

The biggest improvement that you can make right now is a sound card. The Firepod by Presonus is good depending on how many in's and out's you need. M-Audio also makes some with less in's and out's that are pretty good. Get a decent sound card (interface) first. Then snag a decent mic, decent pre, and maybe a compressor.

PreSonus Firepod - 350
Shure SM7b - 350
FMR Audio RNP - 475
FMR Audio RNC - 175
KRK RP-8 Studio Monitor Pair - 398 (199 each at Musician's Friend right now)

There you go. There's an already packaged solution for you. And what's better is that you can probably get all this stuff used and in great shape for even cheaper. I don't know how much the KRK's usually go for but 199 each seemed like a good deal to me and I hear good things about them. If you already have studio monitors, you can take them off the list.

Also, if you don't need as many in's and out's as the Firepod has, you can get an M-Audio card that has few in's and out's. The M-Audio Delta 1010 LT is a great solution at 200.

To be honest, if you're having to ask questions like this while insisting that you have to spend no less than $1200 on a single mic, I suggest you take a few steps backward.

To be honest, if you're having to ask questions like this while insisting that you have to spend no less than $1200 on a single mic, I suggest you take a few steps backward.

who was talking to you again???

Myriad_Rocker Prosumer and pro level sound cards come with inputs on them to connect the output of a preamp to. The driver for the sound card tells the computer how to deal with those inputs. But you don't need to worry about that part.

The biggest improvement that you can make right now is a sound card. The Firepod by Presonus is good depending on how many in's and out's you need. M-Audio also makes some with less in's and out's that are pretty good. Get a decent sound card (interface) first. Then snag a decent mic, decent pre, and maybe a compressor.

PreSonus Firepod - 350
Shure SM7b - 350
FMR Audio RNP - 475
FMR Audio RNC - 175
KRK RP-8 Studio Monitor Pair - 398 (199 each at Musician's Friend right now)

i already have a set of studio monitors and have some compression plugins on my pc, so i pretty much just need a pre a microphone and an interface, ill prolly go with the RNP then later on buy a compressor and i really dont need many inputs on the interface so ill buy the cheaper one. thank you guys for answering my questions. would this be good enough?? http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-FireWire-Solo-Mobile-Audio-Interface?sku=701364

Last edited:
Check out the ElectroVoice RE-20. It's used a lot in broadcasting and has a very thick solid low end which i think could compliment both of your voices well especially in a hip hop setting. Spend the rest of the money on a nice preamp to compliment it.

_Barrett

yeah i have a firewire card i installed in my computer. also i have a pair of Samson Resolv 50a's. could i still use a RNP in combination with that particular interface if i end up buying one.

who was talking to you again???

Again? This is my first input in this thread. You're probably mistaking me for someone else.
Other people have already said similar things, most probably because they're true.
This is a public discussio, where anyone can chip in. What's the point in asking if you don't want honest answers?

To dismiss a SM7B (which is a brilliant mic) as not being good enough on the basis of it not being expensive is narrow-minded enough anyway, but when you have no proper recording soundcard/interface or preamps its just plain stupid.

The Firewire Solo will work, but will it (and some low-end Samson monitors) be good enough to get the best out of a $1200 mic? Probably not. Your chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Lower your sights for the mic a bit and you'll be able to get a much better sound by spending a bit more on the other parts of your recording setup. You need to consider the acoustics of the room you are recording in, preamps and converters, your monitoring setup, and your skill and understanding in recording/mixing.

These things will make a greater difference to the quality of your vocals than the difference between the mics you are fussing over.

a ksm44 isnt a $1200 mic, and my monitors aren't going to change the sound of my microphone their speakers they may allow me to hear better or more clearly but wont change what goes into the microphone. i have a closet set up with foam that is good enough for me. but you saying

Doesn't help me at all. i said who was talking to you? because you just stated an opinion about me. which doesn't do anything for me. i heard samples of a sm7b and while it sounds decent i like the sound the ksm44 better. im not going to bother arguing im just hear to ask some questions.

Doesn't help me at all. i said who was talking to you? because you just stated an opinion about me.

Well, he may have stated an opinion, but really it was an objective one. I think you're being overly defensive. He states truth that everyone needs to face. You have to sometimes step back to square one and look at things clearly. It wasn't a put down, it was just offering another perspective.

Back