Help with a mix

Perdicament

How does this sound.... what needs tweakin, this is my first attempt with working with another band besids my own and I'd like to do them justice...

The first thing that hits me, is the crash cymbal being out front too much. This is just a first listen through though.

I really like the drums. The snare is punchy . The rim tapping?... and the ride sounds great. They seem to be where they should be in the mix.

You might bring the guitars and the bass up in the mix.

The vox sounds right in the mix too.

True :)

There may be a bit too much high on the guitars...??

I really like this mix perdicament. I am still listening. It is crisp and punchy and has that great live performance feel to it...my favourite. Other than a little tweaking here and there, I think you have a fine mix.

Okay, after listening more, I kinda like the crash up front...but maybe pull it down just a tad !! :D

That snare kicks ass in my opinion !! In fact, other than that crash, the whole drum mix does !!

M'kay, thanks for the comments...I appreciate it....

I thought that the kick was a tad boxy so I added a bit more click to it...I brought up the guitars 2dB on both the L & R and 1dB on the C.... I added a tiny bit of stereo imaging to help widen it a bit...added a lil bit of mids on the entire mix and lowered the high end on the mix as well to help bring out the guit and smush the cymbols a little....Litle more Bass around 60Hz...

here is it as per your suggestions.... And THANKS for helping me on this... I just want the fellers to be happy.... you all are priceless....

:) :D :) :D :) :D :p :p :p

I personally think the drums are a litlte high in the beggining and then get good in the mix. The guitar sounds nice maybe a little higher and the vocals are good maybe a tad higher if you want them punchy.

Heh, okay, so i was thinkin that when the drums come in they are a tad loud, untill everything else kicks in.... I'll throw an envelope on them...

Now, you still think I need more Guitars???? thru the whole thing??? I thought it was pretty good, How much more if ya had to guess??

Thanks man...

The crash sounding much better...!! Please don't change the ride..it is perfect.

The bass gives it more of a bottom end edge now...oh yeah.

The guitars are better. I think this tune is more of a drummer showcase rather than guitar. So let em shine!!!

The drums really do kick butt in your mix perdicament.

Thanks True....aprreciate it, I cannot add rep to you..I gotta spread the love around first.... :mad: :p

Heh, to think that the drums are only 4 mics too, Kick, Snare, and 2 OH's...two shitty OH's I might add....I'm just glad I got the tracking of it good enough to work with, and make something 1/2 decent outta this....

He was playing my drummers kit, which is huge... 6 toms 2 bongos, 12 cymbols, 2 snares...chimes...you name it.... it's a nightmare at gigs.... :eek:

You are welkom perdicament...don't worry about the rep. I think I can fair okay... :eek: :D :D :D

There is something about the lead in this though...I don't know why I say too much high....perhaps for lack of better term? But there is something with it, and I think if you crank them anymore, they will be annoying. I love a screaming guitar, but this has an almost screech to it...I dunno, if I were better at this, I could tell ya...but alas...Hopefully someone else will hear what I am hearing and know the proper term..or maybe I am just hearing things.

True.... :)

I still love those drums! The snare's tone is soooo good. I have yet to get that special tone on my snare. I think I am going to try some different heads. I am not a drummer, so I don't know a lot about it. No matter how I tune it, it sounds crappy to me. The snare is a Pearl piccallo and has a Remo weatherking coated on top and a Remo weatherking clear on the bottom now. :D

Ahh, thanks for the advice, I just burnt the last effort and threw it in the car, which is always a good test spot.... The Guitars have too much high end in them...and I don't like the panning on them, they are annoying asa mo fo... same with the vox...tad too much highs in them.... My ears actually are very fatigued after cranking it in the car so I now have a better idea on what to change....

I'll repost inna bit...

thanks so much!!!

You are welkom perdicament...so the term too much high on the guitars was correct? There is hope for me yet!!! :D ;)

Ahh, why yes ma'am, it was a tad harsh on the ole cranium....

Here is the (hopefully last) version.....

I hope I got it right this time.... I added another guit track and panned the one that was center out to 60/60 so now there is 4 guit tracks and I rolled off some high end in both the guit and vox.... I think it's probably where it should be now....

:) :eek: :eek: :eek: :p :p :p :p

i'm with hangdawg. the drums are really loud. the drums sound boxy in general, very mid heavy, almost like they're in a tube......i can't put my finger on it. were the overheads dynamic mics? the whole mix sounds very loud, no dynamics (that's my gig :D ). did it go thru a limiter? it's like the song punches me in the head from beginning to end, which i don't think works for this song.

i think it's a cool song. kind of reminds me of the spin doctors and the black crowes in some ways (two of my favorite bands ever).

i think what true is hearing on the guitar is distortion either from the mic used or from the limiting.

if you have any spin doctors or black crowes stuff around, maybe you could use it for reference while mixing.

edit: i'm a complete retard today, scratch the spin doctors.....insert blind melon. :D

Hmm not a bad idea Travis.... I think I agree with ya on the 'I pushed it too hard' with the limiter... I backed it off a bit to allow for more dynamics...I also lowered the drums a touch.... I felt the same way when I was listening to it in my car...I felt like my ears started suffering fatigue not even 1/2 way thru the tune... I thought it was the guitar and vocals at first, but it probably was also due to the pushing it too hard...(I've been mixing alot of metal) so I was aiming for a certian RMS value, which I don't think behooves this tune at all...thanks for pointing that out....

Perdicament, I think you definately moved in the right direction with that last mix...........leaps and bounds over the first mix. I think the chorus helped to smooth out the guitar too (maybe the chorus was already there? i'm goofy today). Other than what you've already fixed, I think the bass is a tad on the boomy side and the snare could use a bit of eq, reverb, or both, sparingly, to help it sit in a little better......just a couple of things I might try. maybe try a different verb on the vocal too.

Back