help. recording volume problem. asio driver related.

yes there is a control panel but there is no option for adjusting the volume there.

Reread my post. I said volume adjustments done on the digital signal won't solve your problem but that if you can switch off mic boost in ASIO4ALL it might fix it.

Best solution: get an interface made for what you're doing and stop trying to force the built in sound to do what it isn't designed to do.

ok...thank you everybody for all the help.

but i still dont understand why asio wont work for me the way it does for others.

First off, it's not ASIO. It's a bit of software that makes MME devices show up as ASIO in your DAW.

Second, ASIO4ALL is a very clever bit of software that works with ALMOST every bit of hardware out there...but not every piece. It has an amazing success rate but there are occasional problems as reported on the ASIO4ALL forums. It might be worth registering there and reporting your issues in detail...the guy who writes ASIO4ALL is pretty responsive and tries to help as much as he can. He might be able to give some advice or include your problems in his next update.

Bottom line though, a basic proper USB interface with real ASIO drivers can be had starting at about $60 and will sort out all your problems.

while i'm at it, is there any other software/driver similar to asio4all out there?

i'm no professional.i'm just a girl who uploads song covers on youtube. so buying an interface is my last resort.

Buying an interface should be your first resort. Sorry, but ASIO4All is the best and likely only thing of its kind. Lexicon Alpha, $60. Just find a way to do it. You will then understand that you are wasting time trying to make something that is not capable of working, work for you...

:)

It's probably the most common sound "card" these days...though not actually a card, just about a square inch of IC circuitry on the motherboard.

It's probably the most common sound "card" these days...though not actually a card, just about a square inch of IC circuitry on the motherboard.

is it better than the sound card/driver that my laptop came with (which is idt audio something)?

I don't have any experience with the IDT card but I doubt Realtek is much better (if any). Realtek is common because it's cheap and small, not because it's much good. It's aimed at video playback and Skype phone calls, not recording.

Hmmm...that could be part of the reason you're having problems with ASIO4ALL though. I know it works with Realtek but IDT is a less common internal interface. Maybe the writer of ASIO4ALL hasn't sorted it out to work with your IDT.

i'm talking about realtek hd audio device driver - Realtek

i'm downloading it for free right now. and i will install it as my sound driver, hoping asio4all works.

I suspect the Realtek drivers will turn out to be specific to the Realtek ICs--and, even then, there's a lot of customisation based on the motherboards in use. However, maybe IDT use rebadged Realtek hardware or something so let us know how you get on.

i couldnt install realtek no matter how many times tried. my pc kept auto installing idt.
then later i figured that i needed realtek hardware to install realtek driver. i'm such a newbie.

by ic you mean...internal card?

i couldnt install realtek no matter how many times tried. my pc kept auto installing idt.
then later i figured that i needed realtek hardware to install realtek driver. i'm such a newbie.

Probably "integrated circuit".

As bouldersoundguy said, I meant "integrated circuit" but, just to confuse you, a Realtek sound card is just a single integrated circuit so I guess...in this case...it COULD be "internal card" too!

However, when you see the acronym "IC" in a discussion of electronics, it's pretty safe to assume they're talking about an integrated circuit!

ok so ic is integrated circuit.

i figured it's not possible to change drivers on my laptop (hp pavilon dv6 3049...just fyi)...so i have decided to stick with mme.

also i noticed the recording with with asio4all had many cracks and pops. so though the quality and latency were greatly improved, the cracks and clipping make it impossible to work with.

i've been trying to find ways to decrease the input volume. i tried covers to mic with a piece of cloth. it didn't work. xD can anybody think of any other unconventional ways?

Back