HELP! My TB1 is making a fluttering noise

earlwgreen

I just started to work on a new project and my TB1 is making a fluttering sound. I tried it through another board but it still makes the noise. I'm sure it's the mic. I also keep it in plastic with a silicone bag so I don't see how moisture could be the problem.

Any idea on what could be causing it? I will contact PMI Monday, but I really wanted to get this project started in the next few weeks.

Thanks

Earl

Could still be moisture. Are you sure your silica gel hasn't reached capacity? You need to periodically bake the stuff to dry it out if you are in a really moist climate or don't have air conditioning (and if you have air conditioning and are not in a really moist climate, you really probably don't need the bags or the silica).

Try the light bulb trick for a bit. Can't hurt.

Can you describe the noise in more detail, or give a sound sample?

Could just be the tube. Have you tried swapping it?

dgatwood I will try the light bulb again tonight and leave it for about 24 hours.

PhilGood It may be just the tube. When I first got it, it was B stock but that was 2 years ago so the warranty was for just a year. I noticed a bit of this sound when I first got it, but everyone said that it was due to being a tube mic. That said, I can no longer sing softly into it without that sound coming through the vocal.

I don't have a place now to post a clip. The sound is like a flutter and the more gain I give the more the sound. At first I thought it was picking up my computer so I turned it off and went straight through the mixer. Sound still there.

If this does not work, I will take it apart and see what type tube is used and try to find a replacement.

Until then, I'm looking into another mic just to fill in the gap. I really wanted to get one in the group buy but it looks like I'll have to use that money to get one now and wait until the next buy. It might be good to hear what others are saying about the ACM1200 in comparison to the 6802 anyway.

Thanks for the input guys.

Hmmmm...

For that kind of sound to increase over time it must be that either the tube is going bad or that the diaphragm is dirty or has some condensation buildup. See if you can get just a standard 12AX7 tube (or the like, 12AT7, 12AY7, 12AV7, 12AU7) and see if the noise goes away. It could be a leaky capacitor or some buildup on the circuit board, but that is unlikely, unless there's been some smoking during sessions.

Let us know.

When my tube mic started making an unwanted noise, the solution for me was to remove the tube, very carefully clean the contacts on the tube with WD-40, put the tube back in and the problem was solved.

Charlie

When my tube mic started making an unwanted noise, the solution for me was to remove the tube, very carefully clean the contacts on the tube with WD-40, put the tube back in and the problem was solved.

Charlie

I'm pretty sure this was the same problem that I was having a while back with my Rode K2... I tried this cleaning that Charlie described, hoping it would work, but I ended up putting the stock tube back in it... I had swapped the stock tube out with a NOS Telefunken when I first bought it... If the cleaning don't work, you might try another tube if you have one..

Randy

Charlie

I'd suggest using an non-residual electrical contact cleaner rather than WD-40, which is formulated to leave an oily film.

Paj
8^)

Thanks guys for the help.

I just tried it out after leaving it in front of a 60w light bulb for about 18 hours or so and still the sound is there.

I think it is the tube, but I'll try to take it apart and clean the tube contacts as suggested and maybe try to find another tube.

Any ideas for a good cheap place to buy a tube?

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

Just opened the mic up for the first time. Cannot see any build up or residue on capsule. Tube looks OK. Took it out and will clean it after I get something to clean it.

No indication of tube type though.

Will keep you posted.

Went to Radio Shack and got a cleaner for electronics. Cleaned the tube contacts, tried it again, but still the noise is there. The tube lights, but will have to try another tube later.

Until then I'll just have to get a backup mic in case this happens again. These little projects need to sound good with soft vocals so the mic must be very quiet.

At first I thought maybe it was there all along and that the gain was open too much, but after going back through my last project with very soft passages, I don't hear that sound.

Will try a tube maybe next week.

Until then, I'm going to go with a new B1 or V67G as a backup mic. Next group buy I'll be better equipped to make a choice and won't be pushed into it.

Any other input would be welcome.

Oh I will talk with PMI on Monday and get their input. I really like the sound of this mic on my voice. So maybe they can give me an idea of which is the best way.

Thanks again for the help.

I'd suggest using an non-residual electrical contact cleaner rather than WD-40, which is formulated to leave an oily film.
i'm SO glad to see someone point this out. :D

WD-40 is NOT a cleaner! it's an OIL. don't let it get anywhere near your tubes, pots, amps, anything--it can make the problem worse. get some Caig Deoxit--that stuff works great.

try a different tube. just go to your local guitar shop and buy a new 12ax7--they'll have em. what brand doesn't matter at the moment. it will run you $10-15 or so.

swapping the tube is a whole lot faster and cheaper than (and preferable to!) buying a new mic......of course......that's assuming you're not just looking for an excuse to buy a new mic. ;)

cheers,
wade

It's Working

You guys really helped. I know it sounds silly but just having a bit of support helped me change the tube and voilà, no more noise and it sounds better now than when I first got it.

I went into the local Sam Ash right after church, gave the guy the number you, Wade, recommended and he even told me that if it didn't fix the problem he would take the tube back and apply it to the other mic I was getting as a backup.

Came home and opened it up again, changed out the tube and it sounds so much warmer and really picks up more the the nice lower frequencies that my voice has.

This has been a great learning experience. I'm not afraid to replace tubes and I will be getting another mic just for backup.

FYI, the guy at Sam Ash had 2 tubes one was $10 and the other was $17.99. The $17.99 was a Gold Series Groove Tubes GT-12AX7C and since I remembered people using this brand I went for it. He also was helpful in asking what kind of sound I wanted from the tube.

Anyway, I now understand more how tubes can effect sound. Still learning but at least I can use the extra money to stay in this GB.

Thanks again everyone!

Earl

Try More Tubes!

Hi Earl,
If you really want a sound with higher head room and expanded high end try a 12ay7 (6072) - get a new EH or an old rca or sylvania off the bay. These are just great tubes for microphones and they will give your mic a swappable alternate sound which is very useful.
Good Luck,

Back