Guitar Tuning In The Studio

"the importance of guitar tuning" - I'm pretty sure that's important for ANY type of music ... maybe that's just me, though ... :eek:

Hi Darren,
This is good information to place importance on, but maybe you'd consider setting targets in your script?
Maybe you write it out and work out that you've got 8 points, then focus on stripping your script down to aim for, say, no less than 20 seconds per point?
Then you could use some sort of title cards or animation to break the thing up.

Doing this will help tone of voice too. People settle into a tone and a pattern which, believe me, rarely gets more interesting as it goes.
If you physically stop recording after each segment and start again, you're coming into it with fresh interest and excitement...see?

I mean, those are just quick rough examples but it's very difficult to appeal to an audience with 6 or 7 minutes of straight talking.

Even if the info's gold, your audience won't stay in my opinion.

I actually went throught the video twice, just to make sure I didn't miss it....you don't really say anything much about actual tuning proceedures/techniques.....you mostly just talk about how it's good to be in tune...for 6+ minutes! :D

Like DUH!.....of course guitars (and everything else) need to be in tune! :p

Narration is still WAY too low compared to your intro music. It just comes off as poor audio mixing, which is kinda' funny seeing you're an audio guy talking about audio recording/mixing and whatnot.

"the importance of guitar tuning" - I'm pretty sure that's important for ANY type of music ... maybe that's just me, though ... :eek:

That's exactly what came to my mind when I read it. And not only the guitar... I would say that it is valid for ANY instrument.

:D

I'm going to make a video about guitar playing. I won't tell you anything about actual playing, I'll just emphasize over and over how important it is to play good. Otherwise it will sound bad.
Then I'l pull out my cool guitar and tell you how you need to have this kind of guitar to do it right - or any guitar will do if you don't have one.
It will be shot in my bathroom because you get cool echo in the bathroom and I just had it remodelled recently and the tile looks awesome.

I'm going to make a video about guitar playing. I won't tell you anything about actual playing, I'll just emphasize over and over how important it is to play good. Otherwise it will sound bad.
Then I'l pull out my cool guitar and tell you how you need to have this kind of guitar to do it right - or any guitar will do if you don't have one.
It will be shot in my bathroom because you get cool echo in the bathroom and I just had it remodelled recently and the tile looks awesome.

I can hardly hold in my excitement, waiting for your vid!

These guys want hits on their videos. Nothing else. They care nothing about the community here at all or they would've taken the time to read past posts and realized that their videos weren't needed, or wanted
I don't want to pile on since the point(s) has been made by a few people. But I have to agree with this statement.

Being in tune is a feel thing?
Jenk, the vid isn't too flash.
The intro music is awful & too loud.
Your speaking voice is too quiet without h/phones and you're too monotone to hold interest.
To communicate passion doesn't require hyperbole but modulation is needed to convince folk of your vague interest in the topic.
Pitching pitch at a specific genre is pretty weird too.
C'mon, give Sid Ahknee a better boost.

lol... So tuning is important? I wondered why my playing sounds shite...:laughings:

That and I need to get a seven string because they are thick...:)

I'm in. I want to see the tiles. Got to be more exciting than the OP video...I'm glad this wasn't posted in Newbs, it wouldn't be as much fun...:D

Had a psych prof that used to tell us that all humor was at someone else' expense, and therefor cruel. He said he didn't have a lot of room for smart-axxes. Told him it was better to be the smart-axx than the dumb xhit.

That was a long time ago, but I do have to agree. I've never seen a joke that didn't belittle someone or something or some group...so to any that I've offended with my "humor", well, sorry. It's not my intent to offend, just to laugh.... :D

LOL. You lot are so unkind. :D

Yeah poor old Jenk got pretty badly hammered. It might be just a cultural thing, so it's not really his fault, aussies have a pretty good rep for mumbling away almost unintelligibly about nothing much for ages. I had no trouble understanding him. Repetition is a common theme in australian conversational english too.

But Jenk, you said if my guitar is out of tune it'll make the song sound sick. Don't you mean sick maaaaate!? Well i'm gunna go put my 43 string uber-longscale bass out of tune and play some filthy wicked sick riffs and try and start a dommo with the neighbours. ;)

Back