Guitar Rig 4 a suitable allternative to owning a crappy amp?

phriq

Freon Productions
Hey All,

I was just curious if anyone uses or has used guitar rig 4 for recording purposes. I have a fairly crappy Crate 1x12 (50 watt I think) amp (sorry for the vagueness, can't remember the specific model as I am not at my house).

I am not a fan of the tone I get from the amp and was curious if Guitar Rig 4 is a suitable alternative than going out and spending a grand on a new amp head and case. Has anyone used this for recording? Do you have any samples? Is this a feesable option or should I avoid it like the plague?

If it's not good for recording, then what functions would you even use software like this for?

Listen to some of GregL's recordings. He uses Guitar Rig (don't know if it's 4 or not). His guitars always sound great.

You've already made up your mind, or else you would at least be entertaining the idea of spending $400 on an amp. So just get Guitar Rig. Seems pointless to argue between buying new software Vs an amp you already own and don't like.

You've already made up your mind, or else you would at least be entertaining the idea of spending $400 on an amp. So just get Guitar Rig. Seems pointless to argue between buying new software Vs an amp you already own and don't like.

Yes and no, I would not be opposed to getting a new amp. But the amp I want is $2000 for the head alone (or that price if I would go with the 2x12 combo):

Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce® Head

So, for a cheaper price, Guitar Rig 4 may be a good alternative and more versitile as I do have a pretty limited source of funds. But if it is a waste, then I would have to spit up the cash on a new amp.

I use GR4 in combination with real amps, and I bet 100% of the people in here and elsewhere can't tell the difference.

Get it.

I use GR4 in combination with real amps, and I bet 100% of the people in here and elsewhere can't tell the difference.

Get it.

Would you be able to elaborate some on how you use it in combination? Some techniques, half guitars through cab others through Guitar Rig? Or even if you have some of your tracks that you have done both if you could fill me in on how you recorded them in combination I would be very appreciative. Thanks Greg.

Listen to some of GregL's recordings. He uses Guitar Rig (don't know if it's 4 or not). His guitars always sound great.

beat me to it.
Greg is the reference I use for people who think you can't get a good sound out of modeling software. I consider my ears to be good and I can't tell which tracks he uses a real amp and which ones he doesn't.
I'm actually in the process of setting up a spare computer to do nothing but run Guitar Rig ..... sort of a super-POD.
If you have any doubts, as Rami said, go check out teh gergs' recordings and all hesitation will be gone.

Would you be able to elaborate some on how you use it in combination? Some techniques, half guitars through cab others through Guitar Rig? Or even if you have some of your tracks that you have done both if you could fill me in on how you recorded them in combination I would be very appreciative. Thanks Greg.

I might do one track through a real amp, and one through GR4. Sometimes I layer them. Sometimes I pan them away from eachother. It just depends on what I want to do. Sometimes it's all real amps, sometimes it's all GR4. I don't own any amps. I just use my bandmates amps, and they have a shitpile of awesome stuff. If I feel like using them, I can, and do. Sometimes I'll record a track with GR4 and like it so much I don't wanna redo it through a real amp. Like I said, it just depends. The software is very flexible and you can do a billion things with it.

Listen to the songs on my reverbnation page in my sig and tell me which guitar tracks are real, and which aren't. Hell, I might not even remember myself, but try it.

And while you're down there in my sig, buy an album. :D

That's because you are an expert at making a real amp sound like digital software.

Yes and no, I would not be opposed to getting a new amp. But the amp I want is $2000 for the head alone (or that price if I would go with the 2x12 combo):

Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce® Head

So, for a cheaper price, Guitar Rig 4 may be a good alternative and more versitile as I do have a pretty limited source of funds. But if it is a waste, then I would have to spit up the cash on a new amp.

I had that amp, and wasn't too impressed with the gain channels. I thought the clean was money. I wound up trading it in for a Fender Supersonic.

Modelers work great, though. Unless you love amps and want one, there's no reason at all you can't use modeling to get you across the finish line. Plenty of great examples abound.

That's because you are an expert at making a real amp sound like digital software.

I sense a challenge. Let's cue to the aftermath:

"I couldn't tell it was a modeler because of the lossy MP3" or "I was listening on crappy speakers" or "with all the post processing I can't hear the track well enough".

Get it.

Ditto.

I find GR4 (along with a little POD XT, occasionally) to be invaluable studio tools when it comes to amp modeling.

To me it's kind of a no brainer. You are pretty much getting several amps for less than the price of one mediocre one... you aren't stuck with "American tone" or "British tone", etc...

If you really would prefer an amp over modeling, check out the Egnator Tweaker series... while still a tube amp, it allows for quick changes over a wide field of tone, and for a very reasonable price!

I sense a challenge. Let's cue to the aftermath:

"I couldn't tell it was a modeler because of the lossy MP3" or "I was listening on crappy speakers" or "with all the post processing I can't hear the track well enough".

I'll post just the guitar tracks.

Yeah, there are a few people here who generally aren't idiots, but are idiotic enough to claim their ears can tell anything from anything else. And if they can't, then they resort to those types of lame excuses. I've witnessed it. They're the same people who seem to know what they're talking about when you read their posts. But then you listen to their mixes and realize that they're just good at "sounding" like experts.

No, I will not name names. :D

I guess I'm confused why you would want a 50-150watt amp for recording? I'm not an expert, but that just seems extreme. Yeah, if you like it go for it. I used to say "fuck that" but now, not so much. Go for it if that's what you want. But, i'd say try a lower wattage amp instead too. Try a tweaker, or an ac15, or something. Just a thought man.

Hey All,

I was just curious if anyone uses or has used guitar rig 4 for recording purposes. I have a fairly crappy Crate 1x12 (50 watt I think) amp (sorry for the vagueness, can't remember the specific model as I am not at my house).

I am not a fan of the tone I get from the amp and was curious if Guitar Rig 4 is a suitable alternative than going out and spending a grand on a new amp head and case. Has anyone used this for recording? Do you have any samples? Is this a feesable option or should I avoid it like the plague?

If it's not good for recording, then what functions would you even use software like this for?

Anyone dismissing the current generation of amp sim software has a vested interest. They probably run a pro or hobby studio for financial gain and feel threatened by the authenticity, versatility and time saving ability of these simulators.

I recently started using the Mesa models ( usually a Marshall fan ) in my GR4 and to my ears they sound better than the studio recorded Mesa my band did a couple of years ago.

Amplitube 3 is is good but I think that they added too much overall presence and top end sizzle as a design choice, as if they were shooting for a modern day mastered sound straight out the box. This introduces listener fatigue very early. Sizzle = ouch.

If you are looping your recorded dry guitar signal and tweaking the settings in GR4 you will soon develop a very good ear for finding your sound. :)

With the money you save you can buy better monitors and room treatment ...heck, even a new guitar.

I guess I'm confused why you would want a 50-150watt amp for recording? I'm not an expert, but that just seems extreme.
You can record killer tracks with little Pig Nose amps or even the clip-on battery powered practice toys. It all depends on what you're trying to do.

I've got one amp I love, 3 amps that are kinda' crap, one amp that's total crap, the above mentioned battery powered guy, and a modeler. In order of use, I'd say:

1. Amp I love
2. Modeler with the cab sim turned off played through the amp I love
3. Modeler
4. Battery powered practice toy
5. Amps I don't really like
6. Cord directly from the guitar to the recording preamp with the gain clipped to hell

I keep all roads open when searching for the sound I need.

Back