Got my LP

gibs

Wine red Standard arrived today.......I dunno....I must be the luckiest SOB around, the thing is perfect ........after lots of looking, playing, researching, I decided to go new and got a great price as well......

Set up so fine....finish excellent....sound completely awesome.....have fallen in love with the neck pup........

No buzzing....no sharp frets.......sweet low action.........grovers stay in tune.......even the freaking G string stays in......came with 9's.....which I didn't think would work, really, seems logical that a heavy git should have heavy strings, but they work out just fine for now....might change em later though, unless I get used to the butter of 'em.......

Despite gripes I've heard here and other places, the quality control on this new beast is great, and I went over it with a fine tooth comb....maybe the company actually listened to the gripes....:D ...........

Not as heavy as my freakoid Tele, but definately heavier than my Strat, duh.....kinda comfy heavy.......

After all these years I finally have one......happy me......

Now, of course, in the back of my mind is that '57 goldtop re-issue I messed with last month............different pups...different look........somebody stop me .........this les paul thing is addictive......................................................gibs

kewl man, bet yer gonna have a lotta fun with that,,,,,,,if i got a new one i'd probably play it in bed, in the dark until i fell asleep with it in my hands lol.

I spent the first couple hours just looking at mine from different angles!
Then I played it. A week later I actualy played it without the surgical gloves!

Enjoy! ;)

congrats!

I take it you paid around $2K for it with the case? That seems to be the best current sale price; I have my eyes on one too.

tell me though, did you buy a guitar that you haven't played? if so, the store must have had a solid return policy for you to take that gamble. I'm wondering if should do the same, which is why I ask.

Two grand, for a Standard? Mine was $1600, but that was in 1997... sigh. Wish I still had it.

pchorman, I did indeed do the unthinkable, I bought it on the internet.......however the reputation of the place I bought it from is impeccable, and you can email them or call within 72 hours after you get it if you think it sucks and send it back....for me, that was insurance.....

My total cost was $1404......that includes shipping UPS ground....and yes it came with a real case with the plush guts and the satin thingy........case made in Canada, hard, brown naugahyde/like, but it says in bold logo on the outside GIBSON USA, lol........

I bought it from and am very pleased with:

www.aplusguitars.com

Whether or not you should do the same is not for me to say....like I said, I'm a lucky SOB......

The bursts are a bit more expensive....but plain top bursts on a Standard ain't my thang anyway....flames would be cool though. ...but they have the ebony color Standard....and they have some re-issues, Classics, Studios, Customs etc......you have to click "for more info" to email a request for prices......

Best prices I've run into anywhere for new stuff........"used" on the internet is ALWAYS iffy, and I almost got a Custom off ebay, but decided against it.........I'm a wuss................gibs

(guitar price was $1379.....your shipping costs will of course vary....but to Texas it was $25......gibs)

gibs said:
(guitar price was $1379.....your shipping costs will of course vary....but to Texas it was $25......gibs)

Mine was honeyburst... I'm not sure what the price difference is between the bursts and the solids, but I'd call $1379 a hell of a deal!

gibs, you did really well. I'm impressed. will definetely look that link over with serious consideration. I was close to laying down 2 grand for the same item. how can it be so much cheaper here? did you have to negotiate or did they email you back with that price?

BTW, this is the first place I've seen that will list the mesa/boogie amplifier prices (under the weekly specials). For reasons I could never explain, this is forbidden by the manufacturer, and is especially silly considering that discounts are always disallowed. so what's there to hide? I suppose they can get away with that until their cover is blown.

Last edited:
pchorman, nope, no negotiation, just an email quote.....you have to use their 800 number to order and they will verify the price again........the coolest thing is, when I ordered, (you get a live human!) I requested the darkest wine red they had in stock, and damned if I didn't get almost an oxblood, which is exactly what I had in mind.....but keep in mind they don't have unlimited quantities, so yer mileage might vary.......

I think they might have a special deal with mesa/boogie....I dunno.....sam's ass, musician's foe, guitar sphincter and others have periodic deals with brand names on specials sometimes too....maybe it's because it's limited by the "weekly" thing and off the main page............

I hope you have the great luck I had....I'm pretty impressed by the place....not to mention the guitar........gibs

i had a les paul a few years ago...sold it for 250 bucks....got tired of that heavy sumbitch cutting off the circulation to my right arm. les pauls are pretty guitars for sure, but gibson has them way over priced (along with all their other models). i can't see shelling out 2 grand for ANY guitar. IMO fender is the way to go...alot of quality for the price

pchorman said:
BTW, this is the first place I've seen that will list the mesa/boogie amplifier prices (under the weekly specials). For reasons I could never explain, this is forbidden by the manufacturer, and is especially silly considering that discounts are always disallowed. so what's there to hide? I suppose they can get away with that until their cover is blown.

It might make a difference that they were advertising discontinued models.

they emailed me back today with an almost suspiciously low price on another LP type. I wonder how they manage this, and how they easily beat the giant music store prices by so many hundreds of dollars. almost too good to be true.

Hey gibs, I didn't see this until today! Congrats man!

I've always liked the wine red standard.

I know you haven't put it down yet, but be very careful - if you don't stop touching it, your hibiscus will become extremely jealous.

I'm with BBB, let's see this sweetie.

Brad

Best I can do, my cam is totally busted, gotta get a new one...this is off the site I bought it from.....mine is way darker red....last week there was a better picture of another one, but they must be running out...........must get camera.....this pic doesn't do mine justice at all........the binding and pickguard look too white on this pic also.......gibs

lpstandwr.jpg

Back