got a new axe, what do you suggest now?

Good luck!!

postalblue said:
oh, i see. well, we should see what happens soon. i'll change the pickups, and let you guys know what my results are. the worst thing that can happen is i'll have a pair of pickups to spare. if i decide to keep the stock pu's, i might do a little customizing, like putting in some push pots, then coil-tapping and/or paralel linking the humbuckers.

Let us know what happens...

Well..

postalblue said:
the pics got a little messed because i compressed an already compressed pic, i also have an yamaha nylon string, and an yamaha sdgr bass, but here's a last pic, of my beloved ric:

With that tele and Ric I am not sure why you would ever want to play the Ibanez....

well, actually i do play the ibanez quite a bit. it's my favourite when i want to play unplugged for obvious reasons, and its action is quite comfortable too.
of course my ric is my favourite guitar ever, but the others are nice too, and great to have around for different flavours. that tele actually has even lower action than my 360. the ibanez is pretty to look at too. it has some finish flaws, but it's pretty nice overall.

freshmattyp said:
I personally noticed a difference between my old Clipper, with no soundpost, and the new Anniversary with a soundpost.

And what, exactly, makes you think it is the "soundpost" that makes the difference? There is enough other differences between the two guitars, I don't think I would assume it was any one thing.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Aside from 40+ years of age and a poly finish on the new one, they are remarkable similar:

Same body size and depth
Same P/U in the neck position - Yes, I replaced the one that came with it for an alnico filtertron
Identical bracing, except for the soundpost - Yes, I did look inside with a mirror and a flashlight
Same tailpiece and bridge - different wood for the base
The Clipper had a rosewood fingerboard, The Anni has ebony.

I'm not a luthier; I'm merely trying pass along something helpful from another site where issues like this get discussed more frequently than they do here. My opinion is my own, and is backed up by my personal experience. Take it or leave it. You and I seem to be the only ones talking about soundposts anyway.

so i did it...

got a small package in the mail yesterday, and now the retrotons are on my artcore. i actually managed to screw up a couple steps of the process, being my debut as a guitar wiring tweaker, like letting the file slip and scratching the guitar top when i was enlarging the pu cavity. the pickup ring doesn't align well with the existing holes either so it wasn't a perfect fit. i cut out a black mouse pad to put under the ring, but still it doesn't really look very professional. i'll work on that later.

anyway, it works. and works very well. the guitar is a lot closer to what i like now. more treble. plenty of twang. lots of bass too, if you want that. overall i'm happy with the results. it does sound better plugged in than unplugged now, which wasn't true earlier. with the original pu's, i never played it straight to the amp, i always felt the need to use effects to make it sound more like i want it to. now it's very nice to play with or without effects. having never played a gretsch, i don't know if the pickups sound like filtertrons, but they do sound pretty nice.

i'll post pics later, and see if i can get a sound sample online so you guys can hear it with the new pu's. too bad i didn't record it with the old ones, but most who are reading this already know what an artcore sounds like anyway.

btw, i didn't know the bridge isn't glued in place in this model. and i have to question why the hell is that. the bridge does have adjustable saddles after all?!

now that i've lost my virginity, i should get a couple of push-pull pots to be able to use the coil-tapping options my new pickup's offer. which is not possible with the original ibanez pickup's, unless you uncover it, which is risky, as coil windings are kind of fragile.

or maybe i should find out how gretsch wires their country gentleman, and see how close i can get my ibanez to sound like a gretsch? yes, i know it sounds kinda stupid, but this is my tweaker guitar, so i'll just indulge myself and get a little silly with it.

how do you know whether or not you can add a coil split to a pickup? is there anything i should look for, or can anyone tell me if you can split ibanez infinity pickups?

don't know about ibanez infinity, but a humbucker must have different wires for start and finish of each coil so you can wire them separately. in some humbuckers, like those in the ibanez artcore, the end of the first coil is soldered to the start of the second coil so if you want to coil split them, you'll have to open up the pickup, and add a wire in to you can wire it as a single coil. i think that's it.

the pickup i bought has the following wires: green (hot), red and while (if untapped, wire them together and isolate), black/shield (ground). the ibanez pickups have only hot and ground.

i know this thread a little old but i jut got an AFS75T
artcore and i LOVE the feedback i can get with my blues jr.

the feedback with the tremolo can make for some AWESOME sounds. this is with no pedals and just the reverb on about 2.

its a very cool guitar without the feedback too:)

Actually the interior block on those guitars couple the front and back to the same piece of wood. They are technically semi-hollow.

Back