Good Overhead Mics?

Guitar4life0000

I currently own a couple CAD CM217's, but I feel that I could do better in the overhead department.

I was considering getting the MXL 993 Stereo Pair, but I've heard some bad things about them, but I've also heard some great things about them.

I'm on a relatively cheap budget, so please no more than $300 or so! Thanks!

Well For maybe about 450-500 on ebay you can probably find two Rode NT1000s which I think work great as overheads, I got one of mine on ebay for $225 and can't complain even if I wanted to, its also an incredibly versatile mic, works great on acoustic guitar and even vocals.
-Barrett

2 Shure SM81s used. You can find them for under $400 regularly on Craiglist and elsewhere. Very good for drum overheads & acoustic guitar. High frequecies are not hyped on the SM81 like most SDC's out there today.

2 Shure SM81s used. You can find them for under $400 regularly on Craiglist and elsewhere. Very good for drum overheads & acoustic guitar. High frequecies are not hyped on the SM81 like most SDC's out there today.
I don't record drums really, but I can pipe in on the SM81s -- market price seems around $200 used for one in really good condition (hence $400 for the pair), and you don't need to buy them as a pair, since they all match frequency response really well -- this means you can find two good deals on single mics and have a well matched pair when you're done, and this is not true of many other SDCs in the same price range. I have a couple that I got from different places for less than $150 each which are really beat up looking, but work and match just fine.

I got a set of Samson C02's after a number of guys recommended them to me and I really like them on overheads. They can also sound pretty nice on acoustic guitar and they have great off-axis rejection. I actually like them a lot more than AKG C1000 S.

Back