Good films?

I like action films and thought it might be good! Looks like its trying to be like District 9.

not similar to D9 much in truth

It starts well, and i understand that it has to focus on a smaller group for character building and budget constraints...but its really just 5 or 6 main actors throughout the whole thing and too many "marines never retreat" speeches to make it anything more than a decent B movie...much as i hate Will Smith, and I appreciate Battle was at least trying to be semi serious, I cant help thinking Independence day was the better movie....

Can you enjoy a film simply because its a film and its entertaining or can you enjoy a film if it makes an interesting point about life?

I'd be good with either!

Oh, and a movie I just finished watching which I thought was pretty amazing was Dance of the Dead. It's awesome if you're into zombie-comedy!

Paul.

very good

some pretty funny moments but even the not so funny moments arent irritating

Just saw "Into the Wild" last night. Wouldn't have been my choice at all, but it's what wifey had put on the Netflix list, so it's what we had in the house. Gotta say I was surprised. Very gritty, and shot in a real raw sort of way. And a wonderfully non-Hollywood ending. (Course it's a true story). If you don't mind a movie that weighs on you for a while, I'd recommend it.

its a great film, i really enjoyed it when it came out....Jon Krakauer also wrote a book on the history of Mormonism called Under the Banner of Heaven which is an excellent read..

Paul.

very good

some pretty funny moments but even the not so funny moments arent irritating

Saw this on Friday. Very funny, especially when the film bubbled up and melted halfway through the showing yet somehow managed to recover within seconds and keep on playing. I'd never seen film bubble up at the movies in real life before until then.

I enjoyed the alien and star wars references. Especially the Star Wars cantina music being played hoedown style in a bar. My housemates found that music pretty funny too being that they are forced to spend roughly an hour a day listening to it for reasons I am not going to go into (it's a good reason...honest).

Saw this on Friday. Very funny, especially when the film bubbled up and melted halfway through the showing yet somehow managed to recover within seconds and keep on playing. I'd never seen film bubble up at the movies in real life before until then.

I enjoyed the alien and star wars references. Especially the Star Wars cantina music being played hoedown style in a bar. My housemates found that music pretty funny too being that they are forced to spend roughly an hour a day listening to it for reasons I am not going to go into (it's a good reason...honest).

wtf? the film we watched was faulty too..at the end of the show they refunded our tickets lol

I liked the sly sci fi references and enjoyed them living up to English and nerd stereotypes, they do it well...plus it began in my new home town..i might go to comic con this year :)

Ive met Nick Frost a few times..one of his friends was an assistant manager for me...very shy bloke, but nice..that was back in his "Spaced" days..im sure he's less shy now

The film bubbling reference reminded of 2 shit your pants laughing films. Low budget, early films by the team that went on to do Airplane. The first is Kentucky Fried Movie, and then it's sequel Amazon Women on the Moon. Amazing little films. Kentucky Fried Movie is essentially a going to the movies experience with trailers and ads before the feature, a 20 minute feature, then more ads and trailers. Amazon Women simulates watching a low budget 50's sci-fi movie on late night early cable where the film actually plays as you watch. And it keeps screwing up, most of the movie is the stuff they put on while the tech is fixing the film, which then comes back clearly much further ahead than it left off.

I can't see the comparison at all. :confused:

Oh wait, yeah! They both have aliens in! By that extension District 9 was trying to be Independance Day with it giant mothership hovering overhead. :laughings:

They are both about an alienj invasion on a major city and the struggle of the people to cope with that. Are they not similar at all? :P

They are both about an alienj invasion on a major city and the struggle of the people to cope with that. Are they not similar at all? :P

In a word, no.

District 9 is not about alien invasion. Technically it's actually a movie about aparthied. The alien ship broke down. They didn't want to be there. There want to go home, but the authorities won't really let them, they just want to contain them and keep them separated from people because the populace are afraid and the streets are getting violent. So they end up in scummy shantytown refugee districts akin to those actually in SA, where they eventually get evicted with a plan to be moved to something akin to a concentration camp. The protagonist is a human in charge of part of the relocation/eviction effort, who becomes infected and starts to turn in to one of them, and in doing so becoming one in a line of alien subjects of cruel inhumane tests for a multinational who are interested in his now mutant ability to use alien weapons that can only be used by those with alien DNA. Through this he develops sympathy for the aliens and helps set them free.

The film is in many cases a metaphore for a lot of real stuff that happened in SA regarding refugee disctricts in the aparthied era. The story draws comparisons to events such as the high profile attempted forced removal of the Joe Slovo informal settlement in Cape Town to temporary relocation areas in Delft, plus the attempted evictions of Abahlali baseMjondolo and evictions in the shack settlement, Chiawelo, where the film was actually shot. It also explores themes of racism and zenophobia. A considerable amount of the film is a mockumentary.

Independance Day, however, is a shlocky special FX movie about aliens invading and will smith and jeff goldblum conveniently being able to find an alien mothership with a USB port installed and saving the world with a laptop in a far fetched and retarded act of far fetched retardedness.

You should probably just watch District 9. Its a very, very good movie. A lot more intelligent, a lot more social commentary than your average dumb alien invasion movie.

Last edited:
i love going to te afternoon shows here at the theater during weekday. theyre great because no one is there.
I saw sucker punch today... i dont really know why, because it didnt look that amazing in the trailers. I just know that I saw swords, girls, and dragons so i had to go see it.
And i went to watch red riding hood with my sister the other day. and before that i went to see Paul.
With the exception of Paul, they werent that great. i dont regret watching them though

Back