Golf...Love it? Hate it? Play it? Never Played it? Will never play it?

TAE

All you have is now
At @ 58 years of age ( 3 years ago) I decided I wanted to learn how to play golf.

I now play golf...horribly...but that's gonna change.:laughings:

Growing up I had a few cousins that played but I could never justify the time or money it ate up. I was busy being a rock star and that took up enough time and money in between trying to make a living and raising my family with my "real job"

I really am starting to get a kick out of playing but just like with musical instruments there are a bazillion brands, gadgets and products that will make you "better" and that many experts each with a different spin on how to make that happen. It can become inundating and the quest for the best can take you on a long expensive journey. I'm not buying it.

I'm frugal so to date I have not gone out and bought a brand new set of clubs that are custom fit for me... I have a Craigslist / Thrift store hodge podge set that seems to work OK for now. I have a 76 year old neighbor who's been playing for 55 years. He has about a 5 handicap as opposed to my 30. We go out when we can and he's schooling me but letting me develop my own thing. Awesome dude.

After watching a few hundred videos I gravitated to this one somewhat unknown idiot savant / aspergers afflicted golfer named Moe Norman... Like playing music by ear, he played golf by heart. He also was a mathematical genius and way obsessive compulsive... I kind of get him.

Getting good will not happen without a lot of practice, but even with a ton of practice, it's a mental game and if you ain't right in the head you're going to consistently blow a shot more than you want be it a drive, a chip or a putt.

I'm working on that mental thing, owning my shots..

So I've attained my first goal of being able to give my son in law some competition...next goal is to be able to play bogey golf / 18 handicap and I am confident I'll get there...if I live long enough....:thumbs up:

What's your story on the golf?

I used to play some golf--even worse than you from the sound of it--in my 30s and 40s. I never got any good at it--only broke 100 a couple of times--but had fun every time I went out, mainly because the friends I generally played with were an entertaining lot.

Alas, arthritis means I can't really play any more--the knees are pretty well gone. However, I still take my youngest son to the driving range and try to hit a few balls with him. This'll end abruptly the day he hits a ball farther than I do!

Every time I've tried golf I just ended up frustrated and at the golf course bar within about 2 hours.
That part was fun. And the golf cart. :)
The golfing, not so much.

Been golfing a couple of times in my life (invited by friends who were really into it).
Rented clubs of course as I had none.
Actually enjoyed the fresh air, walking and the challenge of trying to hit the ball far and straight.
Putting was a nightmare.
Never connected with it though - rather play my guitar.

Every time I've tried golf I just ended up frustrated and at the golf course bar within about 2 hours.
Pretty much my experience too, Doggie. After trying to play 8 or 10 times, I decided I had enough frustration in life, and why add more when I didn't have to. So now when my friends go out and play, I just meet them at hole 19. :)

I played almost every weekend while I was in Houston; it was a customer-relations kind of activity when I was in the oilfield sales biz. My dad used to take me out to the driving range when I was a kid, 25 years ago, so I had an idea. Took 4 lessons that I won at a tournament (for coming in dead last, our whole team got vouchers) and that stepped up the game a lot. Took me from shooting in the 130s to the 90s consistently after the lessons and frequent trips to the driving range to figure out those wedges. If I have my irons and my putter I can finish a course pretty close to par. When I introduce drivers and wedges it throws me all off so I have them but don't use them often. I'm that weirdo that tees off with a 5 iron instead of a driver...:thumbs up:

The key is getting a screwdriver or bloody mary before the game and then keeping fueled up on cheap light beer that doesn't weigh you down during the round. Aiming fluid! :drunk:

my dad played it...being scottish loads of my mates played it, cheap to play back home as many of the courses are commons...Ive been to the range and a few putting greens. Its awful, just sooo boring, meaningless, like a game youd invent as a ten year old. Cant for the life of me understand why folks call it a sport. My mates used to play with a few hip flasks of single malt and a spliff or two, still didnt attract me!

Saying that Im pretty mono-sport, football, nothing else...

---------- Update ----------

used to get a load of magic mushrooms on the courses :)

I grew up playing basketball and never understood how people could like golf. It appeared to be very slow and frustrating.

I started playing scrambles in my early 40s for work - no real choice. After a year or two I started playing 9 holes a couple of times a week out of choice with some folks after work. Then I joined a golf club and started playing a lot. My only concern was the same as my bass playing: play as good as I can play, continue to improve, have fun playing, don't worry about others, and only try and control what is under my control.

I keep all of this in mind. I don't gamble on regular rounds. I don't worry about what others think. I shot in the 120 for years. Then took regular lessons and stayed in the 120s. Then I got lessons from someone else and got into the mid and low 70s over 3 years time.

I love the fresh air, the conversations, sometimes just playing solo, and the complete relaxation. I don't care about playing tounaments, don't expect to play professionally, and just care about the fresh air, the friendships, and doing my best on every shot - and letting go of the shot before the ball lands.

I play golf in the morning, work during the day, and play bass at night. Perfect!

(I play 200+ rounds per year in an area with a 7 month season.)

I recommend it highly if you have an Outlook that is compatible with the game. I recommend avoiding it if your expectations are unrealistic.

Last edited:
Very cool Dino! Yep realistic expectations..

I really dig the people you run into, there is a definite good vibe and the whole respectful / etiquette thing. I am way curious as to what changed over 3 years that got you into the 70's. For me I currently am struggling with chipping control.. I putt very well for the level I am at and for an old fart I can drive pretty far and pretty straight for the most part...

But the chipping with precision is a whole other matter...I'm improving and feel that when I can get within a few yards of where I want to be on the chipping part consistently I'll be able to break the bogie barrier.. 200 rounds per year is awesome...Pretty sure the wife would kill me ..If I get 1 game in a week I'll be a happy guy but I definitely would be up for every day if the lifestyle allowed it.

Alice Cooper got into it in getting clean and sober...It's his new drug / obsession... He tries to play 2 rounds a day and golfs over 300 days a year...he has become pretty much a scratch golfer.

Yeh, I play. Learned as a kid because Dad was mad on it. Got a pretty good swing in those days and played off 14 in my twenties. Rarely get to play these days due to other commitments and am happy to shoot mid 90's if I do play. My short game has gone to fuck...:o

I'm a 14 handicap. I learned to play in college. I would go out on the days when nobody else was out there and play in the rain or a heat wave or whatever. I'd play 48 holes in a day - 18 holes in about 2 hours by myself - hitting tons of practice shots, trick shots, or whatever I felt like doing. It was a good way to learn.

I've broken 80 twice - that was 3 and 4 years ago.

My son was born almost 3 years ago so I haven't played as much since then. My low round over that span is an 84. I go to Pinehurst every year with a group.

Favorite golf courses:

Stone House - Williamsburg area. Insane slope rating, lots of blind shots. Huge greens that roll true.
Legacy - Pinehurst NC. Jack Nicolas design. ungodly awesome greens that are fast and true. not in great shape this year though. Great value.
Pine Needles - Pinehurst NC. Expensive. Immaculate. Classic. Excellent service. Immaculate greens.
Fairfax Country Club - Fairfax VA - Classic pre-1949 design. super fast greens. Not that lengthy but tight, and you gotta be able to shape shots. - A real player's course that separates the player from the hacker. You could eat off the fairways.
Las Vegas TPC - hardest course I've ever played. Awesome green grass in a rocky desert. Incredible to look at.
Stonewall Jackson - Manassas Virginia - Awesome layout along lake Manassas.

I think I've averaged 21 holes per day during our 7 month season the past couple of years. My handicap goes from 2 when feeling very healthy to upper teens when struggling with typical old guy issues (in past 6 years: back surgery, both hips replaced, elbow, wrist, etc.).

The key for me was simple: Craig Harmon. I started taking lessons from him. The first lesson, he asked me what my goals were. I told him to play and score as well as I am capable of, no more and no less. If the best I can do is shoot mid 90s, then I don't want to shot 110s and I won't expect to shoot 80s, etc. I believe that. My response resonated with him. I told him it was his job to figure out what I am capable of shooting and to get me there in whatever timeframe is appropriate. He liked that also.

I followed directions. I play a lot, though I'm not a range rat, and try and implement what he has taught me and don't care about my scores while trying to do what he is asking me to do.

Previosly, I took lessons every other week for 2 years from a local pro who is highly respected. Good time. Great workouts. Went from shooting 120s to shooting 120s. Wasn't bothering me. Wife suggested the change :-)

The details are all technical issues that are specific to each individual. Suffice it to say that after 50 lessons from a respected pro, Mr. Harmon told me that, for me, my stance was wrong, my spine angle was wrong and my grip was wrong. We went from there :-)

So, for me, the key was the right coach with a compatible outlook.

I play golf. I suppose I'm about average - I shoot in the low 90s. My best score ever is an 89.

That is likely significantly better than average. Average of all male golfers who report their scores is about 100. Speculation is that those who don't enter their scores would likely take the average higher. So, you might be something like a 17 index or so, which is not too shabby.

That is likely significantly better than average...
Yeah. The gerg lies about golf. Opposite what most people do 'cause he's the gerg. lol

I play. Not well but I have fun with it. Play with my kids, my lady, good friends...it's a social thing for me. Fresh air and friendship. Couple beers don't hurt.

I started playing golf in the seventies. I worked at a place which had a social club, and they asked if I wanted to take part in a golf day. I had never played before, so I said 'yes'. This was a game with a catch: for every tinny you drank along the way you could deduct a stroke off your score. That's actually not a good bargain in the long run.

That was only a fun day, and I wasn't very good, but I enjoyed the game, so I started playing more. Then my wife took it up. And there was a kind of Dorian Gray thing happening: I never improved, and if anything, got worse. In the meantime my wife got better and better. After a few years she ended up on a handicap of 12, while I languished with one of around 30 or something. I liked golf, but I was totally inept at it. In the end I had to concede defeat and my son inherited my clubs (and almost immediately was demonstrating his prowess).

That is likely significantly better than average. Average of all male golfers who report their scores is about 100. Speculation is that those who don't enter their scores would likely take the average higher. So, you might be something like a 17 index or so, which is not too shabby.

Yeah. The gerg lies about golf. Opposite what most people do 'cause he's the gerg. lol

I play. Not well but I have fun with it. Play with my kids, my lady, good friends...it's a social thing for me. Fresh air and friendship. Couple beers don't hurt.

Lol. I'm not lying though. I don't think shooting in the 90s is particularly good!

One thing I can do is drive the ball like a mofo. I have a lot of power and club speed without trying to swing hard. I'm an easy 1-2 clubs longer off the tee and from the fairway than most people I play with. That's a real problem when it comes to half-wedge shots. Goddamn I can't chip for shit. That's where all my scores tank. Chipping and knocking around in the trees. I can drive, hit out of the fairway, and putt pretty good, but I'll use up two or three strokes chilly-dipping around the green.

Back