Ghs Sucks!!!

> I think there are actually just a limited # of wire factories that
> supply most string companies,so wire QC shouldn't vary much
> by brand.

You're right and it usually doesn't, which is too bad as most newer strings are VERY much harder than old ones, which is ruining a lot of frets. I recently found a very old set of strings (1970s some time) and was amazed at how much harder the cores were to bend a kink into compared to the modern alloy of the same gauge.

PRS and some other makers are now coming up with stainless steel frets to counteract the problem.

Which is of course no help at all to us who have guitars with frets of the traditional "German Silver" alloys now.

I'm testing out the Elixirs 10's to see if they will be my next replacement for the boomers. I've heard some good things about them so I figured I'd give them a go.

Dick

hokypokynose said:

No man, DR. Trust me. The last forever and every guage has the metal of one guage higher so .09 feel has .10 guage sustain and beef. They are very easy on your guitar as well.

AGREE!!!! There is a set of dr's for every kinda guitar, my friend's was too bright with not enough tone so he got the full tone's (i think that's what they're called), my other friend needed a better blues sound, he didn't, but wow did the DR blues's help...I had too much lows and tone not enough metallicness, i got the highbeams,

BEAUTIFUL!!!

ernie's

tried them all but i like ernie ball .010 they kick it for me ,wifes cousin has played for like 30 years in bar bands an even cut an album he swears by ghs ,he says he sprays wd40 on them to keep them goin syas they play forever . the thing that put me over th top with ernie's was when i bought my dano dbl neck couldn't find 12 electrics anywhere local ,mars nowhere then this one hole in th wall shop that caters to band students had d'acrappio strings in elec so i snatched them up they never got in tune ,thought th guitar was intonated wrong . finally ordered some ernie's from musicians friend they got in tune an stayed there ....i know long story but i didn't have anything to do but ramble ....later

64Firebird
I was living in arlington when I was a kid,so maybe it was at your dad's drug store I was getting my strings at!We were shopping at the one in a strip center on Randol Mill Rd. about a block from Wimbish Elementary School.
Tom

I now get my strings from Scott at Kompetition Music on Lancaster St. here in FW

Tom Hicks said:
64Firebird
I was living in arlington when I was a kid,so maybe it was at your dad's drug store I was getting my strings at!We were shopping at the one in a strip center on Randol Mill Rd. about a block from Wimbish Elementary School.
Tom

I now get my strings from Scott at Kompetition Music on Lancaster St. here in FW

Naw, my Dad worked in far West Ft. Worth (White Settlement). But, I've been to Kompetition Music. They have all those Fender amps stacked up on the wall that arn't for sale (sigh).

I believe that gear is the personal collection of Stan "The Man" Watson,former owner of APE Music,and a former co-worker of mine at Swords Music on Lancaster.Scott,the owner of Kompetition,was an employee of Stan's at APE.Stan still has the late 30s Gibson ES125 I traded in during a moment of foolishness.Sure would love to buy that guitar back now...
Tom

I'd almost forgotten about Ape Music. I bought my Kramer and Laney amp there back in 84. They had that guitar that was made from a toilet seat! But they never seemed to open up on time.

Do you know what happened to Bruce at Longhorn Guitars? That's where I bought my old Bassman amp.

Bruce Sconsert and the guys at Longhorn moved to the midcities as Players Music.My buddy Mitch Cigianero,longtime head repairman at Charvel/Jackson has a luthier brother Mark working at Players.If you need any tech work done ,these are the guys to see definately.
Tom

Well duh... Players is where I had my Firebird refretted a couple of years ago. Your right, I think they do the best teck work around here.

Back