Ghs Sucks!!!

hokypokynose

I've been playing for wuite a while now, and have gone through many many packs of strings. I went to the shop a while back and asked for a set of DR 9 guage like I always get(I like to get strings long before I need them). They claimed they were out, even though I knew they keep them in the basement, and they didn't even check down there, I was too lazy to ask them to check. They convinced me to purchase GHS Boomers. It was alright, I had had them before, and aside for them only lasting 2 measly weeks each, they sounded fine.

My DRs I just had on were starting to rust so I put these GHS ones on. As I was tooning up, POP!! The 1 string broke. I have never had a set of strings that I broke one even in the first 2 weeks. But while tuning up the first time, that screamed out to me never to buy GHS again.

I feel better now.

That happens sometimes. Once, I was trying to tune the little E and it broke and the string went all the way through my finger and came out the other side! Pulling it out was even more fun.

I've been using D'Addario XLs for the last few years because most of the stores I frequent don't carry Fender XL's.. Then lo and behold, just last week my main store had some in stock.. I snatched up a set of these babies with a look towards remembering the good old days..

Damn things broke in three days..

So I go back to the store to purchase another couple packs of D'Addarios, and proceeded to string my two guitars yesterday.

I start with the Epi. I change all the strings and cut off the excess. Just as I retune the high E string the damn thing snaps. I was furious, but not half as furious as I was this morning when I decide to trek back to the music store to get another set, and find out the store is closed on Sunday. So I drive across town to realize that the mall isn't open for another two hours. Home is too far away, I'll be too busy at work all this week to make any trips to the music stores, and I have guitar tracks to work on next weekend, so it's official: I'm totally screwed, wasting two hours of my life that I'll never get back again.

I use G H S nickle rockers the real deal never a problem and their real nickle for that correct vintage tone sometimes youvan get a bad batch with any company

I've played plenty of sets of the Ghs Boomers over the past decade. Yes, a couple strings have broken while setting them up, but the vast majority I have had no problems with. I wouldn't write off a company because of one broken string. Show me a string company where it never breaks and I'll be happy to support you on this one. Not to be a Dick, that's just my experience.

Dick

I used to play GHS and was happy with 'em for years until they started unravelling at the ball-end. Thinking it was justa bad batch I bought more and had the same problem! Argh! Tried a bunch and finally settled on D'Addarios. Get a bad string or two sometimes but overall good strings with good tone. Seem to last pretty good too although when I'm gigging I change 'em every week. I like the 9.5's on my Gibsons in E-flat.

Just my $.02

Sound like you guys have a hard to time getting to the store to get some strings. I bet you pay more too. I wish I was affiliated with this site, (unfortunately not) but I get my strings here. Great service too.

http://www.stringitup.com/

Fangar

I use DR strings and lets put it this way I feel safer with the knowledge that they are on my guitars.

I've had a few strings brake almost straight away but one of the most annoying things is when you pre cut the strings (say with a floating bridge) and cut it too short so it doesn't fit and you've have to open another pack for one string.

I mean how stupid can you get, cutting the string too short before you even put the thing on (lack of consentration, watching TV etc.)

Look on the bright side: These strings are probably not ruining your frets the way the other ones are.

I'm looking for a predictably soft "vintage" string alloy that won't chew up my frets as badly as most current strings do.

Maybe GHS are the way to go.

I use GHS 10's and they've been the best strings I've ever used. Hard to break and they stay in tune. You must of had a bad batch.

I use GHS Boomers at .09 .10 and .11 depending on which guitar.I think there are actually just a limited # of wire factories that supply most string companies,so wire QC shouldn't vary much by brand.I bust strings bending occasionally,usually the little E only.But I have a fairly vigorous solo style ala SRV so I don't blame it on the wire.
Tom

I'm an older player and I remember getting my Black Diamond brand guitar strings at the local drug store when I was a kid.I think it was repackaged baling wire...
Tom

Tom Hicks said:
I'm an older player and I remember getting my Black Diamond brand guitar strings at the local drug store when I was a kid.I think it was repackaged baling wire...
Tom

I remember those too! My Dad worked in a drug store and he would bring them home for me.

Evildick said:
I've played plenty of sets of the Ghs Boomers over the past decade. Yes, a couple strings have broken while setting them up, but the vast majority I have had no problems with. I wouldn't write off a company because of one broken string. Show me a string company where it never breaks and I'll be happy to support you on this one. Not to be a Dick, that's just my experience.

Dick

Oh, I forgot to mention, this was the last straw(or string) with this company(their strings anyway). The tone is too bright, and they rust out in 2 weeks! It's like they make their strings so you NEED their fast fret product(which can extend the life about a week) but they should last longer...

bongolation said:
Maybe GHS are the way to go.

No man, DR. Trust me. The last forever and every guage has the metal of one guage higher so .09 feel has .10 guage sustain and beef. They are very easy on your guitar as well.

Back