Getting the run around....

Squashboy

I need some advice here. I don’t post very often here, but I read all the time, and I am always impressed with how knowledgeable and helpful everyone is. I have my own home set-up, and though it’s nothing too fancy, I really enjoy recording my friends and I. This last summer I recorded a project for one of my friends, a fairly simple guitar/vocals project. He was really excited about how the recording turned out, and wanted to get it professionally mastered. That is, he did until he saw how much it costs to get something mastered professionally. But I told him not to worry, the homeboys at homerecording.com would know where we could get a good deal. So, I logged on and found someone here on this site advertising some really good mastering for an amazing price, 10-12 songs for only 220 bucks (plus 20 bucks shipping). (I’m not going to say who this was just yet, we’ll call him “S”). His studio was still being put together, but it was mostly up and running. “S” was offering this deal as a kind of special deal--a favor--for homerecording buffs, just until his studio officially opened, at which point he would go back to charging a lot more for more professional clients. I contacted him through email and looked at some pictures of his studio on-line. It all seemed legit. He obviously knows a lot about mastering. So I recommended “S” to my buddy. Since he’s a poor college kid, he had to borrow the 240 from his parents. He was anxious to get it done, and it sounded like if we didn’t act now that this deal would fall through. On August 3rd, then, we sent “S” the data CD and 240 bucks.

A month went by, and we didn’t hear back from “S” (though he apparently cashed the check right away). Two months, and we started getting worried. So, I found his phone number and called him. Apparently, just after making this offer, “S” had to undergo some very serious surgery, and couldn’t get to any of his projects. He said he sent all of his clientele an email explaining the situation, but he must have forgotten to let us know. Well, okay, I thought. No problem. I mean, everyone has tough breaks once in a while. I told my friend to just be patient. “S” said he would get to our project right away.

Month three goes by and still no CD. So, I call “S” again and he says that the project is done, and he only has to mail it to us. But a week later, we still have no CD. So I call him again. He says, yes, he just mailed it that morning (express mail). Great, I think. It’s finally on its way. But three more weeks go by and we still have no CD. Mind you, this is month #4 now. So I call him again (this is last Wednesday). This time he sounds genuinely confused. “I sent that ages ago,” he said. He figures it must have gotten lost in the mail somehow. So I ask him to make another copy and to send it to me. He agrees to send me “another” one, and I hang up. On Friday I call him to follow up and he says the CD is in the mail and that I should expect it by Tuesday morning.

So today is Tuesday and I just checked the mail. No CD. So what do I do now? 240 bucks to a starving college student is a lot of money. I’m mostly disturbed that homerecording.com would be used for this kind of scam. He took 240 bucks and gave us NOTHING. We sent him the money based on a sense of trust, and it seems when that trust is violated, it doesn’t only screw us, it taints the entire homerecording.com environment. And it would seem like common courtesy, to me anyway, that some of the money be refunded, even if the job eventually gets done. Am I being unreasonable? I know “S” posts here a lot, and I don’t want to give him a bad name. But we sure would like either a Mastered CD or the money back.

What do you think?

--Squashboy

Yo Squashed Boy:

I hate to read about people getting shafted, especially on this site.

If you go into litigation, it'll cost you more than the 240 pezzutos.

I never pay "up front" unless I know it's a realiable service; even then, I might use a credit card because you can refuse to pay the credit card bill if you have not received the goods.

Hope things work out.

Green Hornet

Green Hornet, thanks for the reply. I hope it works out too. Not paying up front is a definitely good idea. But this guy seemed so reputable that I would have felt silly not trusting him. No kidding, he's a VERY regular poster on this site, and I would have thought that the risk of being slated here would have prevented this kind of bad business. Who knows, maybe the CD really is still in the mail. But 20 bucks to ship a CD should pay to get it there the NEXT day, shouldn't it?

After four months it sure feels like we're getting shafted. I've talked to my dad who is an attorney, and he may get involved.

Last edited:
So since I posted, I have gone back and read some archived stuff, and apparently, we're not the only ones who are getting stuff back a bit slow.

I guess it's no secret that "S" is Sjoko2, and the ealier thread I am referring to is "Sjoko2's mastering offer scam." As this thread shows, there are some people even more pissed off than I am, but I think it also shows Sjoko2 is at least making an effort to get this stuff done despite some serious obstacles. But here is what still confuses me, in that same thread, Sjoko2 writes:

"Over a 4 week period I did quite a number of projects, as you can imagine. After that time I had to stop, with three projects unfinished, Jacob's, David's and Larry's. Jacob's CD was finished last Saturday, David and Larry's will be finished this week. These are , by the way, the only things I am doing, full stop."

That was written November 5th. "Jacobs CD" is our project. And if it was finished clear back in early November, where is it now? I really do believe him that it was hard to finish everything he took on, but I'm SOOO confused as to why the CD isn't here.

When 's' posted to the thread that was reaming him and said he was in the hospital, a lot of people felt very stupid. However, your situation is very sketchy. It's really none of my business BUT shit like that cheapens this forum. Whats next? People giving out the wrong information on gear?

--I am going to go on KNOWING that this place is full of helpful people who display the highest amounts of integrity with their responses to our questions. Lets not let one CON MAN ruin it for everyone.

--As far as pursuing legal action for $250.00, its probably not worth it. Your gonna have to bite the bullet....

Hey "S"...... you definitely have some explaining to do. And if your in the hospital again I hope you get well soon.

:D

I guess it is possible that he sent a CD after November 5th, it got lost in the mail, and that this second CD is just a bit slow in getting here. I'm not trying to trash Sjoko2. If it is in my mailbox tomorrow, and if it is the kind of excellent mastering we would expect from him, then I will happily forgive and forget any delays. But really, we are post-anxious to get this done.

Squashboy,

you can sit here all night and trash Sjoko...we know who is the one that is full of shit.....

he's got an awesome reputation in the business and I dont know you from Adam....so does that mean youre NotGettingScrewed?....no...but I know who Im betting on.....

just calling em as I see em

Anybody could be aybody online here. People adopt all kinds of personas. I know alot of sjokos posts on this forum have been very on the money and have helped me but that doesnt mean he runs a professional business. One of the key parts of being pro is reliability (in any industry). I think squashboy has been more than patient. August 3rd was 4 months ago....the whole story sounds sketchy. If you cant do the work then you send it back with the money and a note explaining your circumstances. You dont cash the check and give people the classic runaround," it was done ages ago" " you didnt get it??" " it got lost in the mail" etc. I dont know whether he had surgery or not but the surgery claim sounds like part of a broader responsibility issue at best and at worst theres theft going on here. $240 is not chump change. You can get any of several very decent mics for that amount.

$240, to me, is a lot of money.

IMO though, the bigger issue isn't whether a certain amount of money is worth fighting for - PRINCIPLES are worth fighting for.

Hard for an outsider like me to know what's going on without hearing the other side of the story, but I wish you the best of luck.

JSP, you are correct...anybody can be anybody...but how do we know squishboy is telling the whole story?....

yeah Squishboy, you'd better explain. IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME! But seriously, why isn't Sjoko here to defend himself?

Gidge,

Its not just Squashboy. I recall reading a thread a couple of months ago with people very pissed at getting no response after sending CDs and money. (They also said that he cashed the check but wouldnt return phone calls or emails) Why would these guys fabricate stories to kill sjokos rep?? You have several people here saying sjoko has not dealt honestly with them on the one hand and sjoko giving make it up as you go along excuses on the other. I dont mean to bash him as he is a great resource on this board but I was actually gonna forward him some projects I recorded (1 was a 7 song CD) last spring and summer but I told them Id master it myself and if I couldnt get the sound where it needed to be we'd send it out. I spent alot of time with my waves plugs and cool edit and endless referencing and they were very happy with the results. But I was a hair away from sending stuff to sjoko and putting my own reputation on the line. Im lucky I didnt.

Gidge,

I'm not trying to trash Sjoko2. Like I said, maybe the CD will be in my mailbox tomorrow, in which case, hooray, I'm happy.

The only reason I decided to bring it up here is that Sjoko2 told me the CD would be here today, he PROMISED me it would be here today, and it's not. It's been four months now and I figure it's time I complained.

Honestly, I think even Sjoko2 will admit that he sort of blew it on this job. I'm not saying that he won't do wonderful business with hundreds of other clients. I'm just saying that his business with us has not been very professional. (NOTE: you'll notice I'm not trashing his superior abilities or vast knowledge, just his business practices in this particular instance). The internet is a very democratic place. Even a little nobody like me has a voice, and sometimes you have to make a fuss if you want something to happen. So, Sjoko2, if you read this, please know I think you are a brilliant musical engineer, but you've got to admit, this job didn't work out....oh, and where's my CD?

Squashboy.

Juror #V says the top 250 HR posters send Jacob a buck each, while all the rest take turns spanking "S".

Also, PLEASE get the message here. I did not start this thread intending to attack Sjoko2. In fact, I'm a little uncomfortable that it seems I have entered into an argument between Sjoko2haters and Sjoko2likers that apparently has been going on for a long time. It wasn't until I saw the other thread of November 5 called "Sjoko2's mastering offer scam" that I even mentioned his name.

So, don't use this as another reason to bash Sjoko2 (like he's always wrong), and don't try to tell me that Sjoko2 is always right. Everybody screws up once in a while. Everybody.

My only intention was to get a little advice, maybe a shoulder to cry on, and to maybe put a little pressure on him to get me the CD. Sjoko2 himself, in the very first post that started all this, in the VERY first "mastering offer" thread said: "Just thought - bet your fanny I'll do a good job - or get slated here." Now, that made sense to me. It gave me confidence to do business with him. It gave me the impression that he was willing to not only do a favor to some homerecording friends, but that he was willing to do a good enough job to preserve his rep. It implied--to me anyway--that there is a kind of accountability at work here. Now, I do recognize that Sjoko2 had some circumstances that were beyond his control, and we were patient through all of that. But now, times up.

Like I said, if the CD shows up in my mailbox tomorrow, I'll come back on and post a wonderful review of his supreme mastering abilities. I'm just asking for the most simple thing: to get what I was promised.

I have to agree with Gidge, there is a right and wrong way to do things and while I understand squashboy's concern and obvious reluctance to actually name Sjoko, I think the attempts to resolve the problem should be kept out of these forums.
Sjoko has been conspicuous by his absence lately, and I can only hope that he is OK.

Peace........ChrisO :cool:

I've been to restaurants where the food was incredible but the service was terrible. I've also been to restaurants where the food was OK but the service and the atmosphere was great. 9 times out of ten I'll go back to the place that gave me the best service. (I have no idea what this has to do with anything)

Back