General chat thread

The great thing about pork shoulder is that even if you fuck it up a little, it's still amazing. And when you do it just right, it's still amazing.
You know, this is true... It would be nice if brisket was that way, too. I have found, though, that using an apple cider vinegar mop works wonders across types of meats. I got that tip when doing a brisket once and noticed a dramatic improvement. Tried it on some pork ribs a few weeks ago and huge difference. The last pork shoulder I did without mopping, this one I did. Huge difference again. Chicken doesn't need it, the skin helps hold the moisture in, but a can of beer crammed up in the cavity doesn't hurt anything. :) Apple cider vinegar mixed with the dry rub you put on the meat, mopped every 45 minutes or so after the first hour...game changer. :thumbs up:

Oh, and Chili... I'd be interested in seeing that smoker build when you get around to it. If you lose your steam on that project then check into Klose BBQ pits in Houston; they built mine and shipped it up here for me. Sucker weighs a little over 750lbs but it's heavy gauge steel (1/2" thick fire box, 3/16" thick chamber) and it cooks meat with ease even when it's below freezing out. It'll also outlive my grandkids...maybe the great-grandkids...

Back