GearFest Mixing Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has turned

a42.jpg

No BUTTHURT or sour grapes here. Just a bit of surprise at the quality of the winning mixes...and no, I don't think mine was one of the top 16 mixes.

It really is disingenuous of pureMix to use the old "mixing is subjective" argument. Certain mixes are good regardless of what you think about the mixer's artistic choices. Yes, you do have mixes in the borderline area where it becomes subjective. But I feel confident in saying that there were 16 mixes that were undoubtably "better" than the 16 winners IMHO and I think the majority of people who have even a cursory knowledge of mixing would agree.

Sure there are times when the vibe of a mix overrides the technical aspects but I daresay that all 16 of the winners don't fall into this category.

My guess is that there are two probable reasons for the results. One is serious, the other not so much.

Number one would be that Fab and pureMix wanted to pick middle of the road mixes so that people wouldn't complain that "professionals" made the contest unfair. Number two would be that they were overwhelmed by the number of entries and picked mixes that would piss off most good mixers so they wouldn't enter the next contest LOL.

For me it was fun and a good exercise. There were plenty of issues to look at and deal with in the provided tracks. Hopefully it will improve my mixing.

Which brings me to my last point. I'm totally in agreement with davidpend when he says that beginning mixers shouldn't look to these winning mixes as examples of good mixes. This IMHO is the greatest disservice that Fab and pureMix have done. The winning mixes should have been mixes that folks can look up to and say, "Man, I wish I could mix like that!" I can honestly say that none of the winning mixes left me feeling like that while some mixes that I listened to on SoundCloud that didn't win absolutely made me feel that way.

For a company that promotes teaching how to mix it really makes me question their judgement to see the mixes that they felt were the 16 "best."

All the best...

And this is your winning mix?

Seriously? Discover humility. The contest was fair. You did not win. Neither did I. Only 16 people could win. The rules were designed to weed out those too lazy to read. It's not legalese. It's English.

You need to learn some respect dude, posting mixes from other mixers (Mine and someone elses) saying with sarcasm "this should have won?" really??? I ALREADY said in a previous post that i was not stating that I should have won... it's not legalese, IT'S ENGLISH! Honnestly dude, i'm sorry for you.

They made the rules and followed them to a T. It's the rest of us, including myself, who made unfounded assumptions. You're deluding yourself if you can't see that. Your mix did not make the cut. Live with it.

Nope.. I followed rules they didn't even dowload mine. I do remember them saying they would down load them all.. That may have changed but originally it said that. Oh we'll..

You need to learn some respect dude, posting mixes from other mixers (Mine and someone elses) saying with sarcasm "this should have won?" really??? I ALREADY said in a previous post that i was not stating that I should have won... it's not legalese, IT'S ENGLISH! Honnestly dude, i'm sorry for you.
Your file is public. Anyone can view it. As are mine and all the others. I suppose I'm just trolling now but all this whining about the rules is really pathetic. Feel sorry for me? Why? I'm perfectly happy with the results. I lost nothing and was privileged enough to mix a track and learn from the challenges. No loss on my part.

Hello

I did not win.
Please teach me ...
Did I do Breach of the rules? or My mix is not good as win ?
My mix pleay backed almost 5000times....

and I post Mastered and MIx -again ver yesterday.

Thanks

Hello

I did not win.
Please teach me ...
Did I do Breach of the rules? or My mix is not good as win ?
My mix pleay backed almost 5000times....

and I post Mastered and MIx -again ver yesterday.

Thanks
Puremix said:
If you're mix has not been listened to, it is because you were either late in your submission, or submitted several versions

Every time you submit a version whether you delete the old version or not, it is considered a submission. Multiple submissions were disqualified. This is in the rules.

あなたが古いバージョンかどうかを削除するかどうかのバージョンを提出するたびに、それが提出とみなされます。複数応募は失格とされた。

Google Translate. Please don't blame me if it doesn't make sense.

Every time you submit a version whether you delete the old version or not, it is considered a submission. Multiple submissions were disqualified. This is in the rules.

Actually it's NOT in the rules:

Mixing Contest

Terms and Conditions: GearFest Mixing Contest

1. This Mixing Contest is operated and hosted by pureMix Online LLC.
2. No purchase is necessary to enter the Contest.
3. The competition is open Worldwide.
4. The Contest is open to individuals who are not presently signed to any record label or publisher under any exclusive agreements and/or other contractual arrangements which prohibit or might prohibit them from participating in any element of this Mixing Contest. Employees of Puremix or any of the foregoing companies involved in the administration, development, and execution of this Contest and the immediate family members are not eligible to be selected as a winning entry in this Contest.
5. Mixing contest ends on June 1st 2013. The closing date for entries is June 1st 2013, 11:59pm Central European Time (CET)
6. On June 21st 2013, pureMix will pick his 16 favorite mixes, who will be awarded the following prizes in order of merit:
Prize #1 : One pair of Focal Twin6 Be speakers ($3990 value)
Prize #2 : One Presonus ADL700 ($2499 value)
Prize #3 : One Universal Audio OCTO core ($1874 value)
Prize #4 : One Dangerous Music D-Box ($1679 value)
Prize #5 : One Lauten Atlantis microphone ($1599 value)
Prize #6 : Dangerous Music Source ($1099 value)
Prize #7 : One Blue Dragonfly microphone ($999.99 value)
Prize #8 : One Vovox studio cables pack ($999 value)
Prize #9 : One Lauten Torch microphone ($999 value)
Prize #10 : One Blue Reactor microphone ($499.99 value)
Prize #11 : One Presonus Studio One Pro License ($449.95 value)
Prize #12 : One Presonus Studio One Pro License ($449.95 value)
Prize #13 : One Presonus Studio One Pro License ($449.95 value)
Prize #14 : One pureMix 1-year subscriptions ($269 value)
Prize #15 : One pureMix 1-year subscriptions ($269 value)
Prize #16 : One pureMix 1-year subscriptions ($269 value)

7. The participant must send his submission in accordance with the instructions on the SweewaterMixingContest.pdf included with the downloadable files. The Participant must upload and share his original mix exclusively on SoundCloud - Share Your Sounds including the tag GearfestPuremixContest in the title, for instance: my_mix_GearfestPuremixContest. Submissions will not be accepted by e-mail, post or other means not specified on the aforementioned document.
8. The participants represent and warrant that the mix submitted is the entrant's original work.
9. Entrants shall not be entitled to make any use of any nature of their mix embodying the Recording other than to take part in this competition as set forth herein without the express prior written consent of Liza Colby, from The Liza Colby Sound Band.
10. All rights in the Recording are reserved by The Liza Colby Sound and nothing contained herein or in the competition shall grant any rights in the Recording to an entrant or any other third party.
11. In addition all entrants agree and acknowledge that they shall only be entitled to use and/ or exploit their mix on www.soundclound.com, and only when using the tag GearfestPuremixContest in the title. Entrants warrant that they will not upload their remixes of the Recording to any websites other than the aforementioned.
12. Puremix reserves the right, with or without cause, to exclude entrants and withhold prizes for violating any of terms and conditions. Puremix reserves the right to amend these General Rules. Any amendments will be published on the website.
13. By entering and submitting a mix, all eligible entrants agree to abide by each and all of the Terms and Conditions.
14. The winners will be announced on puremix homepage on June 21st 2013, and the winners will be notified by e-mail within 30 days thereof. All reasonable endeavours will be made to contact the winners during this time, thanks to his SoundCloud - Share Your Sounds email contact. If a winner cannot be contacted before this time, Puremix reserves the right to select the entrant whose entry the judging panel consider to be next best.
15.It is the Sponsors responsability to ensure and guarantee the shipping of the prizes they offered to the winners of the contest. Puremix is not responsible for the shipping of those prizes to the winners of the contest.
16. The judges' decision is final and binding on the entrants. No correspondence will be entered into.
17. Uses of personal data received by Puremix in the course of the competition are subject to the privacy policy found on pureMix.net | Online Video Tutorials - Mixing, Recording, Mastering and Producing Music. The winners' names may be published on and pureMix.net | Online Video Tutorials - Mixing, Recording, Mastering and Producing Music websites as well as pureMix social media.
18. Puremix reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify or supersede the competition (including altering prizes) if, the competition is not capable of being conducted as specified.
19. Age restriction to enter the contest locally applies according the country the participants are located in.
20. If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck out and the remaining provisions shall be enforced.

And the instructions included with the tracks:

Dangerous Music / Sweetwater / pureMix Mixing contest
Thank you for downloading the audio stems for the Liza Colby Band’s ‘Oh Baby’ song. To win the contest you must be the one who has the best sounding mix of the song by the June 1st deadline.
The rule is that the song’s arrangement must remain the same (no additional harmonica or kazoo tracks please). If you think it absolutely necessary, advanced mixing techniques such as "drum triggering" are allowed but should remain as transparent as possible. This contest is about mixing not about producing.
Listening levels will be normalized from mix to mix, so there is no need to ‘maximize’, ‘master’ or crush your mix hoping that it will get picked because it’s louder. A nominal -18 to -16 dbFs RMS (average) level is best.
Prizes
The contest ends on June 1st 2013.
On June 21st, Fab Dupont will announce the top 16 candidates
who will be
Prize #1 : Prize #2 : Prize #3 : Prize #4 : Prize #5 : Prize #6 : Prize #7 : Prize #8 : Prize #9 : Prize #10 : Prize #11 : Prize #12 : Prize #13 : Prize #14 : Prize #15 : Prize #16 :
awarded the following prizes in order of merit:
One pair of Focal Twin6 Be speakers ($3990 value) One Presonus ADL700 ($2499 value)
One Universal Audio OCTO core ($1874 value)
One Dangerous Music D-Box ($1679 value)
One Lauten Atlantis microphone ($1599 value) Dangerous Music Source ($1099 value)
One Blue Dragonfly microphone ($999.99 value) One Vovox studio cables pack ($999 value)
One Lauten Torch microphone ($999 value)
One Blue Reactor microphone ($499.99 value)
One Presonus Studio One Pro License ($449 value) One Presonus Studio One Pro License ($449 value) One Presonus Studio One Pro License ($449 value) One pureMix 1-year subscriptions ($269 value) One pureMix 1-year subscriptions ($269 value) One pureMix 1-year subscriptions ($269 value)
How to submit your mix?
• Import the stems in your favorite DAW(Any DAW you like, tape is fine too if that is how you roll), and mix the song so it’s as good sounding as you can get it to be.
• Upload your mix on your privateS oundcloud account(It’s free). In SoundCloud advanced settings, please make sure your mix is "download enabled”.
• Include the tag GearfestPuremixContest in the title. For instance: my_mix_GearfestPuremixContest.
• Join the official GearfestMixingContestSoundCloud group. and share your mix (Add to group button).
url: https://soundcloud.com/groups/gearfest-mixing- contest
• Please include a detailed description of the gear you used in your song description (software & hardware). Also, do not hesitate to mention your artistic intentions, especially if you encountered technical restrictions. Only mixes fulfilling these requirements will be considered for the contest.
The name of the winners will be published on June 21st at:
GearFest Mixing Contest | pureMix.net
If you feel like sharing your thoughts about your mix, you can do so on the Homerecording.com official thread: https://homerecording.com/bbs/general- discussions/mix/gearfest-mixing-contest-356614/
Have a good Mix!
You seriously competitive pureMix team.
Please, do not submit your mixes directly to the artists or partners. See you on Soundcloud.
About the recording of "Oh Baby"
In case you have not seen the video of the recording yet, it is important for you to be aware of the context in which the tracks came to life. Please watch the recording session: GearFest Mixing Contest | pureMix.net
This song was recorded live on stage at Sweetwater in Fort Wayne Indiana with a rig designed to resemble the typical working conditions of a standard home-studio: everybody in the same room, no separation between sound engineer and musicians, and to spice it all up a bit, about three hundred people in the audience.
As a result, the recording is not as perfect as it could have been in more normal studio conditions. That said, the musicians' feelings are there, the quality of the instruments
shine through and the mood is perfect for the song. We have music, and solving technical problems is the point of the exercise, so let's enjoy the ride!
Last word of advice before you listen to the tracks. It is always very tempting to open up every single track to try and fix them up one by one, to get the best possible sounds separately. I will leave it up to you to decide whether it is the best option in this case.
Your mileage may vary. Have fun and good luck. I'm excited to be able to listen to all your mixes—that will give me a good reason to listen to this great song hundreds of time!
Fab Dupont
Liza Colby, by Fab Dupont
The Liza Colby Sound is the cream of the crop of New York’s Rock And Roll scene. The combination of sexy, raw and deeply honest delivery of Liza’s vocal with the tight pockets and epic guitar riffs makes for a great show and they have been packing NYC rooms steadily for a couple years now.
What you hear is what you get, no tricks, no electronics, just 4 human beings setting the room on fire.
More of Liza here:
The Liza Colby Sound |

In addition, T-Guitar specifically asked pureMix if it was OK to resubmit mixes and was told that it was as long as only one mix was on the site at the contest close:

I asked Puremix and as long as there is only one post on the site your OK. You can change as long as there is only one mix left.

Not that any of this really matters...it's over and done with. Folks need to move on...

Quite surprised to the results. I know this is a little bit rude but: winning mix have way too much kick, too much low end, vocals are drowned (very bad mistake) and mix falls to the left side. Dynamics are also bad in last chorus (no rising etc..). There were LOTS of better mixes and this is not matter of taste.

When all is said and done....its all said and done.
Farewell good folks, time now to wander on and see if there are other places on this site to communicate about sound and sound engineering. Good Luck in your endeavours everyone!

When all is said and done....its all said and done.
Farewell good folks, time now to wander on and see if there are other places on this site to communicate about sound and sound engineering. Good Luck in your endeavours everyone!

Welcome to the rest of HomeRecording.com. :) Feel free to join the conversations already in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back