GearFest Mixing Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Nice mix. As to tearing it apart, that would not be constructive and according to the rules, I think the judges will be doing a lot of tearing to us all.:)
Speaking of the rules, may I suggest that you re-visit them especially about how to submit and where. I can understand your being hyped. I think we are all pretty hyped. This is an awesome project. I just want to make sure no one gets excluded due to any misunderstanding of the rules.
Best of luck to you and all!!
Tom

@Manslick
That's artistry. Where does the mastering process start and ends? :-) you know...
If you feel like your track will benefit from 2-bus processing go ahead. How it sounds in the end is all that matters.

I’ve done “mixing” contests before. The first one I was dumb enough to think everyone was simply mixing the tracks. Then to find out some guys turned acoustic guitars into metal with plugins. I was like wtf? They called it mastering. To me it was production. So I just wonder what will get me kicked off the contest. You know? :)

Hola amigos la verdad que no si aqui hable alguien español, esoty aqui por el GearFest Mixing Contest de pureMix y
pues quiero comentar que la experiencia de mesclar esta sesion bajo la direccion de Fab ha sido como traer un sueño
a mi studio la verdad que ha sido muy dificil encontrar la pegao mescla perfecta pero ojala les guste a los jueces jejeje
un saludos desde Ecuador y suerte a todos los participantes

my MIX

Please check out my mix, let me know what you think.

I posted my thoughts about the recording and a bit about my mix process/approach to the track. This mix was summed through a Folcrom then Mp2NV then EQ2NV.

Cheers!

Very cool contest! The servers have cooled down now, so I got the tracks no problem after not being able to get them at all the first few days.

One thing I can't decide - do I listen to other people's mixes, or not?? The type of mixing I do everyday is for commercials and imaging pieces - not for songs. So on one hand, I want to hear what others are doing so I know how far I can go, but on the other hand, I don't want to be influenced by or try to emulate what someone else is doing...

I have listened to a few of the bands tracks on their site, though, so I at least have some place to start sound-wise.

One thing I can't decide - do I listen to other people's mixes, or not?? I have listened to a few of the bands tracks on their site, though, so I at least have some place to start sound-wise.

I reckon just listen to some live tracks by the band itself, so you have an idea of the sound they generally go for. Go creative with it if you feel like doing so, these mixoffs are great opportunities to stretch the limits - especially if your work entails delvering mixes to clients specs.

Good luck with it.

While the Terms and Conditions don't specifically address age, I'm sure local laws still apply. In the US, minors would need parental permission to enter this kind of contest....

I would have a conniption if my kid entered a contest without my consent!!!! (...and he knows it!! :D )

GearFest Mixing Contest Rules | pureMix.net

well I'll do it anyway and, IF I win......likely...... and they do say you have to be 18 or whatever then I'll just say my dad did it :)

Rules indicate a detailed description of the gear used must be submitted. How/when is this done and what are the limitations?

@davesdrums
A lot of people are asking about this.

Here is our point of view:
There is only one song to mix.
If you had had multiple tracks, it would maybe have made sense to master them and have them match one another sonically so that they sound like they belong to the same album. This is not the case here.
Here you have only one song and your goal is to please your artist and get the gig. So what do you do? Well, it's up to you. If you feel like patching an eq or a compressor on your master buss would help, then go ahead. If you feel like adding a limiter and have your track sound "competitive" then go ahead. This is your style and you do whatever you want in order to make it sound good.

This being said, the jury will compare and listen to all mixes at the same level.

Hope that helps.
G.

Nice contest, good music, well prizes..what else ? ..ah yes..at which level shall you listen the mixes ?
Thank you .

Sorry, are we supposed to master the track, or not? I've seen two conflicting answers. thanks!

dave

From the instructions.

Listening levels will be normalized from mix to mix, so there is no need to ‘maximize’, ‘master’ or crush your mix hoping that it will get picked because it’s louder.
A nominal -18 to -16 dbFs RMS (average) level is best.

This post is for Puremix - how/where do we go about including the description of the gear used, etc.? That is not clear in the instructions. Is there a facility to do so when uploading to SoundCloud?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back