GB mic's, first impressions.

Can anyone post some pics of the ACM-3 opened up? I haven't had time to do this. The folks at Edcor (transformers) want some input as to the size etc. Being so busy shipping, the only mic I have actually used so far, is the "510" I was only one of two people that ordered this mic. It's the USB mic, and I use it via "Gizmo project" for almost free phone calls anywhere in the world. Just yesterday I was talking to one of the engineers in China about our mics.

The Lundahl transformers will be back in stock dec. 5th, so once i get them i will take pictures of the thing open if no one else has yet.

anybody know how i'd get the tube out of the 6802T to replace it?
Take the two screws out that hold the red rubber socket retainer onto the chassis. The tube in its socket should then pull out of the top retainer and forward to replace the tube.

between the 5 or 6 mics i've seen the insides of here, i've found some tubes with no stamp, some with the brand name scratched off and some with a logo i dont recognize and "12AT7" under it.

well that should give you plenty of options for swapping-- 12ax7, 12at7, 6072a/6072/12ay7
i'm kind of surprised that they don't have the ubiquitous "chinese 12ax7b" tubes

i've often read it recommended that you burn in tubes for anywhere from several hours to a full day. i've always done so when i've swapped tubes.
i've used those ge jan nos tubes in several mics and found them to make a positive difference. right now i have a whole mess of nice nos tubes including, but not limited to: nos telefunken 12ax7's, ge jan and 5 star 6072a tubes, mullard 12a7's, ei gold elite 12ax7's. etc. and no tube mics that use them!

I did an A/B of the 6082T with a TLM193 the other day through a pair of API 212L's. The 6082T had remarkably better midrange characteristics for this particular vocalist.

And to anyone disappointed with the sound of their acm-3's, try some different preamps. I first tried them on the stock m-audio firewire 1814 bull***t, and they were overwhelmingly muddy in just about every application I tried them in.

However, the moment I got them on the API 212L's, they opened up completely. Still a little lacking in the higher frequencies, but I feel this characteristic makes them a good choice in several situations. For instance, micing the hammers on a baby grand yielded a balanced piano tone with a smooth, yet very present attack. No harshness at all. I'm definitely going to look into those transformers though....

what's the price tag on those lundahls? i've found a couple sites that carry then, but nobody seems to list the price - i'm curious because someone posted the link to the edcor trannys around a week ago, and those are only around $20, depending on whether you get the PCB mount or wire lead version.

what's the price tag on those lundahls? i've found a couple sites that carry then, but nobody seems to list the price - i'm curious because someone posted the link to the edcor trannys around a week ago, and those are only around $20, depending on whether you get the PCB mount or wire lead version.

70 shipped for one
135 shipped for two

so i just pulled the trigger on a peluso pk47 capsule for my 6802T, i also removed the inner mesh grill layer. i've already got the NOS GE Jan 6072a tube in there, so i'm left shopping for a transformer. i was looking at the tab funkenwerk BV314. anyone have any experience with these? it's a hefty pricetag so i'd like to get some opinions before i pull the trigger.

70 shipped for one
135 shipped for two
I just had two 2912s come in yesterday -- 135 on the nose. KandKaudio said they were running low on stock, but still had a few (before my order :D ). I'm planning to A/B (or, more accurately, before/after) one of them with the Edcor this weekend on an ACM-2 or maybe ACM-3, and I plan to put the other in my ACM-4, if it fits.

But even before that exercise, I can say that the Edcor is a good way to go -- good quality, low cost, and very good customer service.

Back