GB mic's, first impressions.

got to play a little more this weekend.

used the acm-2 on a guitar amp, and liked it.
gave a nice "oomph" to the mids, added body to a 57 nicely.
(something that was needed as it was a marshal mg, and i don't really like those amps, ANYTHING helps)

was not super impressed with the acm-4 on the amp here, it was too bassey.

happy surprise with the 583 on acu, bright in a way that i was looking for.
actually boosted the hi mids for a nice harpsicord-ish sound on some backing rythms.

without the same boost did good things to a acu that was a main, and not a backing track.
some weird/intresting over tones resulted from the combo of this guitar/mic combo.
kind of a phasey top end thing going on there, still deciding what i think of it.
but the over all effect was clean and clear.

a better mic for cheaper guitars like this one (which seem to tend toward shitty bass and lackluster hi end)
possibly not so much on an expensive one?
time will tell.

Hi giraffe,

I'm STILL waiting for my ACM 4 and was wondering how it sounds with vocals. Any chance you can try that and let us know how it sounds? :D

Thanks man!

Hi guys,

For your info, here are some photos of my mics from the group buy:

Pair of ACM-6802T

Pair of ACM-310

Pair of ACM-4 with shockmounts

Pair of ACM-3 with mic clips (no shockmounts)

Pair of ACM-583 with shockmounts

Pair of ACM-580L kits

I apologize that I don't have an audio review of the mics just yet, but that will be hopefully coming pretty soon...

For your info, here are some photos of my mics from the group buy

I take it those schweeet padded cases shown in the top two pictures (the ACM-6802T and ACM-310 pairs) were something you already had? Or did they come with the mics?

i am looking to buy an ACM 583. i know some people were not thrilled with them, so i'd be willing to buy one from someone that doesn't want theirs. thanks.

oh, btw in my earlier samples, A was the 6802T and B was the 414

Interesting. Was that 414 mounted on a shockmount? It has a lot of subsonic energy compared to the 6802T.

The 6802T is definitely brighter, and has more mid range presence and the 414 is darker. The 6802 has a bit of a rise (as compared to the 414) in the 8-11k range. But at 12k the 414 takes over.

Here is a relative response plot. I would NOT take this as any serious indicator of how either of these mics perform. it's just a relative response plot of his voice.

Attachments

• 6802_vs_c414.gif
    6802_vs_c414.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 394
one more try on the 583

had band practice yesterday, and when writing i often throw an omni up in the middle of the room so we can reference it later.
i usually throw up the nt2a (or an earth works, but usually the honesty is not flattering) but tried the 583.
it really sounded good. keep in mind this is a one mic recording for our own purposes only, but in this circumstance it excelled compared to the others i've used.

based on that experience i'll have to try it on my bass amp sometime.
maybe try some 2-track recordings with it.
i didn't like it at first, but i keep finding uses for it.

i am looking to buy an ACM 583. i know some people were not thrilled with them, so i'd be willing to buy one from someone that doesn't want theirs. thanks.

My GB mics haven't come in yet. I ordered 6--and no pairs. I did order a 583, so I'll check back in after I get mine. If it doesn't rock my world (or if it's close enough to something already in my locker) I might be open. Maybe even a trade--if you've got other GB mics that might make a pair with one of my others. Who knows?

As much as I stereo record, I really should've gambled and ordered some pairs.

song posted

www.myspace.com/brothersofabraham

the track is called "Harbinger"

I recorded this the day I got my gb mics. My bro visited and threw a bassline down a few days later. The song isn't very polished because i had just finished writing it that day, and it's my 2am singing voice. Oh yeah, and I mixed it with headphones because my wife is sleeping...in my control room :D I know that's a no no, but enough disclaimers. I thought you'd at least get some inkling of the sound of these mics.

the vox is the 6802t direct into my motu 828mkii pre.
there are probably phasing issues, but the ACM-4 is the middle acoustic mic with the 6802t on the left in omni and the 583 on the right (so I had them all up). The ACM-4 is going through a cheap ART tube pre:( and I rolled off the bass and put some compression on that guitar track. I compressed the vocal and put just a little verb on it. electric guitar and bass were plugged direct into the motu. I don't have an amp right now.

Caotico--

Thanks for taking the time to record and post that. The song itself is a sweet little tune--I enjoyed listening to it. And the recording of the song gives me hope for my GB mics. (Just got & paid the shipping invoice yesterday. BTW, do you remember how long between invoice and getting your mics?)

Caotico--

Thanks for taking the time to record and post that. The song itself is a sweet little tune--I enjoyed listening to it. And the recording of the song gives me hope for my GB mics. (Just got & paid the shipping invoice yesterday. BTW, do you remember how long between invoice and getting your mics?)

thanks. :)

edit: i live in so cal and went to pick my mics up as soon as Chance said I could, so I just gave him cash for the paypal fees. so I don't know how long it will take you. But I hope they come soon.

Last edited:
I just tried the 240 on snare last night and it did a quite excellent job. Nice sharp transients. However, I did need to kick in the -10 pad on the mic as well as a -10 pad on my preamp as that booger was hot... but no distortion to speak of.

Back