G string Issues... Or any kind of string....

The gear ratio on a tuner is not important as far as stability goes. Even cheap tuners stay in tune. Strings do not slip on the tuner post as long as you have one and a half to two and half turns. The break angle is not important and will not impact tuning stability as long as the fixed point is at the edge of the nut.

^^^^^ this ^^^^^ tuners don't slip .... a worm gear cannot slip ...... it's basically impossible unless you have a broken tooth in which case you'll never get it in tune in the first place.

How did the term "G-string" ever come into vogue, when speaking of sexy woman's undergarments, anyway? What's the story there?
Apparently in the 19th century, the term 'Geestring' referred to a string that American Indians wore to hold up their loin cloths.
Who can tell ?
I rarely find the G string goes out of tune quickly but I did find that the G would break alot more frequently than any of the others. I was the string breaking man {one got rather bored of 'breaking my G string' jolly japes, jests, jousts and jokes}. In the end, a friend of mine just gave me some money and said 'go buy yourself a proper guitar' so I bought a 12 string and I still have my old faithful Ozark. I love didgy G strings !

I think it happens most with G and B string because those are the strings most folks bend the most. I agree the machines probably aren't the problem, but don't discount the importance of proper securement to the peg. Everybody's probably going to tell me this is wrong, but a friend showed it to me many moons ago and I've been doing it ever since with no problems. When you put the string on, slide it through the hole, leave enough slack for a couple of wraps, and tthen immediately on the other side of the peg wrap the free end of the stringin the opposite direction of how the string is going to be wrapped around the peg. Go one half a turn so that the free end comes back around to where the string is going into the peg. Slip the tail under the part of the string going into the peg and then pull it straight up. Now as you tension the string, the first wrap will sit on the tail effectively tieing something of a knot so that the string cannot slip. Tune up as normal, stretch as normal, etc. Don't know if I explained that very well... Anyway, not a 'necessary' thing by any means, but there's a lot of tension on the strings and the unwound ones are really quite slippery. This method ensures no possibility of slippage on the peg.

J

Geeeeezzz.......I stumble in here with my best Evelyn Wood speed reading tactics and what do I find?
:laughings:

I find a bunch of gnarly guys talking about "g string issues" and "talcum powder" and "lube the nut" and "cork grease" and "fucking worm".... just when I thought I was starting to trust you guys. I hope no newbie strangers come in here....
:laughings:

I nominated this thread for sticky status.

^^^^^ this ^^^^^ tuners don't slip .... a worm gear cannot slip ...... it's basically impossible unless you have a broken tooth in which case you'll never get it in tune in the first place.

I guess you've never seen the very common tuners where the gear is screwed to the shaft the string is attached to. I've seen several instances where the screw had loosened to the point where the gear could wiggle on the shaft. You could tune the guitar, but due to the looseness of the gear/shaft "joint" the tuning can "slip"...

Once again a string cannot slip on the post and the capstan, worm gear arrangement cannot slip. Disregard any post that says other wise. No need to do any fancy fixings at the tuner post. because as stated the strings do not slip.

I've noticed the problem on many of my 3/3 style headstock guitars over the years. You know, 'gibson' style.

Rarely have I seen it on my straight 6 style, or 'strat' style axes. (Only one I can recall was an Epi!) Any merit to this, or have I just been lucky?

Back