G string Issues... Or any kind of string....

The so called "stretching in" is a bit of a misnomer. When you yank the new strings you aren't stretching them to any great degree what you are doing is seating them correctly on the fixed points. The string has to operate within its elastic limit ie if you stretch it by pulling on it or when you pluck it it will return to its original position and tension with the same mass per unit length. If it didn't do so the string simply wouldn't work. All modern strings have an elastic limit way above their operational loadings. String breakage is normally down to a stress point at one of the fixed points but it is possible to pull them until they break.

Having said all that I give them a pull when I put a new set on. If the instrument is well set up it isn't really an issue.

LOL @ G-string issues. :laughings:

I had that problem, it was basically because my machine head was defective. bought some new ones and the job was a good'n. I'd have a look at the machine heads, are they coming apart at all? do they feel a bit loose at any part?

I will give odds that it is NOT the machine head. As stated they either work or they fail catastrophically. Even the really cheap ones. Don't be sold a set of tuners by anyone who says they will solve this problem they wont.

Begging your parton, Mutt, but if benherron's changing the tuners made the problem go away, what else could it have been (at least in that instance?) I'm not disagreeing that it is rare, and certainly changing tuners is gonna cost you more than pocket change, but how else would you explain his experience?

Begging your parton, Mutt, but if benherron's changing the tuners made the problem go away, what else could it have been (at least in that instance?) I'm not disagreeing that it is rare, and certainly changing tuners is gonna cost you more than pocket change, but how else would you explain his experience?

I'll give you a 1/1000 odds on it being the tuner. How much do you want on it? Keep in mind I have been doing this shit for a very long time.

As far as benwotsit and his new tuner fixing a problem like this, fine if he thinks that was it. It wasn't. I've had plenty of not happy people come to me because they have been sold tuners for just such a problem. I've known shops sell a set of tuners and lube the nut, same fix but you are in for the price of a set of tuners as well. If you want to go buy new tuners thats fine but it won't fix a tuning issue like this. Lubing the nut or cutting it right will.

I have always had slight tuning issues with the G-string on a guitar. I think it's just as the strings get old and the intonation goes out a bit. I don't think it's that it actually falls out of tune. I think it's that it's just more noticable on the G-string when the intonation goes out, because to my mind the g-string is the string that is more likely to make something sound like ass. It's hard to explain, but I've heard other guitarists say it too. It's a weird string and sometimes it's best to just avoid playing it altogether. Maybe it's because it's the central point between E and e, and that's where the inherant issues with equal temperament tuning get pushed to from either side....or something. I don't know if anyone else knows what I'm talking about or if this makes any sense.

I have always had slight tuning issues with the G-string on a guitar. I think it's just as the strings get old and the intonation goes out a bit. I don't think it's that it actually falls out of tune. I think it's that it's just more noticeable on the G-string when the intonation goes out, because to my mind the g-string is the string that is more likely to make something sound like ass. It's hard to explain, but I've heard other guitarists say it too. It's a weird string and sometimes it's best to just avoid playing it altogether. Maybe it's because it's the central point between E and e, and that's where the inherant issues with equal temperament tuning get pushed to from either side....or something. I don't know if anyone else knows what I'm talking about or if this makes any sense.

Most gauges of the G string wound or unwound need to operate closer to their elastic limits so when they start to wear you get intonation problems. Basically old strings suffer from intonation problems because the mass per unit length has to be the same along the entire length to sound true. If you take into account all the wear and the little fret notches that appear on the underside of the string then that even mass per unit length has been compromised. It's most noticeable on the G due to the relatively thinner (less mass/unit length) and the tension ratio of that string. It also effects the high b and e more than the wound E A and D.

Once a string has worn to such a degree that the intonation is shot there isn't much you can do other than change them.

My g string on my Epi LP doesn't stay in tune for very long.

I mean most of the strings kinda come unglued but i mean i can crank out 15 16 songs before i they bite

You play 15-16 songs without tuning between them? I take a second to check tuning after every take.

I suspect that changing the tuners only "fixed" anything because of the accompanying string swap and/or just moving things around. I'm no pro guitarist, but in 25 years of playing, I've never had a tuner slip even on cheapo guitars. It's a fucking worm/pinion gear. They don't just slip.

I'll give you a 1/1000 odds on it being the tuner. How much do you want on it? Keep in mind I have been doing this shit for a very long time.

...If you want to go buy new tuners thats fine but it won't fix a tuning issue like this. Lubing the nut or cutting it right will.

Oh, no argument that the odds are against the problem being the tuners, and when one can not determine conclusively a certain part is causing the problem and parts-changing becomes necessary, it is best to 1) go with the odds, and 2) replace the less expensive/easier to change parts. Please, do not interpret my post as questioning your procedure or expertiese. It's that one chance in a thousand that usually gets you!

Thanks, but I am going to pass on that bet- the odds are too tall for my blood, and I'd be a fool to bet against you on something which you are truly an expert! ;) (Shit, it can be difficult to not end a sentence with a preposition!)

Speaking of odds, but appropos of nothing else, I once knew a guy who played the horses- he said the surest way to make money at the track (after being the owner of the track!) is to always play the long shots. I saw what he meant, but I don't think I have the intestinal fortitude to follow that advise! Nor the money!

Geeeeezzz.......I stumble in here with my best Evelyn Wood speed reading tactics and what do I find?
:laughings:

I find a bunch of gnarly guys talking about "g string issues" and "talcum powder" and "lube the nut" and "cork grease" and "fucking worm".... just when I thought I was starting to trust you guys. I hope no newbie strangers come in here....
:laughings:

Once a string has worn to such a degree that the intonation is shot there isn't much you can do other than change them.

This is just not true. I have it on good authority that talcum powder will rejuvinate the strings to the degree that they will actually sound more in tune than in tune.

Johnsons baby powder is a must for all gigging musicians..

I thought you took the string off and boiled it before adding talcum powder...

It's hard to keep up with the changes... :laughings:

And I agree with the G string being the most problematic, even on guitars.

Although if there's a string that always seems to sound out of tune when played on its own, without reference to any other string, I'd vote B. Hate them...

The high G string is ALWAYS the first to go, on a 12-string, to the point that most folks end up, about 5 minutes after a string change, playing an ELEVEN String guitar.

How did the term "G-string" ever come into vogue, when speaking of sexy woman's undergarments, anyway? What's the story there?

Back