Further exploration in electronica

Pedullist

Stop it, I can't breathe
I wrote the basspart for this 'song' (it's not really a song, it's basically a bass part with some vague melody LOL) a few years ago. Unfortunately it was very, VERY, difficult (I didn't write it on bass, I just scribbled down the notes and didn't care about playability).

Tom (SLuiCe) is a man who never cares about playability. I'm currently recording bass tracks for his album, and my skills have been improved a whole damn lot just by figuring out how to play his keyboard programmed bass parts.

So, as a result, I can finally play my own song! LOL :D I played it on my fretted Pedulla, and through my Korg G5 bass synth. Hence, the 'hyaaaa' kinda sound. :)

The noise in the background is what you hear when I open the door of my apartment. I always keep it closed during recording, but this time I thought it might add a nice ambiemce to the song.

During the bridge you can hear one of my cats purr. His name is Phosphor Lotus Wittgenstein

Btw, I have serious doubts about the snare. I wanted an unnatural snare, but I feel like it's a little bit too unnatural.

Vierkant

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2639&alid=799

Last edited:
"Hyaaaa" - now that's a descriptive word.

Really unusual, this one - the playing is superb - the ambience thing works really well, I even heard a dog bark (but I missed the purring of the kitty, who's very cute BTW). The snare is yukky to my ears - I can see where it would have its place (somewhere) but the tune is sort of haunting and mysterious and the snare detracts from it. Now if you're just looking for some real CONTRAST it's definitely the snare to use.

I'm catching some little static-like pops throughout - intentional?

I'm curious to see where you're going with this. The overall 'picture' is pretty nice but it's not clear to me yet.

Cool concept!!
Your friend south of the border

It would be hypnotic except for that snare...

Nice stuff...

Hell, I still keep listening to Opel Manta and Telephoonbot.

When I have opened a door of an apartment, I have only heard the sound of the florescent lights buzzing in the hallway?

You have a very funky hallway!

I like the tune! I kinna reminded me of some older Zappa style jazz from the Grand Wazoo except for that disco snare, a left-over from your disco phase, I assume?

Very pleasant and skillfully crafted.

I enjoyed.

Cheers! :)

Pedullist said:
The noise in the background is what you hear when I open the door of my apartment. I always keep it closed during recording, but this time I thought it might add a nice ambiemce to the song.

that was a very interesting idea....it turned out very nicely....it does add some great ambience..........the drums sound seems a little too dry to my ears for some reason.........nice bass groove.........very cool

Reminds me of Lambchop for some reason, which is odd cuz Lambchop doesn't sound like this - I think it's the feel of the chord changes. In terms of sound, it leans a bit toward some stuff I've heard by Weather Report.

So - Weather Report plus Lambchop. Have you any idea how good that is? This is a lovely, lovely original piece of music. Even that tinny snare sound is perfectly acceptable, cuz it's electronica.

So #2 - do you have any other musical ideas like this one lurking about the back rooms of your mind?

You realize, of course, that now *everyone's* gonna want to work with Sluice in order to get their chops up LOL.

Really nice tune, Ped. :)

dobro said:

You realize, of course, that now *everyone's* gonna want to work with Sluice in order to get their chops up LOL.
Hey.....it worked for me. Tom's stuff is quite challeging to play with.

LOL Steve, you're a really good player. If Tom's stuff challenged you, I'm staying far away from it LOL.

I come from a dull, thick-fingered people, slow and clumsy of wit and movement...

I probably should have waited to have my coffee for this, but I can't.

That single note slide that starts at 1:44 is awesome. Nice touch.

A softer snare is definitely required IMO.

Other than that, very cool piece of music, Tjarko!

Pedullist said:

I have serious doubts about the snare. I wanted an unnatural snare, but I feel like it's a little bit too unnatural.

you got it,
I like the music man.....
and the background sound is interesting....

a warmer snare and you are done I think....

Good stuff,
Joe

dobro said:
LOL Steve, you're a really good player. If Tom's stuff challenged you, I'm staying far away from it LOL.

Me too! :) I just read the rest of the thread. LOL. Actually these guys are skilled players. But what impresses me most is their ability to get inside a piece of music and move around like it was their own, and yet behave respectfully while inside, like any welcomed guest. It's a truly great feeling. They don't make music just for entertainment. And like you Paul, they're not afraid to take chances!!!!!

Hey, I really like this...I can't put my finger on it, it's like the first four of five verses of the snare it sounds pretty harsh but when the tune starts to groove I think it's very good. What ambiance man, this is killer stuff.

Look, Pedullist - I don't want to put you off your stride, but this is one of my favorites from you - it's just excellent. All sorts of stuff has been spinning off and out of your mind since you started playing bass on Tom's songs. Plus those traffic cum car door noises are strangely poignant - makes me feel like the person opening that car door is going through something intense and private. What a good song. I know now why it reminded me of Lambchop. But it don't remind me of Lambchop no more. It reminds me of this place in the Low Country...

Does 'Vierkant' translate into English?

Vierkant = Square.

The basspart is, in a way, a Squarepusher ripoff (hence the title). Squarepusher is a guy who mixes 70's jazzrock (Pastorius, Miles) with jungle and electronica. He is a huge inspiration ;) for me.

He has an amazing sense for melody and harmony. And he is as good as Pastorius on bass. His ability to take everything beyond its so-called 'maximum' is stunning. He makes one of the most interesting kinds of electronica at this moment, IMO.

Glad you like. I've got a few more coming up I think.

some older Zappa style jazz from the Grand Wazoo

it leans a bit toward some stuff I've heard by Weather Report

*looks at the big pile of cd's next to his PC and discovers Zappa's Hot Rats and the Grand Wazoo AND Weather Report's Sweetnighter and Night Passage*

LOL :D

I liked this a lot

Very nice ambience. It really conjures up an atmosphere.

I've been messing with the Matrix sequencer in Reason to try

and get some out of control bass lines.

You've got me thinking now. I have Blue Box sound FX for

Gigastudio. I think I'll experiment comping over some

streetscapes. I love this board for inspiration.

Thanks Pedullist!

Scott

I liked it a lot. I could have used some pain releiver some where...as the snare was ripping my head off in the phones.

I also hear a jan hamer synth lead on top of it somehow.

ambience worked great.

nice bass

Very nice melodies Ped. I'm curious, when you did the score for this what do those slides around 2:00 look like?

The ambient stuff makes it sound very cool, giving this a short film or video type of feel.

Looks like your chops are getting significantly slick. Keep up the good work.

Hey Ped,
This was Verrrry cool man. Vibe-wise, this coulda been a great musical addition to Sandler's "punch drunk love". Nice lonely feel with that street noise in the background. I loved the bass playing in this. The stac. playing was tight and in the pocket. ...nice groove too. It sounded solid and intentional without getting to "jazzy" and sounding like it was being played to show everyone how well you spank your monkey:D REAL nice here man.... Im keeping this.
gw/5

Back